Skate Durability

TheGoalNet

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

What is the ankle cuff trick?

I assume he either bent the ankle cuff portion in or out to provide a difference in ankle support? One ankle does look slightly different than the other in his picture above. 

Would love to hear more from OP about this since I am a new True skate owner and have wondered about the ankle fit on these rock hard skates. Good so far, but always looking for ideas of course if something can provide a tighter fit without hindering my stance, performance, etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Puckstopper said:

I'm glad you posted this.  It got me thinking about why I've felt off wearing my True's.  I ended up doing the ankle cuff trick.  The visual difference is significant and it'll be interesting to see how they play tonight. 

IMG_20191016_220304.jpg

One change I've definitely liked is getting back on 3mm steel!

IMG_20191010_171943.thumb.jpg.06ef208fc7a603b7529c85b52dd5bd2b.jpg

Please explain the ankle cuff trick. I am still on the fence about what my next skate will be, but I am rocking Trues with a Vaughn cowling and that may be what I go back to if I don’t do a Bauer or CCM for my next skate. None the less, I am in True for now.

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Please explain the ankle cuff trick. I am still on the fence about what my next skate will be, but I am rocking Trues with a Vaughn cowling and that may be what I go back to if I don’t do a Bauer or CCM for my next skate. None the less, I am in True for now.

Maybe it is the use of shrink wrap on the ankle instead of lacing up the skate conventionally.

The old method was to bake and put them on your feet and lace them up just like a regular skate - here's a video showing the old method:

But that's been superseded by the new method, where you do not lace up the top three eyelets. Instead, you wrap shrink wrap around the heel and the ankle.

Here's a video showing the new method:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am wondering if whether or not there were some growing pains with these when production ramped up; after all, there are far fewer speed skaters than hockey players. I also remember when these were first available outside of pro ranks, there were a fair few rejects. I remember when you could buy the rejects from Scott directly. I never risked it with my weird to fit foot...

That being said, mine are in perfect nick and are definitely old enough to show problems, even with a six month layoff from playing. Mine were from the VH/True transition period.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, creasecollector said:

How long have you had these skates? And how often do you wear them? Hoping to get a long life out of mine as I bought them used, but they look pretty much brand new.

July 1, 2015 is when they were delivered :) I used to wear them 2-3 times a week, though that's now 1-2 times a month since I quit playing league games in Oct 2019. 

On 12/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I am wondering if whether or not there were some growing pains with these when production ramped up; after all, there are far fewer speed skaters than hockey players. I also remember when these were first available outside of pro ranks, there were a fair few rejects. I remember when you could buy the rejects from Scott directly. I never risked it with my weird to fit foot...

That being said, mine are in perfect nick and are definitely old enough to show problems, even with a six month layoff from playing. Mine were from the VH/True transition period.

Definitely think there were growing pains when True came on board and things ramped up. I actually dont think things were any different (as far as the fit/finish complaints about excess glue etc), but now its a major brand and not a small "mom and pop" handmade skate shop. At least as far as perception goes. I think more people were willing to accept issues when they were a small company. Mine certainly had some excess glue and stuff here and there. I couldn't care less if my feet didn't hurt anymore, which they didn't. First skates I've ever owned where my feet didn't hurt!

Mine show normal wear and tear but nothing signifiant. Some nicks here and there, the tongue is wearing out a bit but that's no big deal, and some "paint"(?) around the top is wearing through, but the liner is still totally intact, eyelets are good, rivets are all fine (granted they were done by JR so the quality is better than most LHS), no cracks or anything like that. The only real issue I have is that after losing 60lbs they're a bit loose. I'm sure a bake would help that but I've had them long enough that it's about time for a new pair anyway, especially since I want to go cowlingless. They're still plenty comfortable though, and still way way better than anything else I've ever worn, so I'm not really in any sort of rush. I'm now playing so rarely it's probably not worth the money anyway.

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

July 1, 2015 is when they were delivered :) I used to wear them 2-3 times a week, though that's now 1-2 times a month since I quit playing league games in Oct 2019. 

Definitely think there were growing pains when True came on board and things ramped up. I actually dont think things were any different (as far as the fit/finish complaints about excess glue etc), but now its a major brand and not a small "mom and pop" handmade skate shop. At least as far as perception goes. I think more people were willing to accept issues when they were a small company. Mine certainly had some excess glue and stuff here and there. I couldn't care less if my feet didn't hurt anymore, which they didn't. First skates I've ever owned where my feet didn't hurt!

Mine show normal wear and tear but nothing signifiant. Some nicks here and there, the tongue is wearing out a bit but that's no big deal, and some "paint"(?) around the top is wearing through, but the liner is still totally intact, eyelets are good, rivets are all fine (granted they were done by JR so the quality is better than most LHS), no cracks or anything like that. The only real issue I have is that after losing 60lbs they're a bit loose. I'm sure a bake would help that but I've had them long enough that it's about time for a new pair anyway, especially since I want to go cowlingless. They're still plenty comfortable though, and still way way better than anything else I've ever worn, so I'm not really in any sort of rush. I'm now playing so rarely it's probably not worth the money anyway.

Despite the primitive looking builds, I would definitely put these in the game changer category, as they have changed the game for skate fit. Everyone else now has a custom fit program that is now prominently advertised and made simple for employees to do. I would definitely say VH changed the game for skate fit.

Archived