Skate Durability

TheGoalNet

I've had my 1-piece skates since March and have zero complaints to date. I've noticed a few tiny chip marks on the carbon blade holders but that's about it. Appears purely aesthetic and not structural. Performance wise, I couldn't be happier coming from a traditional cowling.

Probably most importantly, like others have already noted,  I've been very religious about maintenance:

- wiping off blades and exterior shell after each skate and before putting in my bag

- remove from my bag once home, take out the insoles and place on an equipment drying rack w/ fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got some new-to-me True skates that were used for about a year and a half and they seem fine so far (though I've only skated in them 5 times). Now, I'm not sure the fequency these were used at from the previous owner of the skates, and I suspect they weren't used much since they are in such good condition. I will update if anything major occurs. Granted, I only play 1-2 times a week right now so I suspect these will last me a long while. 

1720247439_true2pcgoalieskates.thumb.jpg.a7c4f0e4430cf119cfba0ea9ecb313ad.jpg

20 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

My 11ks look just as new after 5 years. It's called taking care of your equipment  😉

I don’t know how you keep skates looking new? Pucks, posts, and sticks chip and scratch away at the boot. Airing them out and cleaning them won’t correct that 

I recently replaced my true two piece skates after around 10 months of use 3-4 times/week.  The way the inside padding is glued around the back of the foot/ankle area makes it very easy for it to start pulling apart from the boot.  This had happened to mine and the padding started to rip as well.  I decided to just go ahead and sell them.  didnt' have any issues with rivets or anything.

40 minutes ago, Telfo said:

I recently replaced my true two piece skates after around 10 months of use 3-4 times/week.  The way the inside padding is glued around the back of the foot/ankle area makes it very easy for it to start pulling apart from the boot.  This had happened to mine and the padding started to rip as well.  I decided to just go ahead and sell them.  didnt' have any issues with rivets or anything.

What did you replace them with? My liners have been holding up over a yr now. But eyelits and rivets been a problem. I’m now getting ankle pain too. 

40 minutes ago, Wrbsti15 said:

What did you replace them with? My liners have been holding up over a yr now. But eyelits and rivets been a problem. I’m now getting ankle pain too. 

Bauer 2x pro.  Huge improvement in weight.  The true skates definitely have a unique fit in how tightly they fit around the ankle, which I liked at first, but I am coming around to the idea that it may be more detrimental than having a looser fitting ankle like most other skates.

1 hour ago, Telfo said:

Bauer 2x pro.  Huge improvement in weight.  The true skates definitely have a unique fit in how tightly they fit around the ankle, which I liked at first, but I am coming around to the idea that it may be more detrimental than having a looser fitting ankle like most other skates.

Nice. I’ve been looking at the Bauer 2x pro and ccm ft2 to replace my true 2 piece. Did you get retail or custom? 

2 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Nice. I’ve been looking at the Bauer 2x pro and ccm ft2 to replace my true 2 piece. Did you get retail or custom? 

Do you know what fit you are? I have seen 2020 Bauer and CCM skates and they both look exciting. If you wait until the spring, you should have 4 very good options to choose from. CCM AS3 and 2020 Bauer are both big steps up from AS1 and 2S Pro. This is not a "minor" release year.

5 hours ago, Telfo said:

When I put on my skates, I use my index and middle fingers to cover that seam and help guide my foot into the boot. I also pull the tongue almost as far out as it can go with very loose laces; the way my foot angles into it is more like putting on a ski boot than putting on any of my previous skates. Maybe I got lucky, but I haven't had a single issue in any of the common "problem areas" so far.

38 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Do you know what fit you are? I have seen 2020 Bauer and CCM skates and they both look exciting. If you wait until the spring, you should have 4 very good options to choose from. CCM AS3 and 2020 Bauer are both big steps up from AS1 and 2S Pro. This is not a "minor" release year.

AS2 you mean? It's essentially the same boot but with the FT2 runner now.

CCM lines are going to be the same runners, just different fitting boots.

5 hours ago, Telfo said:

Interesting that you are finding the loose fit better for your ankles. I developed ankle pain in my Bauer's (not when they were new, about 1.5 years in) but in the True 1 piece, the ankle pain is gone. I'm not sure what to attribute it to, it could be a number of things, but I felt the tight fit of the True's helped. 

The ideal goalie boot would have great lateral ankle support and not impede us at all when we crouch forward, but the two are almost mutually exclusive. Lateral ankle support inevitably comes with more material on the front of the boot, which makes it harder to crouch forward; less material on the front of our ankle gives us the ability to crouch forward more, but limits the amount of lateral ankle support the boot can provide.

Having been in player boots for the last two decades, I prefer a taller boot with tight laces and more ankle support. It's kind've a blessing in disguise as well, because when I want to get into a really low crouch it forces me to drop my butt and activate my glutes and quads; I can't "cheat" by bending my knees and ankles, and leaning out over my toes, like I could if my boots were looser.

21 hours ago, Telfo said:

I'm glad you posted this.  It got me thinking about why I've felt off wearing my True's.  I ended up doing the ankle cuff trick.  The visual difference is significant and it'll be interesting to see how they play tonight. 

IMG_20191016_220304.jpg

One change I've definitely liked is getting back on 3mm steel!

IMG_20191010_171943.thumb.jpg.06ef208fc7a603b7529c85b52dd5bd2b.jpg

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@mr_shifty1982 man those look barely used.

My pair looked far worse after only two years of use, and I take pretty good care of my gear. The Reebok logo on the inside of the cowling was almost gone.

I know right, and for the last 4 years it's been twice a week all year long. Pretty amazing. They are the 11ks which ones you had?

I switched to 2x and after 3 months they are already getting scuff marks from the posts. 

44 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I know right, and for the last 4 years it's been twice a week all year long. Pretty amazing. They are the 11ks which ones you had?

I switched to 2x and after 3 months they are already getting scuff marks from the posts. 

Think it was the nest step down, whatever those were called. 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, Wrbsti15 said:

I bought stock FT2 skates and ended up returning them after a couple of weeks(CCM gives you 60 days on retail skates) and got stock 2x pros.  They have a bit more heel depth than the FT2 and I like them a lot better.  the FT2 is much flatter than the true two piece or the 2x.  I almost fell backwards the first time I got on the ice with them because they felt tilted back so much more.

24 minutes ago, Telfo said:

I bought stock FT2 skates and ended up returning them after a couple of weeks(CCM gives you 60 days on retail skates) and got stock 2x pros.  They have a bit more heel depth than the FT2 and I like them a lot better.  the FT2 is much flatter than the true two piece or the 2x.  I almost fell backwards the first time I got on the ice with them because they felt tilted back so much more.

Good to know. I think I’m leaning towards the 2x pro. I tried on the ccm and a lower model Bauer. Only prob is no store locally has the 2x pro in stock in my size to try. 

On 10/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Puckstopper said:

I'm glad you posted this.  It got me thinking about why I've felt off wearing my True's.  I ended up doing the ankle cuff trick.  The visual difference is significant and it'll be interesting to see how they play tonight. 

IMG_20191016_220304.jpg

One change I've definitely liked is getting back on 3mm steel!

IMG_20191010_171943.thumb.jpg.06ef208fc7a603b7529c85b52dd5bd2b.jpg

What is the ankle cuff trick?

Archived