CCM Axis - 2020 Premier Replacement

cwarnar

55 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I think CCM has noticed this, and decided to break from the Premier line altogether while severing ties with Lefevre like Bauer did with JRZ. Goalies interested in the newest latest and greatest are probably gonna take a second look at a new pad, where they might not have looked at CCM before. It will still cater to the same style of play, but whether or not it will backfire by alienating more Premier loyalists than it attracts new customers will have to be seen. However what's more intriguing to me is what this could mean for EFlex if they decide to go the same route there.

This is the biggest gamble CCM is taking, but I'm sure that they've done the needed market research and feel like now is the time to move on.  

My other major concern is that the new line will have durability problems ala the 1S series.  CCM has always made some of the most durable pads in the business and there will be tons of pissed off people if that changes.  Comparing my Eflex4's and my R G/T2 set it's very clear that the CCM pads are going to hold up better over the long run.  It's not that the Warrior pads are bad in any way.  Each piece of gear is noticeably lighter than it's CCM counterpart and it's clear that they're built for pure performance.  Unfortunately that comes at a bit of a cost and it seems likely that the Eflexs will stay in the sweet spot between broken in and broken down for a bit longer than the Warriors.  I just hope CCM finds a way to keep durability high, as I doubt the price on these will be dropping to be in line with what Warrior is offering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

It just looks too flat to me.  I might be old school but I like the look of stitching and sewn on graphics.

And see that's the opposite for me. I only recently started playing about 3-4 years ago, so I'm looking at Warrior and CCM and Vaughn, and thinking to myself "Just think of all the weight they could save by ditching all the thread and jenpro!" To me, Warrior pads look like big dainty marshmallows and Vaughn and CCM look like heavy bricks. In fact I could bet that if you put leather straps on a P2 or VE8 and gave them to a goalie ten years ago, no one would blink an eye. I suppose my mindset is "Why are we all not taking advantage of all the amazing advancements we've made in materials science over the last 15 years?"

In the end it will always come down to preference, but like I said, CCM must be seeing the market move in a different direction, seeing all the young kids flock to Bauer, and thinking they better get in before they lose their dominance.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

And see that's the opposite for me. I only recently started playing about 3-4 years ago, so I'm looking at Warrior and CCM and Vaughn, and thinking to myself "Just think of all the weight they could save by ditching all the thread and jenpro!" To me, Warrior pads look like big dainty marshmallows and Vaughn and CCM look like heavy bricks. In fact I could bet that if you put leather straps on a P2 or VE8 and gave them to a goalie ten years ago, no one would blink an eye. I suppose my mindset is "Why are we all not taking advantage of all the amazing advancements we've made in materials science over the last 15 years?"

In the end it will always come down to preference, but like I said, CCM must be seeing the market move in a different direction, seeing all the young kids flock to Bauer, and thinking they better get in before they lose their dominance.

Yep, fair points. 

I respect your perspective, for sure.

I'm interested to see what the next big, game changing innovation is on goalie pads. 

The trend has been lighter, stiffer, strap reduction/efficiency, bungee toes, no boot strap, MAGNETS!!!! (just kidding).  While Bauer's printed graphics are neat, they don't actually do anything better.  That's not a "pad innovation" in the same way that bungee toes/no boot strap was.

What else can be removed or overhauled?  I've seen a few pads with no outer roll here and there in the past little while. Maybe that?

Edited by seagoal

18 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Tell me it's just a name change with new lipstick and tweaks.

Or is it something very different?

It does not look like a Premier pad. It has some pieces of Premier, some pieces of EFlex, and some technology that will be new the CCM family. This will fit goalies that like the features Premier pad though.

4 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I'll chime in on this as a Bauer guy.

When shopping for my most recent set of pads, I of course did my homework and took a look at all the options out there, just so I could be sure Vapors were the right fit from me. When taking a look at CCM, despite all the marketing that says they're lighter, more advanced, etc. they still were perceived by me as kind of old and clunky when compared to some of the stuff Bauer and Warrior, and in some respect, Vaughn. I know you old school guys are rolling your eyes at that because you're not one for gimmicks and marketing. But I think there's a good portion of younger goalies coming up that are looking at all the offerings and looking at Premiers as "your dad's goalie pads". Whether or not that's true isn't the point. From a pure marketing standpoint, if you're trying to grow that audience, making incremental bullet point improvements to your pads that are perceived to be a cycle behind the competitors ain't gonna do it.

I think CCM has noticed this, and decided to break from the Premier line altogether while severing ties with Lefevre like Bauer did with JRZ. Goalies interested in the newest latest and greatest are probably gonna take a second look at a new pad, where they might not have looked at CCM before. It will still cater to the same style of play, but whether or not it will backfire by alienating more Premier loyalists than it attracts new customers will have to be seen. However what's more intriguing to me is what this could mean for EFlex if they decide to go the same route there.

CCM designs their equipment for two target audiences.

1. NHL / Pro guys who want the most advanced performance tied to consistency. CCM's consistency set to set is the best in the industry. That's why guys love it so much. Other brands have major variances from 1 glove to the next.

2. The elite goalie of tomorrow - 15 year old AAA goalies and up. CCM is not afraid to retire the Premier name and believes Axis will help continue their strong goalie success with the next waive of goalies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

This is the biggest gamble CCM is taking, but I'm sure that they've done the needed market research and feel like now is the time to move on.  

My other major concern is that the new line will have durability problems ala the 1S series.  CCM has always made some of the most durable pads in the business and there will be tons of pissed off people if that changes.  Comparing my Eflex4's and my R G/T2 set it's very clear that the CCM pads are going to hold up better over the long run.  It's not that the Warrior pads are bad in any way.  Each piece of gear is noticeably lighter than it's CCM counterpart and it's clear that they're built for pure performance.  Unfortunately that comes at a bit of a cost and it seems likely that the Eflexs will stay in the sweet spot between broken in and broken down for a bit longer than the Warriors.  I just hope CCM finds a way to keep durability high, as I doubt the price on these will be dropping to be in line with what Warrior is offering. 

It's still a CCM pad. They put a lot of energy into consistency or durability. I have no reason to doubt this is maintained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTri-it said:

My son has had his Premier 2.9 for half of last season and the start of this season, they are already breaking down. At this point I may be looking at another set of pads the same size.  I hope the new axis line has the durability issue resolved 

Might want to try a pro level pad going forward...they typically last longer

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Might want to try a pro level pad going forward...they typically last longer

Bingo.  CCM's pro line is top notch in terms of durability.  The second and especially third tier stuff isnt' quite as good, but that's to be expected from any MFG.  To be honest I've only had one pair of second tier pads and my Brian's Gnetik 5.0's held up beautifully given what I paid for them.  The SubZero3's I replaced them with lasted noticeably longer and were still in great shape when I sold them.  There was a noticeable difference though between the two sets at the end of a couple years in them.  TBH it seems to me like Brians and Warrior make the best quality senior level/second tier gear historically.   I'll be interested to see how Bauer does extending custom colors down to the second tier, and I also have to give Vaughn some love as they've carried the Primo sliding surface down to the non-pro SLR2's.

Edited by Puckstopper

Has it been confirmed Lefevre is done at CCM ? There has been alot hear say so far but no confirmation. Honestly the Premier line dates back well before Reebok to the Koho days. Also isn't the eflex line a Lefevre design too, but more son they dad ? I could see Michael Lefevre moving on but in all honesty I can't see Patrick leaving 

12 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Has it been confirmed Lefevre is done at CCM ? There has been alot hear say so far but no confirmation. Honestly the Premier line dates back well before Reebok to the Koho days. Also isn't the eflex line a Lefevre design too, but more son they dad ? I could see Michael Lefevre moving on but in all honesty I can't see Patrick leaving 

I wouldn't expect CCM to release many details for a bit or confirm anything. No one will be bearing in Axis in calendar 2019.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. That graphic looks like a mash-up of the Passau Starke and the vents on the Optik2. The gradient areas on the medial side of the face might also hint at printed graphics coming? On the pad construction side, it would be notable if they are moving to a no-break pad as their stock retail model instead of the "pre-curved, single internal, single outer" break that has been used on the Premier and EFlex lines.

19 minutes ago, litt said:

Never makes a post...

Makes a post and it’s a clear as day picture of the new CCM Axis line. 🤣

Sorry.. I´m here for a while, but I ussually don´t write on forums, but I like to watch :) I have found this photo few days back and I wanted to share it with you. It is not my photo.

For me, it reminds me Bauer´s supreme pads with no break, I´m curious about internal materials.

I saw those black/gold pads up close. It truly is a newer modern version of the Premier. They did trim a tonne off the pad to drop weight and have a thinner profile. And some of those color zones are printed so they are also going that direction. At first glance it does look atrocious but I'm positive that opinion will change.

15 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I saw those black/gold pads up close. It truly is a newer modern version of the Premier. They did trim a tonne off the pad to drop weight and have a thinner profile. And some of those color zones are printed so they are also going that direction. At first glance it does look atrocious but I'm positive that opinion will change.

Agreed. I don't mind the use if printed graphic at all... but they just seem out of place... like they're being used solely for the sake of using printing. Not sure it actually adds much to the colorways... and if EF4 was setting the precedent... those color zones where printing is used reduces the color options at retail. I have no doubt it will be a great pad functionally though.

According to my rep those are, in fact, the AXIS pads. No maybe about it. Confirm 100%

Looks like the same tech from 90's street hockey pads has finally made a return to the market as a whole 😂

"A lot lighter. New core material and what appears to be a deeper boot channel. Not designed by Lefevre."

Edited by LordOfTheCrease
updated info