CCM Axis - 2020 Premier Replacement

cwarnar

Really interested once the specs come out on these pads. I think is safe to say the rebounds off the blocker and pads are going to be HOT since it looks like they're eyeing down Bauer, and thats just where the trend is going. No one mentioned the pants in the corner of the second picture which seem to feature some accordion style hip protection🤔

On 9/5/2019 at 4:30 PM, TheGoalNet said:

2. The elite goalie of tomorrow - 15 year old AAA goalies and up. CCM is not afraid to retire the Premier name and believes Axis will help continue their strong goalie success with the next waive of goalies.

I was at my local shop and after speaking with the guy who handles the goalie equipment he seemed to indicate that CCM is worried. He said the reps came in earlier to go over the Axis line and they do have some concerns.

6 hours ago, Silence said:

I was at my local shop and after speaking with the guy who handles the goalie equipment he seemed to indicate that CCM is worried. He said the reps came in earlier to go over the Axis line and they do have some concerns.

Are we talking Bauer 1S, 1X concerns? :P

8 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Are we talking Bauer 1S, 1X concerns? :P

no but we did talk about that if you are referring to durability. well have to see how it plays out.

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Did he expand on those concerns?

He said they are aware the Premier line is popular and its discontinuation will not be well received. He also brought up that they had concern with moving away from Lefevre. (I spoke with the local rep and he confirmed at the end of the calendar year the relationship between CCM and Lefevre will end). The biggest part of it was the are expecting a poor or slow launch for the Axis line with hopes that it will pick up afterward. Another point mentioned was the reception of the graphic was not the best but he feels once people see how customizable it actually is people might come around with it. I think its fair to say they understand the risk involved with the direction they are moving.

If the orange/ blue graphics above are an option I don’t see any issues with the graphics.

At the end of the day if the pads are better than the Premiers ( Which my son wears ) I wouldn’t have a problem considering these. Quality should be the same as the current CCM pads .  What about the Eflex pads - will they be changed if the Lefebvre relationship is over ?

5 minutes ago, Big2 said:

If the orange/ blue graphics above are an option I don’t see any issues with the graphics.

At the end of the day if the pads are better than the Premiers ( Which my son wears ) I wouldn’t have a problem considering these. Quality should be the same as the current CCM pads .  What about the Eflex pads - will they be changed if the Lefebvre relationship is over ?

That's a good point. Not really sure about that one.

Is Premier line really so popular anymore (outside Quebec ☺️ )? Lot of CCM goalies use Eflex nowadays and you can find Premier pads "on sale" section.  What happened to Bauer Reactors and NXGs? After three years those are really outdated models. What happened to JRZ? What will happen to Lefebvre?

2 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

Is Premier line really so popular anymore (outside Quebec ☺️ )? Lot of CCM goalies use Eflex nowadays and you can find Premier pads "on sale" section.  What happened to Bauer Reactors and NXGs? After three years those are really outdated models. What happened to JRZ? What will happen to Lefebvre?

EF4 is the top selling line. Premier, as great as product as it is, is declining. CCM is using Axis as a way to innovate without giving up on the proven EF4 platform 

future of Lefebvre is TBD. May not have a clear forward  until summer 2020. 

Lefebvre certainly helped get the goalie division of CCM/Koho/Heaton/Reebok/etc. off the ground and kept it the top goalie brand around for like 3 decades. But if they decide to part ways, I don't think anyone should be worried. CCM has the money, they have the resources, they have the expertise and I think will do just fine without Lefebvre if the partnership is finished and still remain at the top.

I wonder if Lefebvre will take a similar route to JRZ after the split and set up on their own as a small-scale manufacturer offering only the Premier line?

Or whether another company will partner with them to grab the niche of the die-hard Premier users?

(Having just typed that out, my guess is that there'd be some legal set up after the partnership is dissolved, that includes non-competes and licensing for the 590 / 580 glove designs that CCM will still be using)