Custom 2X Waiting Time??

Abraham Simpson

Anyone else pulling their hair out while waiting for their custom (not "pro custom") 2X gear to arrive?

I'm currently at Week 17 of "The Waiting Game" . I ordered a full set of 2X Pro's on June 10 -- they were initially promised by Sep 15, and now they should arrive sometime between Oct 14 and 21 -- which would bring the total wait time to over 18 weeks.

They should take a cue from the pizza industry: "Your gear delivered in under 30 weeks, or it's free!"

Aside from Bauer or any specific company....

Would you guys pay for a quicker time along with more expensive gear?

How much more would you pay for a full custom set if the wait time was 4 weeks? 2 weeks?

Quicker gear would require more staff which is very expensive.  To get custom gear quickly there has to be either more staff or you order from a company that is not popular/not busy. 

I wonder how a Choose your wait time situation would work?  In other words, any company offers their lines of gear for custom and a tier of wait times where the quicker tiers cost more than lower tiers because you are paying to skip ahead your place in line.  Food for thought, eh?

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Aside from Bauer or any specific company....

Would you guys pay for a quicker time along with more expensive gear?

How much more would you pay for a full custom set if the wait time was 4 weeks? 2 weeks?

Quicker gear would require more staff which is very expensive.  To get custom gear quickly there has to be either more staff or you order from a company that is not popular/not busy. 

I wonder how a Choose your wait time situation would work?  In other words, any company offers their lines of gear for custom and a tier of wait times where the quicker tiers cost more than lower tiers because you are paying to skip ahead your place in line.  Food for thought, eh?

I supposed this is me talking from my 32 year old self, but I'm not that impatient. Unless my current gear is falling apart unusable, it's just a matter of waiting. I try to temper my excitement with new equipment because at the end of the day it's probably not going to make me better. All I'm missing out on are a few games of looking cooler.

Now, ask 22 year old me, and I would have gladly paid for an expedite, but wouldn't have been able to afford the new set in the first place.

I did pay for an expedite on my 2x Pro set, BUT that was because I wanted some Pro Custom features. The expedite lead time was just an added bonus. I ordered maybe 2 weeks after release and I was warned the expedite probably wouldn't happen on the front end, but again, it wasn't that big of a deal. Took my set 9 weeks to arrive. 

In my professional life, I sell custom engineered equipment. We offer 3/4 wait times for 2x the price and 1/2 wait times for 3x the price. In that scenario, it's definitely worth it because the installing customer gets bonuses for completing work early and reduces labor cost by not having guys on site as long. Thank goodness we aren't in that scenario with goalie gear.

I think some companies have it figured out... I know @seagoal is a Vaughn loyalist and their wait times are some of the worst in the industry but if you look at Warrior (next to zero custom options and no custom graphics) they have streamlined production and usually sit at 5-7 weeks.  Brians has expedited slots each month with select retailers (The Goalie Crease) but you can only do stock graphics but get your set in about 6 weeks.  

Bauer and CCM have a standard 8-11 weeks, but during busier times those numbers obviously don't hold true.  The smaller guys... I know Kenesky is up to double digit weeks for wait times, Passau seems to be around 4-6 weeks.

I think the industry will move towards a reduced wait time... Whether or not guys/gals are willing to pay for, remains to be seen.

Yeah, it is quite easy to get disheartened and frustrated, for sure.  I ordered my new glove on May 15th and got it October 7.  There is a part of my mind that thinks that is absurd, it's just a glove, crank it out and get it out of your cue...etc.  Another part of my mind is thankful and appreciative that a company I support and enjoy is legitimately busy enough to be so backed up. Ultimately, it's a positive.   I am at this point convinced that wait times are a function of volume of orders relative to the size of staff.   It does seem like Vaughn, for example, needs to adjust their ratio of volume to staff.  it's not immediately fair to say , for instance, Brian's is better or more efficient than Vaughn because they as companies have different sized staffs, I imagine Brian's is way smaller, and we can only speculate about the volume of orders in their respective piles.

That said, would I have paid extra to get that glove back in June?  Very likely.

EDIT:  @cwarnar Just thinking about this...how many orders do you think are in each companies' cues?  150, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000?  What's the order of most custom orders in cue?  My speculation would be:

LEAST --> MOST:  Warrior, Brian's, Bauer, Vaughn, CCM.

19 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, it is quite easy to get disheartened and frustrated, for sure.  I ordered my new glove on May 15th and got it October 7.  There is a part of my mind that thinks that is absurd, it's just a glove, crank it out and get it out of your cue...etc.  Another part of my mind is thankful and appreciative that a company I support and enjoy is legitimately busy enough to be so backed up. Ultimately, it's a positive.   I am at this point convinced that wait times are a function of volume of orders relative to the size of staff.   It does seem like Vaughn, for example, needs to adjust their ratio of volume to staff.  it's not immediately fair to say , for instance, Brian's is better or more efficient than Vaughn because they as companies have different sized staffs, I imagine Brian's is way smaller, and we can only speculate about the volume of orders in their respective piles.

That said, would I have paid extra to get that glove back in June?  Very likely.

There's a lot that goes into figuring wait times. Volume is one. Labor and raw materials are another. Sometimes you may be waiting on raw material for a couple weeks, and when it finally comes in, your whole production schedule is behind two weeks without any additional volume. Then you must work additional shifts to get your lead times back down to the original promise times. Production scheduling is a fickle beast, and while you always account for a certain amount of delay, reduced yield, reduce output, holidays, labor shortage, etc., sometimes (in fact most times) the unforeseen will occur. I can tell you this though, a factory would rather be overbooked and cranking out delayed material instead of under booked with not enough production output to meet overhead. What's most important to you and I though, isn't even lead times, it's quality. If you become so in a rush to get on schedule that you cut corners in the production quality, that's a problem. I'd much rather have a longer lead time than a rushed hack job.

2 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

There's a lot that goes into figuring wait times. Volume is one. Labor and raw materials are another. Sometimes you may be waiting on raw material for a couple weeks, and when it finally comes in, your whole production schedule is behind two weeks without any additional volume. Then you must work additional shifts to get your lead times back down to the original promise times. Production scheduling is a fickle beast, and while you always account for a certain amount of delay, reduced yield, reduce output, holidays, labor shortage, etc., sometimes (in fact most times) the unforeseen will occur. I can tell you this though, a factory would rather be overbooked and cranking out delayed material instead of under booked with not enough production output to meet overhead. What's most important to you and I though, isn't even lead times, it's quality. If you become so in a rush to get on schedule that you cut corners in the production quality, that's a problem. I'd much rather have a longer lead time than a rushed hack job.

Excellent insight and well said, cheers.

FWIW I ordered my 2x set on May 13 and they arrived to the store on July 8th.  This was not true design, just pro custom.  I imagine the wait time went up a lot in the month after I ordered though since that is right after the 2x got released.  17 weeks seems excessive though.

3 minutes ago, Telfo said:

FWIW I ordered my 2x set on May 13 and they arrived to the store on July 8th.  This was not true design, just pro custom.  I imagine the wait time went up a lot in the month after I ordered though since that is right after the 2x got released.  17 weeks seems excessive though.

That's the catch, though. 

Is it excessive given the quality of their product and the volume of orders they have with the amount of staff they use?  Or is that perfectly reasonable and justified?

What would have to change for it to not be excessive?  Quality, volume, or staff?

The wait wouldn’t be as bad if Bauer would make it easier to get real-time updates. Knowing whether the gear is “Being Assembled” or “In Transit” can offer a clue as to whether I can expect to wait another 5 days or 5 weeks. This would also allow me to know how many more layers of duct tape to use on my kid’s 1S pads to prevent them from disintegrating mid-game.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

EDIT:  @cwarnar Just thinking about this...how many orders do you think are in each companies' cues?  150, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000?  What's the order of most custom orders in cue?  My speculation would be:

LEAST --> MOST:  Warrior, Brian's, Bauer, Vaughn, CCM.

I'd be curious... We all know the big 3 are slammed... NHL, CHL, USport, NCAA orders keep them very busy, on top of all the Rec Beer Leaguers ordering their dreams sets.

Brians being smaller and the undisputed Kings of Custom might not have big numbers but I'd argue that no company turns out a higher quality product.

Warrior is big overseas but outsources production overseas exclusively.  

I do believe that if the opportunity to get gear faster for a relatively decent price would definitely have a market.  Go beyond the gear sets... some guys waiting double weeks for chest protectors or single pieces... That seems bizarre to me.  

The monkey wrench in this process is pro guys... new sets, trades, emergency gear... everything is getting bumped for those guys.

12 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I'd be curious... We all know the big 3 are slammed... NHL, CHL, USport, NCAA orders keep them very busy, on top of all the Rec Beer Leaguers ordering their dreams sets.

Brians being smaller and the undisputed Kings of Custom might not have big numbers but I'd argue that no company turns out a higher quality product.

Warrior is big overseas but outsources production overseas exclusively.  

I do believe that if the opportunity to get gear faster for a relatively decent price would definitely have a market.  Go beyond the gear sets... some guys waiting double weeks for chest protectors or single pieces... That seems bizarre to me.  

The monkey wrench in this process is pro guys... new sets, trades, emergency gear... everything is getting bumped for those guys.

Yes. I always curse Tuukka Rask and Jimmy Howard every time I place a custom order ;)

4 hours ago, Abraham Simpson said:

Anyone else pulling their hair out while waiting for their custom (not "pro custom") 2X gear to arrive?

I'm currently at Week 17 of "The Waiting Game" . I ordered a full set of 2X Pro's on June 10 -- they were initially promised by Sep 15, and now they should arrive sometime between Oct 14 and 21 -- which would bring the total wait time to over 18 weeks.

They should take a cue from the pizza industry: "Your gear delivered in under 30 weeks, or it's free!"

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:
4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Still waiting on my True Design set. Order finalized w/ the shop on July 1st... Bauer had it logged in SAP on July 8th... and anticipated delivery to the shop is Oct 21st...hoping they arrive before the end of next week though. 14-15 weeks in all.

I do have Pro Custom options and obviously the True Design aspect as well... but it's longer than I anticipated.

I have had the opportunity to the Bauer molding test stand in their R&D facility. I have not seen the production facility where the molded face becomes an assembled pad. With that said, part of the beauty of Bauer's process that it significantly reduces the assembly time. Bauer goal is also growing like a weed right now and they demand exceeds their capacity a bit.

IMO, Once Bauer gets this dialed in, I think they have the opportunity to have the fastest lead times in the industry. It might take 3-5 years depending on how much more they grow and how they continue their skins... but I think it's inevitable that Bauer excels here long term.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I have had the opportunity to the Bauer molding test stand in their R&D facility. I have not seen the production facility where the molded face becomes an assembled pad. With that said, part of the beauty of Bauer's process that it significantly reduces the assembly time. Bauer goal is also growing like a weed right now and they demand exceeds their capacity a bit.

IMO, Once Bauer gets this dialed in, I think they have the opportunity to have the fastest lead times in the industry. It might take 3-5 years depending on how much more they grow and how they continue their skins... but I think it's inevitable that Bauer excels here long term.

Would you say that the growth is partly due to the sponsorship contracts they've got in place with Junior leagues?

If I'm Bauer, I'm going hard after those contracts. CCM has those types of contracts overseas which is why I think you see a lot of pro goalies still in CCM, because it's what they always played in. If Bauer can do the same thing, they could tip the scaled in the near future. More NHL pros, should theoretically mean more amateur sales.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You've had it for four days and you haven't posted a picture yet?

Pretty sure that is a mandatory ban.

Mods!!!MODSS!!!!

Truth be told... my phone is a crappy iPhone SE (that work pays for so I can't complain too much)... but was wanting to use my wife's iPhone XS and portrait mode for some glamour shots. Still haven't been able to... but I snapped some anyone and getting a topic up now.

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Truth be told... my phone is a crappy iPhone SE (that work pays for so I can't complain too much)... but was wanting to use my wife's iPhone XS and portrait mode for some glamour shots. Still haven't been able to... but I snapped some anyone and getting a topic up now.

Probably because she's still deleting all of our dirty texts.

source.gif.fea820801416a9cc42328eedeae06450.gif

My gear (finally) landed in a warehouse about 2 hours away, so I should have it by tomorrow. I'm willing to look past the 18 (!) weeks for delivery, but Bauer needs to do a better job communicating with its customers. I had to keep bugging Bauer to give me an expected delivery date, and after each date had passed, I had to bug them for a new date. 

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure the quality of the product will make me forget about all the tedious delivery delays ... 

Archived