CCM Axis - 2020 Premier Replacement

cwarnar

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Is it me, seen the catalog and looked it over see nothing new just the same Premier line like before minus the Lefevre name and some fancy graphics. Am I missing something??

Not just you, nothing so far has showcased any real differences. It's too bad that this pandemic won't let me get my hands on it to make sure it isn't just the same pig in different lipstick. 

On 4/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Mostly because they don't look good. ;)  They're very akin to street hockey pads. 

Coop your comments are applicable on certain colors - the black and yellow set we see all over, not sure why CCM has picked such an ugly set to promo their pads ?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, netminder said:

Its probably the MOST changed line of pads in 2020 out of every line, maybe in the past 3 straight years combined. Premier 2 is nothing at all like the Axis. Different graphic, different boot, different calf wedge, different non-rounded inside edge, different model name, different top bindingless, different outside knee flap, different weight.

Yes, you were missing something, lol.

I don't know if I'd go that far.  I feel like the Axis and G5 lines have a moderate amount of innovation.  Ultrasonic is probably the MOST innovative if the hype surrounding the one piece knee block is true, and Optik 2 and V9 feel much more evolutionary than revolutionary.   

38 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I don't know if I'd go that far.  I feel like the Axis and G5 lines have a moderate amount of innovation.  Ultrasonic is probably the MOST innovative if the hype surrounding the one piece knee block is true, and Optik 2 and V9 feel much more evolutionary than revolutionary.   

You mean netminder is saying something stupid? Who would've guessed. 

Looks like the Axis is the Premier line with minor tweaks to avoid any litigation issues with Lefebvre. Would still want to get my hands on them and more information before really cementing my view, but despite what's come out it doesn't seem like much of a change up since the P2. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

I haven't seen the pad yet, but specs-wise, I'm a little disappointed with Axis. It seems to basically be an EF4 with a stiffer core. Same strapping setup as EF4, same boot angle, same flat inside edge.

The big differences are the graphic ( no effect on play), bindingless thigh (minimal to no effect) and the core. We saw LiteCore and MaxRebound in P2; how much of a change is LiteXCore and MaxRebound+ on the ice? I was hoping for a bit more technology.

5 hours ago, netminder said:

Ive reported you yet again for an unnecessary attack/harrassment post. I dont know you and have never ever called you out before until now.

I do understand that my entire post is FACT based and fact based posts can be complicated to comprehend, but if its "stupid" to you then maybe topics in this forum are too mature for you to be apart of.

Maybe you should have said the most changed CCM pad in a few years instead. There's no way the AXIS is the most different of any company's biannual iteration, let alone to claim that as a fact.

Looks like there are a lot of similarities between the Axis and the Lefevre 20.1...bolded is my emphasis

TLDR

New calf wedge fills negative space in the shin, like the Lefevre FRS

Flattened boot

Bindingless perimeter

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/new-items/ccm-goalie-leg-pads-axis-pro-sr.html

New on the Axis Pro is a 3D molded calf wedge that provides key support down in the butterfly. This new piece has a large pillow between the calf wedge that touches the ice and the inner calf wedge that sits against the goalie’s leg. With the addition of this piece removing negative space, it provides more support to the goaltender’s leg while simultaneously keeping the pad sealed to the ice.

Continuing with CCM’s other pad offerings, the entire Axis Pro pad comes with SpeedSkin lined with strategic digital prints to provide a unique look and the best durability. Combined with the hex print style on certain zones, this graphic will be sure to turn heads.

Finishing off the back of the pad, you will notice several little details which enhance the overall design of the Axis Pro pads. On the boot channel, it is slightly flattened out, so the pad sits on top of the goaltender’s foot. Next, the inner and outer calf flaps do not extend past the goaltender’s foot, so the skate is able to grip the ice unprohibited. Lastly, the outer gusset is now bindingless and made of SpeedSkin which provides better durability and a reduced weight.

If you are an elite-level butterfly goaltender who is looking for the lightest CCM pad ever made, with the hardest rebound patterns, look no further than the CCM Axis Pro Senior Goalie Leg Pads.

Realistically it's not much of a surprise that the pads are pretty similar.  My understanding is that CCM usually works almost 2 years ahead on gear (meaning "Eflex 5" is pretty close to ready and Axis 2 will be starting to be looked at soon) so I would have to think that the Lefebvres and the design staff who remained at CCM traded notes before the divorce occurred.  But there are a handful of fairly significant differences:

Axis offers straight or curved pads.  20.1 come in pre-curved only.  There are other differences available on the customizers as well. 

20.1's calf strapping system is different than Axis which kept the P2/EF4 system. 

20.1 looks thinner throughout the pad, although that COULD be an optical illusion.

20.1 catch glove appears to have thinner T's on the double tee and they're more widely spaced.  

Overall though it's very apparent that they share lots of DNA and will probably play fairly similarly.  Something tells me a lot of the people bashing the Axis will change their minds once they try them. 

10 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Overall though it's very apparent that they share lots of DNA and will probably play fairly similarly.  Something tells me a lot of the people bashing the Axis will change their minds once they try them. 

Unless they were never huge fans of CCM gear to begin with. ;) 

Though you're definitely right about there being a "brand war" when it comes to CCM/Lefebvre fanboys online.