Custom Insoles

TheGoalNet

My day job has allowed me to interface with insole and sneaker companies. Given my penchant for goalie gear, I’ve taken particular interest in the topic as it’s very relevant to make skates more comfortable. 

So I’ve had my feet scanned and learned I have something crazy like 90% percentile for high arches. Since learning this, I’ve experimented with both Bauer and CCM custom insoles. i thought I needed better support. 

I met an engineer today who did a PhD around running injuries. It was comparing minimalist shoes (Vibram and Nike Free) to traditional soles with thick cushioning. She couldn’t find data to support one conclusion or the other. 

however, her personal opinion was that feet arches are meant to support the body. When you cushion a tall with a tall arch support, you’re actually giving your muscles a break and weakening them long term. 

I found this fascinating as I’ve never really had foot pain and only used insoles for the last year. 

thought this antidote could be a good conversation on insoles and what people use 

I personally think I won’t use insoles for sneakers, because I resonate with this theory... but I’m torn with skates and will try skating with and without them in the future

i don’t need the arch support for support I guess? But I could see it benefiting for response time. Tighter more responsive fit = faster energy transfer? 

There is a growing school of podiatrists who attribute our foot pain to the hyper-supported shoes we wear. In Third World countries, they literally have no clue what plantar fasciitis is.That being said, my feet have given me fits since ‘06.

I have had surgery on both feet for plantar fasciitis, and will most likely again when I fully retire from hair, as I will be getting the traditional surgery. I had the sonic surgery and it really didn’t work. That was one big factor that led to my partial retirement from hair dressing/barbering. 

That being said- I don’t use super-fancy insoles in my skates.

TGN - the bunnyman is right!

I know I posted something on this recently when my son complained about foot ache in his 2S Pro skates earlier this year.

We went to the most qualified skate shop In Montreal and was told that his super feet where to rigid.  I was shown how your arch reacts when you move your hips up and down in a static position and the arch goes up and down with your movement.  His super feet where not allowing him to do so - I was all in for a custom set but was told but was told to look at the off the shelf Graf insoles.  A pair was selected for him based on his arch type and length ( not sure if there where any other parameters taken into account ) - since he has them, no more complaint's!

I too have really high arches and use superfeet insoles in my skates.  They have moderately more arch support than the stock insolves but mostly just feel a bit more substantial in general.  stock insoles are just so flimsy and useless.  I like that the superfeet take up more space in the skate and allow it to fit a bit tighter.

One thing I've started thinking about recently is the difference between needing arch support in shoes for running/walking and what we do on the ice. 

My new chiropodist was skeptical of my need for orthotics because I have pretty good arches, but it was my walking mechanics where he changed his tune. He described it like comparing a hard tail bike vs one with full suspension. The way my heel strikes and where my weight is distributed I need all the help I can get.

But I don't walk/run on the ice, so I wouldn't necessarily correlate insoles for walking with insoles for skates. I had superfeet because of the added rigidity and support, but was getting sore feet with pressure points and stuff. Switched to the Bauer speed plates, which I would categorize as in between custom arch support and stock flat insoles, and the pain went away which is good enough for me. 

I used to say that most people could probably benefit from some kind of insole upgrade, but honestly, as long as you aren't getting foot pain, just go with what works. 

Now there is the complication of how your foot support can chain affect knee and hip pain, but it's tough as goalies to separate "my knees and hips are sore from my skate insoles" from "I drop to my knees and twist my hips a hundred times an hour" pain :P

28 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

One thing I've started thinking about recently is the difference between needing arch support in shoes for running/walking and what we do on the ice. 

My new chiropodist was skeptical of my need for orthotics because I have pretty good arches, but it was my walking mechanics where he changed his tune. He described it like comparing a hard tail bike vs one with full suspension. The way my heel strikes and where my weight is distributed I need all the help I can get.

But I don't walk/run on the ice, so I wouldn't necessarily correlate insoles for walking with insoles for skates. I had superfeet because of the added rigidity and support, but was getting sore feet with pressure points and stuff. Switched to the Bauer speed plates, which I would categorize as in between custom arch support and stock flat insoles, and the pain went away which is good enough for me. 

I used to say that most people could probably benefit from some kind of insole upgrade, but honestly, as long as you aren't getting foot pain, just go with what works. 

Now there is the complication of how your foot support can chain affect knee and hip pain, but it's tough as goalies to separate "my knees and hips are sore from my skate insoles" from "I drop to my knees and twist my hips a hundred times an hour" pain :P

I don't have pain, but I found the speed plates made my skates more comfortable. I am def out on insoles for running or the gym. I am going to alternate skates in Bauer skates without and without the insoles and see what I find. The idea of better locking my foot into the skate with an insole makes sense to my empirically for hockey because we push all the time.  I will continue to post my thoughts as I tinker with this

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I don't have pain, but I found the speed plates made my skates more comfortable. I am def out on insoles for running or the gym. I am going to alternate skates in Bauer skates without and without the insoles and see what I find. The idea of better locking my foot into the skate with an insole makes sense to my empirically for hockey because we push all the time.  I will continue to post my thoughts as I tinker with this

Any updates on insoles? 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, Wrbsti15 said:

Are you using the superfeet comfort in your 2x pros? I just ordered a pair to try cuz bottom of my feet kill 

I use Bauer Speed Plates 2.0. I have never had any bottom of foot pain. I use them to lock my foot in better because I have incredibly high arches. 

Google “Aetrex 3D printed insoles” and check those out. They 3D print a unique cushioning system specific to your foots pressure points. They’re currently designed for running shoes, but I’m sure with a little trim to fit, you can make them work in skates 

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I use Bauer Speed Plates 2.0. I have never had any bottom of foot pain. I use them to lock my foot in better because I have incredibly high arches. 

Google “Aetrex 3D printed insoles” and check those out. They 3D print a unique cushioning system specific to your foots pressure points. They’re currently designed for running shoes, but I’m sure with a little trim to fit, you can make them work in skates 

Good to know. My superfeet comfort should be here today to try. 

Archived