Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
seagoal

2019/2020 Beer League Discussion

Recommended Posts

Stats are all finally up from last weekend. I think I did ok.

Untitled.png.1b631ebf41c079a1ec6a2471a583b82d.png

Edit: that "72 save" performance was closer to 36 and one was an ENG. So closer to a 0.914% than .944 lol.

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After losing a shutout with 45 seconds left in the game a few weeks ago, I finally got the monkey off my back this weekend with a shutout (in the playoffs for good measure!) in this competitive beer league I’m playing in this season.

This is my first shutout in this ‘Premier’ beer league so I just knew I had to grab the puck after this big win! 

A2F45376-72FF-435C-AEE6-05FA6DDD2445.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea, financially lol

Oh, I know the feel. Hope your wallet or portfolio recovers quickly :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone here have advice for dealing with pressure in the playoffs? I have never been in an adult league playoff before and my team isn't exactly the best. I'm hoping to just get through the first game and see where it goes from there. I have no idea what to expect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, breaklouis35 said:

Does anyone here have advice for dealing with pressure in the playoffs? I have never been in an adult league playoff before and my team isn't exactly the best. I'm hoping to just get through the first game and see where it goes from there. I have no idea what to expect.

For me it's all about putting myself in the best mind space when the pressure is high. I choose to focus on what I can do, and keep repeating internally the basics - eyes on the puck, lined-up stance, and hands out. I just think about those 3 things and try to ignore the rest. Works much better than thinking about how much time is left, what the score is, and how I'm playing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has everyone's games gone recently?

We had a 0-0 tie last week in the playoffs and I don't know how to feel. Wanted the win so bad as we need the points, but I have to be happy about the shutout too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very first regular season of organized hockey wrapped up Monday with a solid 4-2 win over a stronger team with more subs. At 2-2 in the final 5 minutes, I made a toe kick save on a breakaway shot that the guys on the bench told me was labeled for the far corner. They said it looked awesome - lol! At least we have fans on the bench, if not in the stands.

Honestly, I knew I was going to have a good game. That's never really happened to me before; I may think I'll have a good game, and there are certainly nights where I think I'll be crap, but that night I felt good, felt confident, and just went with it. Many thanks to all the folks here who have helped me get to that point; it was a long time coming! LOL!

I played 14 of 15 regular season games, and had 6 wins, and had a 3.78 GAA, which would have been good enough for me to be a starting NHL goalie circa 1981 or so.

In the season write up that our player/manager sent, he noted that "Team goaltending stats are improved this year, almost a full goal a game less at 3.68 GAA (last year: 4.48 GAA). Congrats to Lucky Pucker (and John who pegged our only shut out of the year) for their excellent work"

So here are the standings. I can't tell you how proud I am that despite being on the second-lowest scoring team in the league, I still managed to help the team end up tied for third-fewest goals against! Really, I was just thrilled to not have the MOST goals against, nor was I involved in the biggest blow-outs this season in our league (a few other teams gave up 8, 9 and even 10 goals in a single game).

image.png.c6808cf65621c1037f607f674a22a1e0.png

Anyway, thanks for looking!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

How has everyone's games gone recently?

We had a 0-0 tie last week in the playoffs and I don't know how to feel. Wanted the win so bad as we need the points, but I have to be happy about the shutout too.

Nice - I still haven't earned a goose egg yet, so I'd totally take a 0-0 tie! 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Nice - I still haven't earned a goose egg yet, so I'd totally take a 0-0 tie! 😀

Thanks for putting things into perspective! Much needed. 

And you'll get yours eventually. Remember to keep that puck when you do. You'll cherish it for a long time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

How has everyone's games gone recently?

We had a 0-0 tie last week in the playoffs and I don't know how to feel. Wanted the win so bad as we need the points, but I have to be happy about the shutout too.

Played Tuesday night, first game in about 6 weeks after a groin tear or sports hernia (not really sure), playing for the 8th seed vs the 5th seed in an elimination game. Managed to stay mostly in one piece and picked up a 4-3 win. 

Ties suck. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my league was temporarily suspended today. I think it's safe to assume it will be cancelled as of right now.

Sucks man. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyone else in a similar spot right now? We had a great shot to get to the finals and win some money, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same, currently in first place, but no money to be had.  Sucks.  Got my new stick this week and was looking forward to trying it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, creasecollector said:

So my league was temporarily suspended today. I think it's safe to assume it will be cancelled as of right now.

Sucks man. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyone else in a similar spot right now? We had a great shot to get to the finals and win some money, too.

So cancellation Thursday kinda set the tone for things here: NHL, then Schools, then Hockey Canada, all youth hockey. All that was really left was men’s beer leaugue and pick up. I played my usual Friday pick up yesterday, but we were the only ones that showed up for our ice time (out of 4 rinks). Later in the day, the leagues cancelled, and finally the arenas announced closure until April.

I get it, but it sucks because I’ve been on a hot streak lately, and playing confidently - the most since I started playing goalie! Playoffs were to start next Wednesday, but no more. The two times I played hockey this week were the best I felt all week, so dealing with other people’s cray-cray reactions will be a lot harder without hockey as an outlet.

Edited by Lucky Pucker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:09 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

So cancellation Thursday kinda set the tone for things here: NHL, then Schools, then Hockey Canada, all youth hockey. All that was really left was men’s beer leaugue and pick up. I played my usual Friday pick up yesterday, but we were the only ones that showed up for our ice time (out of 4 rinks). Later in the day, the leagues cancelled, and finally the arenas announced closure until April.

I get it, but it sucks because I’ve been on a hot streak lately, and playing confidently - the most since I started playing goalie! Playoffs were to start next Wednesday, but no more. The two times I played hockey this week were the best I felt all week, so dealing with other people’s cray-cray reactions will be a lot harder without hockey as an outlet.

Video footage or it never happened :D :P 

No ice time definitely hurts right now, physically and emotionally. Looks like spring training will start earlier than expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 7:09 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

I get it, but it sucks because I’ve been on a hot streak lately, and playing confidently

Why do you think they cancelled the season?

Need to make it fair for everyone else.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why do you think they cancelled the season?

Need to make it fair for everyone else.

Maybe; me getting the GAA just under 4.00 was perhaps seen as a threat...

But with the benefit of hindsight, I now recognize that what I thought was “a hot streak” was in fact fever, and what I mistook as confidence was actually delirious detachment from reality. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichMan said:

Video footage or it never happened :D :P 

No ice time definitely hurts right now, physically and emotionally. Looks like spring training will start earlier than expected.

Yeah, just have to fill the void with other endorphin-boosting activities. It’s been fun playing street hockey with the kids actually, but I’ll have to up my “real workouts” a bit to ensure that when the arenas do finally re-open, I don’t go in and injure myself!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our weekly shinny group was still up and running as of yesterday morning was finally shut down a few hours after we left for the day. Well, that's it for hockey season until summer rolls around. 

I'm all for the safety of others as the number 1 priority of course, but man, I hope my summer hockey in May is still a go. We'll have to see what unfolds from here on out, folks.  

Edited by creasecollector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Our weekly shinny group was still up and running as of yesterday morning was finally shut down a few hours after we left for the day. Well, that's it for hockey season until summer rolls around. 

I'm all for the safety of others as the number 1 priority of course, but man, I hope my summer hockey in May is still a go. We'll have to see what unfolds from here on out, folks.  

I think everyone here is in the same boat. My league just finally cancelled games. Playoffs were to start on Wednesday.

Can't say I' was too thrilled off my stats for the season. Both of my main teams (Beavers/Brewers) were placed in a higher div for too long at the beginning and it definitely skewed my stats for the entire year. But, we also didn't play to either of our capabilities and it was a pretty up and down season.

Oh well. Taking a summer off for the first time in years may do me some good to finally reset.

Untitled.png.3efcf192cb2b596aa49a5326c0163327.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Log 4.12-C

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

"Woke up to snow this morning. It was beautiful. I could hear the sound of crunching under my feet as I walked to work. The air was still despite the few traffickers off to earn their own coin as well. It seemed desolate out there given the circumstances. 

My only source for hockey these past 2 weeks has been Youtube videos from Trav4Oilers and FutureProGoalie, articles and gear reviews on forums such as TheGoalNet and Facebook. I've caught myself perusing Netflix for hockey movies but there's is not much I haven't seen already.

It feels like there's some unfinished business. A void has settled. I must hold on for dear hope. Spring is upon us. Trail running will be ensuing."

Image result for day 3 without hockey: found a young lady sitting on my couch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...