G4 Sr vs G3 Pro

ThatCarGuy

Alright I don't know if my G4 just isn't broken in yet or what but I can't catch anything with it. My G3 glove is perfect for me and I was under the impression that the G4 Sr would be identical to the G3 Pro but I've noticed some minor differences between the two in how they close and the shape of the glove itself. My G3 has curved fingers while the G4 has flat fingers. I feel this makes it harder for me to trap the puck when catching it. The glove break on the G4 also feels like it's in a different spot than the G3. I see where people get the "oven mitt" feel from the G4 now though the G3 feels like a glove should. I guess here's my question, how can I get my G4 to feel like the G3?

Use it. When I went from my GT1 to GT2, it took me a few weeks to get used to the new break angle and how to catch properly. I obsessively was comparing the two gloves for the first two weeks I had my new set. Once I sold my GT1 set and just focused on my GT2, I adapted and it broke in well.

Just give 'er some more time bud.

30 minutes ago, Teezle said:

The addition of the hypercomp layer in the palm is what makes it feel slightly different, I think. I had a similar feeling, at first, going from the R\G3 to R\GT2 (both 75 degree breaks), but it went away as I broke it in more.

He has the Sr level G4. So no hypercomp.

17 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Does it have a practice palm insert?

I've made sure that neither the G3 Pro nor the G4 Sr have a practice palm. 

7 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I have a G3 pro and G4 Sr.  I have them feeling pretty similar after doing the keeps33 method of breaking in a glove a few times. When working in the G4 and closing it I would try to isolate the the middle part of the break and make sure the two adjoining sections were pivoting 

Link to the keeps33 method? I've never tried to break in a glove before since I've always gotten used gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking more at my glove, I think I figured out what the difference is. In the R\G4 and R\GT2 gloves, there is an additional piece of protective material in the break of the glove, and that is absent on the R\G3.

R\G4 (senior, not pro model):

The glove break is along both of these lines, with the extra protective piece in the middle. You definitely feel it in your palm, just below the base of your fingers, when you close the glove. No matter how broke in the glove is, that piece in the middle is not going to bend/compress like the pieces around it, and it will always have a "double-hinge" break.

image.thumb.png.1689c9a7d49db197587e7845276d4afd.png

R\G3:

The break is along this single line only. Honestly, I like it better, too.

image.png.1f70b7218bbc531329b7e26150eaaab5.png

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Fineee. Either way there’s no better way to get used to a piece of gear than facing +50 shots every single game. 

How is the SR stuff holding up for you? Ive only had custom "pro" gloves but want give warrior a try and deciding if its worth spending the extra money on getting pro gloves or sticking with SR. My main concern is longevity and stingers, I had a 9k SR glove and I hated it and felt every shot in it. I'm currently using Simmons 999 glove and blocker, but want to try a more catching glove style. The Simmons is suppose to have a pro palm, but I'm not sure if it actually does or not.

49 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

How is the SR stuff holding up for you? Ive only had custom "pro" gloves but want give warrior a try and deciding if its worth spending the extra money on getting pro gloves or sticking with SR. My main concern is longevity and stingers, I had a 9k SR glove and I hated it and felt every shot in it. I'm currently using Simmons 999 glove and blocker, but want to try a more catching glove style. The Simmons is suppose to have a pro palm, but I'm not sure if it actually does or not.

Not ThatCarGuy, but the internals are the same as the pro model from the last iteration, so in essence- you are still getting a pro glove, just at Senior pricing and with fewer options than pro. 

My GT2 Sr (non pro) stuff has been holding up well since over the summer. Playing 1-3 times a week usually with a S&P as well. No stingers on my glove at all (without the practice palm insert) an it’s super broken in for puck handling as well. 

My non-pro Sr GTX (a GT from pure goalie) chesty is overall great but I’ve had some stingers in the arms my last two games so next time I might get the Pro chesty. 

4 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Personally after switching back and forth between the g4 sr and the g3 pro a bunch lately I prefer the g3 by a long shot. The G3 pro has held up very well and I still don’t get stingers. The G4 not so much. Had to put the practice padding in to prevent bruises. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not ThatCarGuy, but the internals are the same as the pro model from the last iteration, so in essence- you are still getting a pro glove, just at Senior pricing and with fewer options than pro. 

Hate to break it to you but the g3 pro feels wildly different than the g4 sr after switching back and forth a couple times. 

13 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Personally after switching back and forth between the g4 sr and the g3 pro a bunch lately I prefer the g3 by a long shot. The G3 pro has held up very well and I still don’t get stingers. The G4 not so much. Had to put the practice padding in to prevent bruises. 

Hate to break it to you but the g3 pro feels wildly different than the g4 sr after switching back and forth a couple times. 

What say you @Kirk3190?

I am not trying to embarrass you, but it is claimed the internals in the Sr. line are last generation Pro. Just want a bit of clarification.

G3 pro vs R/G4 pro,  yes its G3  and not R/G3 and R/G4 and not G4, does not exist. For sake of comparison below its just g3 and g4.

Blocker all the same except for the board  , hyper comb in g4, slight difference in stitching  patterns.

Glove like people saw was redesign, g3 felt more round like a pan vs catch glove with wider pocket and open.  The g3 has less protection and break as mentioned above vs. the g4.  G4 little stiffer but after using it a couple time its better, no need to dunk it in water,  for the  finger area,  u have to grab a roll of puck and curl the palm around the puck,, that's how you break in a glove and not leave it flat, that produces a perfect seal.  The G4 has better protection then G3.  With a Warrior removable catch glove liner in the G3-G4 you can add D3o in the palm and make it pro , U don't need the pro version,

Pads are where the real difference are.  Not going to waste time with what you already know from marketing material.  I like the G3 better it has a stiffer foam in the knee block and it is removable as well,  the G4 is not removable and is mushy foam making it unstable,  Also the air slide  in conjunction with the foam pushes the airslide foam into the block. To fix this u need to add a piece of dense plastic square the size of the knee place bt the layers to not have it collapse.

The inside front edge and side of shin.  The g3 is flat foam u can feel the puck if it hit the pad and rebounds out, on the g4 its more like a roll u can't feel the puck, it is absorbs and dies.

If you play between the G3 and G4 u can feel the difference, same with the knee blocks, g4 compresses, g3 does not.

The pad flex on the knee and thigh,  the g3 with single the knee break becomes way too flexible vs the G4 , no breaks w /hypercomb on the face of the pad.  The g3 breaks down at the flex point faster then the g4,  once the pad is flex u cant' unflex it.  If you want to flex these pads do it at the knee not thigh.   If you ever want to stiffen up the thighrise on the outside, you can grab a piece of plastic like ruler and slide it down the backside thighrise slot. add a hole(drill)  the plastic and add a lace through it to get it back if u want later.

These are small differences b/t the 2 pads. end of the day u can buy the sr and be fine , no need to spend more then 1k on a set if last season.

Archived