True 1 Piece Skates: Is this chipping concerning?

Jonathon v

• TheGoalNet changed the title to True 1 Piece Skates: Is this chipping concerning?

On the chip: this is something that proves that this material is too brittle for the job the designer and fabricator is expecting it to perform. Carbon is very strong but brittle. When I was building bike frames, areas that could have impact were skinned with kevlar and fibreglass. Whilst oddly enough, I will go out on a limb and say you’re safe with that chunk gone, you had better not lose much more than that. There could be a stress crack somewhere around that chunk. 

Not trying to scare you, but that looks more than slightly concerning @Jonathon v

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

On the chip: this is something that proves that this material is too brittle for the job the designer and fabricator is expecting it to perform. Carbon is very strong but brittle. When I was building bike frames, areas that could have impact were skinned with kevlar and fibreglass. Whilst oddly enough, I will go out on a limb and say you’re safe with that chunk gone, you had better not lose much more than that. There could be a stress crack somewhere around that chunk. 

Not trying to scare you, but that looks more than slightly concerning @Jonathon v

So what should I do I’ve only had these for like a month or two

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Well put Bunnyman - would Kevlar provide the same rigidity as Carbonfiber ?

36 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

He told me I can send them to wherever they are in Winnipeg and he can fix them for free in 8 or less days. I can’t do that though because I play every week so I don’t really know what to do lol. Don’t have any other skates

Any buds you could borrow from? Maybe a rental place you could hit up?

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

He told me I can send them to wherever they are in Winnipeg and he can fix them for free in 8 or less days. I can’t do that though because I play every week so I don’t really know what to do lol. Don’t have any other skates

Buy a used pair on eBay cheap and use them for a couple weeks and resell them?

• 1 year later...

In a simmilar vein as the chipping.....

My skates seems to have quite a bit of chipping/cracking at the blade holder bit.

Now they are VH skates and are about 5 years old so not a warranty claim or anything like that.

Looking to/thinking about replacing the steel.  Will the internals of the blade holder crumble away when i take the current baldes out or is there no reason to be concerned?

Any one else's skates had this happen?

20210714_134357.jpg

20210714_134400.jpg

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Had the same thing happen to my one piece skates after they were just over a year old but thankfully true replaced them with two pieces free of charge. 

Based on that, i'd think changing the steel is a no-go? 

Just need to run with the steel i have or get new skates!?

They are over 5 years old so they've had a decent run!

12 hours ago, StevenC said:

Based on that, i'd think changing the steel is a no-go? 

Just need to run with the steel i have or get new skates!?

They are over 5 years old so they've had a decent run!

5 years is incredible for one piece skates! Or any skates for that matter. Changing steel is doable but risky. If you over tighten the blade you could crack the composite more. If you leave it too loose you could risk unnecessary flex making the space for the blade even bigger. Sounds like you don’t have much to lose considering how long those skates have lasted you though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

More reasons, to me, for non pro players who have to pay for their own skates to not wear these one piece skates.  I hope everything works out well for you though!

I thought long and hard about the one piece. Yes, I know how to repair them, but why? There is a reason why plastic and metal is used in everyday items, even in top-line luxury cars, over composite. For a race car, it’s a different story. For a pair of skates that gets replaced for free, it’s a different story. 

I knew a guy who built a 9.5 pound road bike. Not one ferrous bit on it, save for possibly the chain. Any non-loading bolt was replaced by carbon fibre. Any load-bearing bolt was titanium and bolts that bore a little load was made of aluminium. Chain had hollow pins and weight-relieved plates ($150 bike chain; wish I were kidding). Wheels were $5K! This thing cost him (at the time) $25K USD to build. Keep in mind this was over ten years back and now it would cost closer to $40-50K USD.

On a side trip whilst going home, I went to check his bike out in Switzerland. I lift it up. Impressively light weight. I asked him how it was to ride, and he told me that it had never been ridden (?!?). I would have folded it and at the time I weighed 140. I asked him why, in which he says that yes, at 7.5 stone (105 lbs.), his wife could ride it, but not only it did not meet the UCI weight limit of that time of 15 lbs, every pedal stroke would cause wear and tear. His chainrings were made of carbon fibre. He literally built it to see how light he could get it. 

The point of this meandering? Carbon composite is GREAT; however- there are certain places where it is meant for performance, NOT durability. Sticks are acceptable as they are not supposed to last forever; neither are skates, but they are meant to last a little while. True needs to make a version of the one piece for consumers and one for the pros.