Ultra Sonic - Bauer Supreme 2020 Line

TheGoalNet

Hey Bauer guys,

a couple of questions about these pads.  I am interested in buying them but I am really unfamiliar with Bauer specs and features to look for, hoping you guys can help me out:

1) are these the Pro or Senior version ?  What are the telling signs to look for for the two?

2) the leg channel looks really bare minimum?  Are there internal straps missing?  Are there removable pieces that are not here that I should ask about being available with the purhcase?

3) These are Medium (34)  I'm 5'10, FTK 19.5, and comfortably wear a 35 Vaughn.   Medium Bauer is for me, yes?

Thanks guys. 

20210403_111641.jpg

Edited by seagoal

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hey Bauer guys,

a couple of questions about these pads.  I am interested in buying them but I am really unfamiliar with Bauer specs and features to look for, hoping you guys can help me out:

1) are these the Pro or Senior version ?  What are the telling signs to look for for the two?

2) the leg channel looks really bare minimum?  Are there internal straps missing?  Are there removable pieces that are not here that I should ask about being available with the purhcase?

3) These are Medium (34)  I'm 5'10, FTK 19.5, and comfortably wear a 35 Vaughn.   Medium Bauer is for me, yes?

Thanks guys.

Not a Bauer expert, but I can chip in here.

1) these look like the pro.  Giveaway for me is the name embroidery patch on the inside top thigh rise and the Stabilislide knee block.

2) Leg channel looks fine. All the straps are there.  Only thing possibly missing is the Tune Fit Connect/Professor strap but that may not have been specced on the original order.

3) Sounds about right, you could probably pull off a Small. I'm in the same size range and would purchase a small.  I think @BadAngle41 and @ZeroGravitas are the same size and wore Small.

Here's a back pic of the 3S, I think the key features you're looking for to distinguish the two lines are the Stabilislide knee block and the CORTech skin on the front.

Your pic has the Stabilislide as it is a one piece construction. The 3S pictured below has the traditional three piece construction with the knee wing, riser, and landing pad.

image.thumb.png.3180f294fa0a41cd492ad9694022c5bb.png

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hey Bauer guys,

Thanks guys. 

20210403_111641.jpg

We’re the same height and have the same FTK measurement - I thought the Medium 2X was the right size for me, but from what I’ve seen the Ultrasonics run one size bigger than the 2X.  I’d guess they’d be one size too big, but that’s purely a guess.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

1) these look like the pro.  Giveaway for me is the name embroidery patch on the inside top thigh rise and the Stabilislide knee block.

2) Leg channel looks fine. All the straps are there.  Only thing possibly missing is the Tune Fit Connect/Professor strap but that may not have been specced on the original order.

3) Sounds about right, you could probably pull off a Small. I'm in the same size range and would purchase a small.  I think @BadAngle41 and @ZeroGravitas are the same size and wore Small.

Here's a back pic of the 3S, I think the key features you're looking for to distinguish the two lines are the Stabilislide knee block and the CORTech skin on the front.

Your pic has the Stabilislide as it is a one piece construction. The 3S pictured below has the traditional three piece construction with the knee wing, riser, and landing pad.

20 minutes ago, AdamL said:

We’re the same height and have the same FTK measurement - I thought the Medium 2X was the right size for me, but from what I’ve seen the Ultrasonics run one size bigger than the 2X.  I’d guess they’d be one size too big, but that’s purely a guess.

Perfect, thanks guys.

I would hope these have the Tune Fit/Professor strap but if they don't I would for sure get one made for them.  I have played with one for years now and would feel weird without one, I'm certain.

We have a legit hockey shop in our area now (thank you Kraken) so I might go check out the Bauer sizes today.  Speaking with Vaughn custom reps for years now I have always been cuspy for sizes and always opted for the larger size, 35.  They told me I was a half-size; it's probably the case that I am just so used to playing with pads that are slightly too big, technically speaking, which is fine with me.  

You guys convinced me fur that I am not a 35 in Bauer which is great.  Honestly though, it would be a really tough sell to get me to buy a Small - 33.  I think mentally that would just throw me off.  I feel really good right now that Medium - 34 is my best bet.  I'll go check out these at my local shop. 

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Perfect, thanks guys.

I would hope these have the Tune Fit/Professor strap but if they don't I would for sure get one made for them.  I have played with one for years now and would feel weird without one, I'm certain.

We have a legit hockey shop in our area now (thank you Kraken) so I might go check out the Bauer sizes today.  Speaking with Vaughn custom reps for years now I have always been cuspy for sizes and always opted for the larger size, 35.  They told me I was a half-size; it's probably the case that I am just so used to playing with pads that are slightly too big, technically speaking, which is fine with me.  

You guys convinced me fur that I am not a 35 in Bauer which is great.  Honestly though, it would be a really tough sell to get me to buy a Small - 33.  I think mentally that would just throw me off.  I feel really good right now that Medium - 34 is my best bet.  I'll go check out these at my local shop. 

As another “half size” guy who has first hand experience with pads that are slightly too big (went from 33” 20.1 to 32”) - I do not regret downsizing for a minute. 

From a technique perspective, it’s so important to get that front ankle flex when loading and pushing off for the extra power and final extension that going shorter in the shin really does make sense. 

14 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

As another “half size” guy who has first hand experience with pads that are slightly too big (went from 33” 20.1 to 32”) - I do not regret downsizing for a minute. 

From a technique perspective, it’s so important to get that front ankle flex when loading and pushing off for the extra power and final extension that going shorter in the shin really does make sense. 

Agree 100%.  I’d definitely err on the side of going shorter if between sizes.  The benefits to mobility from going shorter outweigh the minimal increase in coverage from going bigger IMO.

Having the same measurements I do, I’m not sure how seagoal fits in a 35” Vaughn, though, unless we’re talking some older stuff.  The VE8s fit an inch smaller than the V9s, and even in those I fit a 34+2, definitely not a 35.  I got my V9s in 33+2. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AdamL

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

This is really interesting to me.  Can you elaborate on what you mean?  What is more possible or better on a shorter pad than is less possible or worse on a taller pad?

3 hours ago, AdamL said:

Agree 100%.  I’d definitely err on the side of going shorter if between sizes.  The benefits to mobility from going shorter outweigh the minimal increase in coverage from going bigger IMO.

Having the same measurements I do, I’m not sure how seagoal fits in a 35” Vaughn, though, unless we’re talking some older stuff.  The VE8s fit an inch smaller than the V9s, and even in those I fit a 34+2, definitely not a 35.  I got my V9s in 33+2. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure I have a very good technical argument to explain this.  I am on my 4th pair of 35 Vaughn pads: V1, 4, 6, and now 8.  I am used to and comfortable with the knee landing, overall height, and general mechanics of this size.  It's what I'm used to and feels right mentally and physically.  I'm open to a technical argument that these were all too big for me, but then I just think: ok, but why change if it's what I'm used to and what I like?  What I would love to do is get a sheet of ice with some shooters and pucks and just do goalie things with a 33, 34, and 35 in the exact same pad and switch every so often.  I think that would be the only possible way to override my years of experience and my general sense of comfort/preference and possible consider a change in size.  I have never been able to do that and don't imagine I ever will.  I can say I've tried on 34s in stores and they've felt small, even if in some scheme they might be my "right" size.  Dennis who is the custom rep at Vaughn has always told me I'm a "34ish but I would not talk you out of a 35 if that's what you want." 

I am not a very flexible goalie and I do have a very narrow butterfly so I find myself needing closure help in the five hole.  I don't ever go down symmetrically and look down and see the tops of my pads flush with one another....in other words, my knee pads take a pounding when I play which is why I use larger, bulky knee pads. So my pads "close" sorta like this /\ and I find the extra coverage there beneficial. 

I did go into my local Pure Hockey today and tried on the Ultrasonics.  They had a Small - 33 with the sizing extender thingy at the top with the size marking on the knee landing.  I was hitting right at 34 with skates/without knee pads and the sales rep felt really good about me in a Medium - 34.   So in terms of that these ones for sale I am looking at are good. 

Edited by seagoal

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

This is really interesting to me.  Can you elaborate on what you mean?  What is more possible or better on a shorter pad than is less possible or worse on a taller pad?

No problem - the optimal way to load for a butterfly push/backside recovery/whatever you wanna call it is to load your foot into dorsiflexion with your knee on a plane in front of the ball of your foot.

Since this locks you naturally into the end range, you cannot sink further forward, which costs you push potential.  After you push off and you are moving laterally, you can also snap the toe into plantar flexion to grab an extra couple of inches if you need it.

If your pads are "just right" or too long in the shin, you compromise the ability to flex the foot forward.  When I went from 33s to 32s, this was the most noticeable difference.  My knee still landed on the knee block without issue on both pads, so I could technically get away with a 33.

Also consider that you are going from a soft Vaughn to a stiff Bauer, IMO you are going to be fighting the boot a bit.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

No problem - the optimal way to load for a butterfly push/backside recovery/whatever you wanna call it is to load your foot into dorsiflexion with your knee on a plane in front of the ball of your foot.

Since this locks you naturally into the end range, you cannot sink further forward, which costs you push potential.  After you push off and you are moving laterally, you can also snap the toe into plantar flexion to grab an extra couple of inches if you need it.

If your pads are "just right" or too long in the shin, you compromise the ability to flex the foot forward.  When I went from 33s to 32s, this was the most noticeable difference.  My knee still landed on the knee block without issue on both pads, so I could technically get away with a 33.

Also consider that you are going from a soft Vaughn to a stiff Bauer, IMO you are going to be fighting the boot a bit.

I for sure get what you are saying about the bio-mechanics of pushing and what our leg and foot is doing, I guess what I'm still not quite getting is the bold part.   I think we aren't connecting on how our foot relates to our pad when we are pushing and  moving laterally.  Flexing the foot forward-or away from our body/the pad-should only be compromised by either toe ties or boot straps and without boot straps/with bungee toe ties where does the compromise come in?  How does the pad create a fight in this bio-mechanic for our leg/foot?

Your point of going from Velocity to Ultrasonic is noted, indeed.  I am in a position now to get a second set of gear with hockey starting up around here, accepting an invitation to join a new team with different colors, and a milestone birthday of mine coming up and being married to someone awesome who offered to buy me a matching set of gear (someone REALLY awesome). I've mostly convinced myself to run away from Vaughn.  The V9 stuff was making me drool a bit today at the shop, but only because it feels so familiar and good.  I want different and I want to challenge myself and I want to grow as a goalie.  I don't want pads that move and flex and bend and squish anymore.  I've had my eyes on CCM for a while now and the Axis stuff in particular is appealing, I think it might be the gloves that turn me off.  The catchers feel way too stiff and clunk and cumbersome and blockers feel oddly balanced, as well as the shape of the sidewall just irks the hell out of me. 

From looking around, I found this Ultrasonic set that matched color for color the exact custom build I did, with a mid-flex, and a "soft Vapor boot." The only thing on this set that I would not order is a single T on the glove but that is not a deal breaker for me.  So even though this particular set is not the stiffest possible Ultrasonic, it will be VERY different from Vaughn and it's making me think over and over again about the jump and whether it will be too much.   I know Axis wouldn't be quite so dramatic as Ultrasonic, but now having spent a good bit of time handling and trying on both, the Bauers are wooing me more and more. 

Gear will generally move in the past of least resistance when you move or flex.

A shorter pad will stay in place and flex above your ankle and give you the needed ankle flex to fully extend into dorsiflexion.

With an at-size or larger pad, you are either pushing the pad up your leg or it'll pop off your shin at an angle

Here is some shitty paint art to illustrate - black lines represent your shin and foot, red represents the pad. 

Diagram on the left is using a shorter shin pad, the boot will move along with your foot when you flex. 

On the right is a larger pad.  The longer shin will sort of restrict your ankle mobility

image.png.77eb3bb26e3e008a3e74e9f3c540fce8.png

On 4/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, seagoal said:

Hey Bauer guys,

[...]

Thanks guys.

I'm the same height and same FTK and I'm wearing Ultrasonics in a size Small. Wish it were every so slightly taller in the thigh, but the knee fits perfect. Used to wear CCMs in a size 33.

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Gear will generally move in the past of least resistance when you move or flex.

A shorter pad will stay in place and flex above your ankle and give you the needed ankle flex to fully extend into dorsiflexion.

With an at-size or larger pad, you are either pushing the pad up your leg or it'll pop off your shin at an angle

Here is some shitty paint art to illustrate - black lines represent your shin and foot, red represents the pad. 

Diagram on the left is using a shorter shin pad, the boot will move along with your foot when you flex. 

On the right is a larger pad.  The longer shin will sort of restrict your ankle mobility

image.png.77eb3bb26e3e008a3e74e9f3c540fce8.png

To be fair, I think there's more that goes into this than pad/shin height - my X28s are terrible in this regard and they're sized appropriately for me.  Because of the stiff boot and steep boot angle, the boot sits way down over my skate, and so for me to get into dorsiflexion, the pad either needs to come up my leg, or the bottom of the pad needs to come away from my shin to allow for that movement in my ankle.  I am constantly pulling them up so they sit on top of my skates instead of in front of them, but inevitably they fall back down and I'm again fighting them during crease movements and that bottom calf strap is pulling on my leg as I try to flex at the ankle.  I could wear that bottom calf strap really loose, but then the pad just falls down my leg even more.  

Take your 20.1s with its FRS and super flat boot - a. the FRS keeps the pad up high in the first place, and b. the boot is so flat I wouldn't think there's really a way for the pad to fall over the skate and limit ankle mobility.  I'd think even if the wearer is landing close to the bottom of the knee block that would merely lead to interference up top, not necessarily down in the ankle.

7 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I'm the same height and same FTK and I'm wearing Ultrasonics in a size Small. Wish it were every so slightly taller in the thigh, but the knee fits perfect. Used to wear CCMs in a size 33.

Hmmm.... You guys have me second guessing things.   I tried on GSX (the only thing my store had) and I'm at the VERY top of the knee stack in a Medium with a 20.5 FTK.  I'd pretty much settled on Large for my Hyperlite set, but may have to go back to the drawing board.   @TheGoalNet can you share your FTK and sizing on the Hyperlites you just got?

On 4/3/2021 at 10:31 PM, seagoal said:

I was referred to this too, which with my FTK of 19.5 I'm spot on for Medium - 34.

sizing-chart-bauer-od1n-sr-eng.jpg

this chart is still good ? im at 20.5 and my old 2xpro set was medium ... the butterfly was hard to close but i was able to close it and my mobility was super good , i thing try a large size for hyperlite 

46 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

this chart is still good ? im at 20.5 and my old 2xpro set was medium ... the butterfly was hard to close but i was able to close it and my mobility was super good , i thing try a large size for hyperlite 

Probably. It comes from the interwebs. 

12 hours ago, AdamL said:

To be fair, I think there's more that goes into this than pad/shin height - my X28s are terrible in this regard and they're sized appropriately for me.  Because of the stiff boot and steep boot angle, the boot sits way down over my skate, and so for me to get into dorsiflexion, the pad either needs to come up my leg, or the bottom of the pad needs to come away from my shin to allow for that movement in my ankle.  I am constantly pulling them up so they sit on top of my skates instead of in front of them, but inevitably they fall back down and I'm again fighting them during crease movements and that bottom calf strap is pulling on my leg as I try to flex at the ankle.  I could wear that bottom calf strap really loose, but then the pad just falls down my leg even more.  

Take your 20.1s with its FRS and super flat boot - a. the FRS keeps the pad up high in the first place, and b. the boot is so flat I wouldn't think there's really a way for the pad to fall over the skate and limit ankle mobility.  I'd think even if the wearer is landing close to the bottom of the knee block that would merely lead to interference up top, not necessarily down in the ankle.

Absolutely.

My counter argument in this scenario would be that the XLT/X28 was based on a the RBK P1 platform from 15ish years ago.  They have since updated the Premier line with a soft boot with the release of the CCM P2.

The trend we are seeing these days at pro and retail is stiff thigh, control elements in the shin (calf wings/wraps/other gizmos), soft boot, flat(ish) boot channel.
There was a bit more variety in the 00s at retail, but I think the trend back then at the pro level was stiff thigh, minimal or completely open leg channel, stiff boot, and deep boot channel.

It's kind of funny to see things come full circle

50 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Absolutely.

My counter argument in this scenario would be that the XLT/X28 was based on a the RBK P1 platform from 15ish years ago.  They have since updated the Premier line with a soft boot with the release of the CCM P2.

The trend we are seeing these days at pro and retail is stiff thigh, control elements in the shin (calf wings/wraps/other gizmos), soft boot, flat(ish) boot channel.
There was a bit more variety in the 00s at retail, but I think the trend back then at the pro level was stiff thigh, minimal or completely open leg channel, stiff boot, and deep boot channel.

It's kind of funny to see things come full circle

So not only have I been stuck in the past I was ahead of the curve too?

On 4/3/2021 at 2:44 PM, Chenner29 said:

On 4/5/2021 at 3:13 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

I can confirm the same as @ZeroGravitas... 5'10"... 19.5" FTK and I wore 2X Pro in size Small. They were damn near perfect fit at the knee.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I can confirm the same as @ZeroGravitas... 5'10"... 19.5" FTK and I wore 2X Pro in size Small. They were damn near perfect fit at the knee.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, Puckstopper said:

Hmmm.... You guys have me second guessing things.   I tried on GSX (the only thing my store had) and I'm at the VERY top of the knee stack in a Medium with a 20.5 FTK.  I'd pretty much settled on Large for my Hyperlite set, but may have to go back to the drawing board.   @TheGoalNet can you share your FTK and sizing on the Hyperlites you just got?

I also didn't have any US at my store when I went in to get sized. They had a 3S Medium and a 2X Pro Small. The 3S was too big and I knew that the instant I tried them on. 2X Pro Small fit perfectly, which was great because I knew I wanted the flatter 2X boot on my US set.

I probably could have used a US with a Vapor boot in a Medium, but I like a smaller, more mobile pad.

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I can confirm the same as @ZeroGravitas... 5'10"... 19.5" FTK and I wore 2X Pro in size Small. They were damn near perfect fit

For me at 20.5 I drop in the high end of the knee block with medium and the large is the perfect fit but I’m scared of the high tight rise , with my old medium 2xpro the butterfly was hard to close but my mobility was soooo great 

19 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

For me at 20.5 I drop in the high end of the knee block with medium and the large is the perfect fit but I’m scared of the high tight rise , with my old medium 2xpro the butterfly was hard to close but my mobility was soooo great 

Do you mean hard to close as in you have a narrow butterfly and the 2X Pro was too firm and straight at the top? If so... check out Hyperlite. Much more of an S shape than 2X Pro. (Probably something you can blur lines with in a ProCustom set if you want other facets of US construction.)