Sign in to follow this  
cwarnar

CCM Axis - 2020 Premier Replacement

7 hours ago, keeperton said:

Can someone enlighten me why so many people still buy CCM gloves when they have a reputation for not closing? I've legitimately never been able to close one I grabbed off a shelf in at a store in my life. Surely their break isn't that unique that other companies haven't done it.

I would argue that what is perceived as a "reputation" is like yelp reviews... only those with a gripe post anything. I've used them for a long time and as I've posted before... never had a closure issue. I think it's entirely a feel thing. For one I'm a 580 break user... and a 580 is its own animal. Between the break angle and ten construction... you just get used to it and while it may have flaws (as all things do) you tend to accept them and eventually don't see them as flaws. 

I'd probably feel the same way about your glove as you do the CCM... whether it be the break... the back of hand strapping... wrist mobility etc. It's actually the reason I sold my 2X Pro set... couldn't get used to the glove... couldn't sell it on its own... so I sold the whole set. 

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I would argue that what is perceived as a "reputation" is like yelp reviews... only those with a gripe post anything. I've used them for a long time and as I've posted before... never had a closure issue. I think it's entirely a feel thing. For one I'm a 580 break user... and a 580 is its own animal. Between the break angle and ten construction... you just get used to it and while it may have flaws (as all things do) you tend to accept them and eventually don't see them as flaws. 

I'd probably feel the same way about your glove as you do the CCM... whether it be the break... the back of hand strapping... wrist mobility etc. It's actually the reason I sold my 2X Pro set... couldn't get used to the glove... couldn't sell it on its own... so I sold the whole set. 

I'm really particular about gloves and their ease of closure since I have wrist problems and small hands. I have break preferences, but never really used any particular break in particular since I never had a say (went from a Legacy->DX2->Optik->GnetikIV). Only gripe I have with my current glove is that my hand doesn't stay in it as deeply as I'd like during play.

My general litmus test is if I can close it new, which is "no" for most gloves. Specifically: Bauer, CCM, and Velocity model Vaughn gloves.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Did the break in on my Bauer 2X Pro and it feels great. Relaced the pocket with skate lace and loosened the double T a little and that was the last piece of the puzzle. I wonder if a lot of these companies lace their gloves too tight from the factory?

what have NHL equipment managers said on any of this?

41 minutes ago, RyanR3KC said:

Did the break in on my Bauer 2X Pro and it feels great. Relaced the pocket with skate lace and loosened the double T a little and that was the last piece of the puzzle. I wonder if a lot of these companies lace their gloves too tight from the factory?

what have NHL equipment managers said on any of this?

I think you're on to something there with the pocket being laced tightly at the factories. And not tight as in the pocket doesn't shape well... more like the tension at the bottom of the T where so many lacings come together just needs to be relaxed to allow for a more effortless closure. Mine was just a single T but I ordered it with skate lace pocket and I honestly can't complain about it all. Break in wasn't much different than any other glove I used in terms of process or time... the issue I had was getting accustomed to the break angle... so nothing I could revise on it. 

19 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I think you're on to something there with the pocket being laced tightly at the factories. And not tight as in the pocket doesn't shape well... more like the tension at the bottom of the T where so many lacings come together just needs to be relaxed to allow for a more effortless closure. Mine was just a single T but I ordered it with skate lace pocket and I honestly can't complain about it all. Break in wasn't much different than any other glove I used in terms of process or time... the issue I had was getting accustomed to the break angle... so nothing I could revise on it. 

Ok. So are you more of a 600 break,  index finger tip to Thumb tip guy?

I read your thread on your True Design Vapors. So that set is gone? Damn

29 minutes ago, RyanR3KC said:

He's a 580 weirdo 

3 hours ago, RyanR3KC said:

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

He's a 580 weirdo 

While I have seen today's GGN video of his UltraSonic glove closure (stock as a 600ish 75 degree break but looks to be overlapping more like a 580 90 degree) I'd rather just use what I know will be perfect... no substitute for the real deal 580. The sad fact is that while the 2X 60 degree (590ish break) is/was a great glove... i just couldn't catch well with it. Used it more like an extra blocker that happened to catch something. I actually had times early on where I'd go to catch the puck and have it fly right by the pocket because a 580's pocket is positioned differently. Well... that's what I blamed it on anyway.

21 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Same 

20200513_204328.jpg

Ha... that’s almost exactly the same set I made up and asked my wife what she thought. As @coopaloop1234 stated accurately... my wife went right for the jugular and asked “What medal did you win that I don’t know about?” when I showed her them as an option. HA!

They’re great though. Fortune favors the bold. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Ha... that’s almost exactly the same set I made up and asked my wife what she thought. As @coopaloop1234 stated accurately... my wife went right for the jugular and asked “What medal did you win that I don’t know about?” when I showed her them as an option. HA!

They’re great though. Fortune favors the bold. 

Haha from white, to black, to gold which will actually work with my new team colors. Which had to start this summer but thanks to covid 🤬🤬🤬

Picked up a 34+2" demo set of Axis pads and matching blocker from our local Perani's this afternoon.   I've got an 8:30 stick and puck, so I'll report back with some first impressions tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Picked up a 34+2" demo set of Axis pads and matching blocker from our local Perani's this afternoon.   I've got an 8:30 stick and puck, so I'll report back with some first impressions tomorrow. 

How did that go?

48 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

2 sets ordered so far? anyone else jumping?

I've got a set in graphite grey, blue and yellow coming. 

I was the first user of the demo set I borrowed.  The Axis set will clearly take more breaking in than my G5's have.   I didn't bother taking the glove on the ice as I know I don't really like a 590 break from my Eflex set, but it was still super stiff out of the box.   CCM really needs to catch up the Brian's and Bauer in this area, although I'd say they're on par with Vaughn and close to Warrior at this point. 

The blocker is noticeably lighter and rebounds are fairly lively off it.  I didn't get enough shots to be more definitive than that.

The pads are plenty stiff, so if this is your cup of tea you'll be happy.  Coming from the Warrior leg channel the loose fit QMSS felt comfortable, more so than the tighter EF4 leg channel.  The boot feels noticeably softer right out of the box than other stiff CCM pads I've used, and with some more break-in I expect it to be fantastic. The Max Rebound + foam on the pads definitely works as advertised.  We had a 3rd net set up against the boards at center ice last night and even medium speed shots were ending up below the faceoff dots at either end.  Shots from guys who could really rip them were caroming all the way down the boards and behind the nets in the traditional spots.  The demo pads have a SpeedSkin sliding surface and while it slides better than my EF4's, I'm glad I went with weave for my personal set.

Overall these feel better than they look.  The build quality is spot on, and any thoughts of "street hockey pads" go right out the window after spending some time with them.

• Like 2