Trouble with my C/A. Help me pick a new one!!!

8 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Ya but what about goalies like me who are too smal for Senior and pro but need that level of protection??? 

I have seen extra small on occasion. 

The thing that sucks for you is that unlike most members of the board who *possibly* are getting shorter and only growing *slightly* wider (lol), a custom unit would not make sense, as you probably would not get your money's worth unless you were on the ice daily. 

Is it the arms or the belly flap that is too long? That being said, try a few pro units on at a showroom and you might be able to find a pro unit that could fit. The arms are very easy to fix.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Tough spot when your in between sizes bud.  Have to go custom or find someone who can mod what you have or alter the smallest pro model you can find until it fits.  You can trim areas of padding that might be too large and/or shorten arms if you get creative enough.  Trust me, you play this position long enough and your always going to be messing with your gear, even when you can fit into and buy whatever you want.  Even the pros do it.  My advice to you if you can't get something else would be to go buy some foam, even a sleeping mat in the camping section of Walmart works good, and start gluing and sewing.  Another idea would be to get yourself a good roller hockey padded shirt and wear it underneath, adds a decent buffer and extra padding.  If you want help with this, a lot of us on here have been where you are and beyond and can help if you ask.  We can show you how to add/trim padding and how to add eyelets and lacing to C/A arms to shorten them.  This site is a wealth of experience and knowledge, "use" it as you see fit.

Yes but custom takes time and you have to go to a dealer that sells that kind of gear. Where I live there isn't any options for custom fitting 

I can say the same about bauer elite - I was sceptical at first, but must confirm that this shirt is realy good, even with pro level C&A you can feel the diference. Some of my friends use Rbk/CCm, but this one is too hot for me...

20 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Yes but custom takes time and you have to go to a dealer that sells that kind of gear. Where I live there isn't any options for custom fitting 

Where are you located?  Both Brown and Passau offer custom sized chest pads at a decent turn around.  I received my custom built Brown c/a in a matter of two weeks last year.  You don't need a retail shop to order these units as you will be working directly with the manufacturer.  If you play as much as you say you do then these are your best bets.  They're a little pricey but being you are so small I am sure there will be some kind of discounted rate compared to a full sized adult unit.  Since you will likely outgrow the unit quicker than an adult would you could always recoup some money and put it towards a new one by selling it to another up and coming goalie in your organization who may be in the same situation needing upgraded protection in a smaller size.  

@Brown Hockey is our resident Brown rep.

@GoalieTimmy33 is our resident Passau rep.

18 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Where are you located?  Both Brown and Passau offer custom sized chest pads at a decent turn around.  I received my custom built Brown c/a in a matter of two weeks last year.  You don't need a retail shop to order these units as you will be working directly with the manufacturer.  If you play as much as you say you do then these are your best bets.  They're a little pricey but being you are so small I am sure there will be some kind of discounted rate compared to a full sized adult unit.  Since you will likely outgrow the unit quicker than an adult would you could always recoup some money and put it towards a new one by selling it to another up and coming goalie in your organization who may be in the same situation needing upgraded protection in a smaller size.  

@Brown Hockey is our resident Brown rep.

@GoalieTimmy33 is our resident Passau rep.

Ok thanks

Thanks for the mention @SaveByRichter35 

@Awgoalie164 we can definitely make a custom unit for you and usually it only takes a few weeks. Custom does cost more as most have already mentioned, but when you want an excellent fit and incredible protection then it's definitely the way to go.

Feel free to take a look at our new customization form for our Chest Protectors: https://brownhockey.com/products/ca/specs - it will show you the options that can be customized and more importantly we gather all of your measurements here too. Unfortunately there are no prices on this customization form, so feel free to shoot us an email (goalies@brownhockey.com) with the options you want. 

If you have any questions about products or issues using the form please email us and we'll gladly help you out.

--

The puck stops here!

22 minutes ago, Brown Hockey said:

@Awgoalie164 we can definitely make a custom unit for you and usually it only takes a few weeks. Custom does cost more as most have already mentioned, but when you want an excellent fit and incredible protection then it's definitely the way to go.

Feel free to take a look at our new customization form for our Chest Protectors: https://brownhockey.com/products/ca/specs - it will show you the options that can be customized and more importantly we gather all of your measurements here too. Unfortunately there are no prices on this customization form, so feel free to shoot us an email (goalies@brownhockey.com) with the options you want. 

If you have any questions about products or issues using the form please email us and we'll gladly help you out.

--

The puck stops here!

My pleasure!  Its the only c/a I will wear and will always refer people to you guys first.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:42 PM, Brown Hockey said:

--

The puck stops here!

Ok thanks I'm still looking cause I want it too fit but be able to last so I'm not sure custom fit is gonna work

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the same situation when I was in Bantam/Midget. Ended up having to order a custom unit to get the protection i required. That was 15 years ago (wow) and I still wear it, and it’s still as protective as the day I took it out of the box. Unfortunately that company isn’t around anymore 

On 7/31/2017 at 9:20 PM, Awgoalie164 said:

... I don't have enough time to be checking everything all of the time. Hockey is my life and future.

I will add that these two sentences are  completely opposing ideas. Kind of like saying Sebatian Vettel rolls up to the track 5 minutes before flag time, hops in the Ferrari at the start line hits the throttle and bing, bang boom checkered flag...

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Well this is what happens when teenagers get involved.

We were all young once and this is a community. We need to welcome all ages and have patience with the kids. They come for help, not chirps. 

The thread is fine... but maybe the title needs a nose job?

On 4/17/2018 at 6:29 AM, Matt30 said:

I was in the same situation when I was in Bantam/Midget. Ended up having to order a custom unit to get the protection i required. That was 15 years ago (wow) and I still wear it, and it’s still as protective as the day I took it out of the box. Unfortunately that company isn’t around anymore 

I went with a CCM Premier Pro and it’s great

46 minutes ago, Awgoalie164 said:

I went with a CCM Premier Pro and it’s great

That's great! Thanks for the update. Within reason, there are no bad questions. Please don't be discouraged with any of the chirps. Some of us are old and crusty and don't like it when things are done differently. We are happy you are here. Share some pics and a review on the unit!!! 

Archived