New cowling or Profile blades

Chester

So i bought some skates with Bauer cowlings and step steel.

The cowling turns out is 8 on a size 7 skate.  Now, i was given a box with the skates. 

The original Bauer steel was included, loose.  The step steel is already in the cowling.

So, i baked them and tried to skate in them.

Ick.

Cant stand how long the blade is. Reminded me why i got out of Reebok skates. Felt like i was wearing skis. 

So, fellow board members, do i put them up for sale, or do i profile the blades so they feel like only size 7 blades.?????

Is it worth the attempt and $ to profile or have i "ruined" the step steel for later in life?

Cheers. 

Step can be profiled, and unless it is the Vaughn Step without the centre-line, it is SUPER easy to profile, thanks to that centre line.

I am with @Hills on this. Try to get the correct cowling.

A profile will cost a fair bit of money ($30 when I got my original Vaughn GX-1 steel profiled), though in the case of Step steel, won't shorten it's usable life, especially since it is both flat and Step Steel. Some people are not fans of Noicing's sharpening services (never tried him, myself), but his profiling is solid, especially since it is a computer controlled machine that uses no hands. THAT is how I would have mine profiled, provided the steel was flat from the factory, like Step is.

22 minutes ago, Chester said:

eBay purchase. Not a brick and mortar store. Way past the point of returning. I was saving them for my new equipment. 

New equipment got a little backed up.  Soooooo......................

Now that we know the story...

Some people like the "longer wheelbase" with a longer cowling. 

Again- it is not a big deal to profile those runners and a place that has a Prosharp can do it very easily and effectively; they would probably put a player rocker on there and you'd be fine. 

Chester

Bauer skates use one cowling for two skate sizes ( 7 and 7.5 in your case ) - so in your case your steel should be a size 7 both the 7 and 7.5 skate size!!

I dont understand how you can get a size 8 blade into a size 7 cowling???  Something is not right!

To give even more background on the Vaughn skates and cowlings, the GX-2 came with Step steel in several flavours: player profile (short steel, tighter radius), regular, and Extreme. If I were fitting a goalie with Vaughn skates, I would be fitting the 6-7 with player radius and 7 and up with regular or extreme. I never saw the other sizes of Vaughn skates, but I wonder how a size 6 worked in the size 8 cowling, being that there is a size 8 and a size 10 Vaughn cowling? 

So size 8 is the right Bauer cowling for a Vaughn boot. 

16 hours ago, Chester said:

They are 7 boots.  Vaughn GX1.  Stock cowling was removed and replaced with Bauer 8 cowling and step steel.  

If you want a localish place Pro Hockey Life has a ProSharp for profiling, and if you call ahead and make sure a guy named Dave is working he'd be able to give you what ever you wanted on the steel. The guy is a wizard.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:29 AM, bunnyman666 said:

To give even more background on the Vaughn skates and cowlings, the GX-2 came with Step steel in several flavours: player profile (short steel, tighter radius), regular, and Extreme. If I were fitting a goalie with Vaughn skates, I would be fitting the 6-7 with player radius and 7 and up with regular or extreme. I never saw the other sizes of Vaughn skates, but I wonder how a size 6 worked in the size 8 cowling, being that there is a size 8 and a size 10 Vaughn cowling? 

So size 8 is the right Bauer cowling for a Vaughn boot. 

Would a size 8 Bauer cowling be the correct size for the skates I bought from you?  I still haven't even taken them out of the box yet lol

27 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Would a size 8 Bauer cowling be the correct size for the skates I bought from you?  I still haven't even taken them out of the box yet lol

Possibly. In fact I do remember putting a size 7 Bauer and it really did not fit.

Archived