Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cwarnar

CCM Axis - 2020 Premier Replacement

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Can anyone confirm on the sizing? If they are similar to P2s? Maybe @TheGoalNet can give an insight on these, thanks.

Don't have the ability to go side by side right now, but I expect EFlex sizing is closer. This is a Flat boot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Don't have the ability to go side by side right now, but I expect EFlex sizing is closer. This is a Flat boot.

I can only compare it to the P2 as I haven't wore the Eflex line.  The plus 1 on those pads look like a major difference than the P2 (thigh rise), is that true? What did you go with?

Edited by mr_shifty1982

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like 1 and 2, but I'm a white-based pads kind of guy. I also don't think that the colored logo on the colored outer roll ever looks good (exception is a bright color like orange or yellow on a black/navy background); it gets muddled and hard to read from even a rinkside distance away, and they never "pop" to me. See Samsonov's set up with the Caps as an example:

Meet Ilya Samsonov, Calder Trophy sleeper - TheHockeyNews

Edited by Teezle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Teezle said:

I like 1 and 2, but I'm a white-based pads kind of guy. I also don't think that the colored logo on the colored outer roll ever looks good (exception is a bright color like orange or yellow on a black/navy background); it gets muddled and hard to read from even a rinkside distance away, and they never "pop" to me. See Samsonov's set up with the Caps as an example:

Meet Ilya Samsonov, Calder Trophy sleeper - TheHockeyNews

I generally agree with that. That is why I usually get white logos. However, when you're ripping off 9 graphics, have to mix it up! I only personally would wear 2-3 of the ones I created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 12:18 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

1.thumb.png.fecf756d49aa91b0883b0b87103d3426.png2.thumb.png.afce7be12e0933f5f832c22a4396e203.png4.thumb.png.3d85b3bfc6ef8d52db829ae3fe249f43.png

A lot of interesting possibilities.

Similar boat color scheme wise... also a much bigger fan of GM's customizer over CCM's... although it would also be great to see a whole set at once. CCM's is just sorta sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Similar boat color scheme wise... also a much bigger fan of GM's customizer over CCM's... although it would also be great to see a whole set at once. CCM's is just sorta sad.

Agreed. The colors on the CCM customizer are goofy and you can't zoom in. But I don't think you can easily transfer colors between pads/gloves/blocker using the Monkey customizer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly the axis seems like a huge step foward for ccm in every category minus graphics. older eflex and premiers had mucch better graphics than axis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

You mean netminder is saying something stupid? Who would've guessed. 

Looks like the Axis is the Premier line with minor tweaks to avoid any litigation issues with Lefebvre. Would still want to get my hands on them and more information before really cementing my view, but despite what's come out it doesn't seem like much of a change up since the P2. 

Oh look, a review saying how dramatic the differences are, maybe we're the only 2 in North America that think there's more then minor tweaks? lmfo

Edited by netminder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, netminder said:

Oh look, a review saying how dramatic the differences are, maybe we're the only 2 in North America that think there's more then minor tweaks? lmfo

Eh there’s 3 of us I just like watching everyone here attack you every time you comment and I don’t blame them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, netminder said:

Oh look, a review saying how dramatic the differences are, maybe we're the only 2 in North America that think there's more then minor tweaks? lmfo

Hold on:

Quote

Its probably the MOST changed line of pads in 2020 out of every line, maybe in the past 3 straight years combined. Premier 2 is nothing at all like the Axis. Different graphic, different boot, different calf wedge, different non-rounded inside edge, different model name, different top bindingless, different outside knee flap, different weight.

In case you wanted to know what I was referring to when I mentioned that you said something stupid. It's a stiffer/modernized Eflex pad . I wouldn't be waving the "MOST INNOVATIVE PAD CHANGE EVER" flag lol. Especially as the gloves are identical to past CCM offerings which, in my opinion, CCM is the weakest in. 

And, in case you missed it, my opinion was based off of the information that was available at the time and my opinion still doesn't stray much. It's still probably a decent pad, but applauding CCM for modernizing their pads with the rest of the group isn't anything really to applaud. 

But hey, what do I know. I have a pea sized brain right? Untitled.thumb.png.e8ed27ca9bc69e7913d504e6fa7a0757.png

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, proudSnowflake72 said:

God I love it when people argue over practically nothing.

It's what the internet was created for. 

Al Gore told me so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a mixture between an Eflex pad and the P2 as the goalnet mentioned, it's for the Premier market that want to kick out those rebounds. I saw that pad yesterday at Pro Hockey Life there is nothing really to argue about. There isn't anything "new".  The weight is reduced a tad. 

Hockeyreviews is a CCM hater, he isn't revewing anything really but giving his own opinions, he also "reviews" without testing anything most of the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, proudSnowflake72 said:

@Hills care to respond to said accusations?

Last time I checked he made a post here that he's leaving, doing his own thing 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Last time I checked he made a post here that he's leaving, doing his own thing 🤷‍♂️

Hmm, score one for thegoalnet.com I suppose.

Edited by proudSnowflake72
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, netminder said:

Oh look, a review saying how dramatic the differences are, maybe we're the only 2 in North America that think there's more then minor tweaks? lmfo

Jesus H. Christ, this is the video you claim supports your posiition that Axis is the ZOMG MF me, Amazeballs revolutionary pad of the 21st century?  Well, I guess it makes sense.  That video was a rambling, nonsensical pile of B.S., much like many of your posts.  If you haven't wasted a click on this video you could use your time more productively by watching literally anything else.

Moving on,  back to the Axis line.   Our local store got a 34+2 demo set and I got my hands on a full set Friday.  I will have some ice time in them coming up as soon as the rinks open here in Columbus, but after some time playing with them in store I can offer some first impressions.

Blocker:  I'm going blocker first because it's the most improved, most dramatically different piece of the set.  Yep, the freakin' blocker is the headliner.  Must mean this set had undergone some RADICAL changes right?  Anyway, the blocker has been put on a diet and is about 1/3rd thinner than it used to be.  It's noticeably lighter but still feels like it'll offer solid protection.   It's a nice update for sure!

Catch glove:  The changes here are super subtle, but if you've hated the way CCM gloves closed in the past you'll like what's going on here.   It's a 590 break and they've trimmed back the amount of D30 in the hinge area.  The glove still doesn't close great out of the box but it does feel like it'll break in quicker and better than the 590 I ordered with my EF4 set which still hasn't broken in.  Other than trimming the D30 there are no major changes, just a couple little tweaks that don't change function.  This is still a very heavy glove and I'd love to see CCM find a way to put it on a diet like they did the blocker.

Pads:  Sorry, these aren't a revolution.   Compared to my EF4 set they're barely an evolution.   Compared to P2 there are some nice changes but still nothing earth shattering.   First of all they're a little thinner and somewhat lighter than P2 or EF4, but still not on par with Bauer, Warrior or Brians.  The strapping is EXACTLY the same as EF4 which was nothing more than a minor tweak of what came on the P2.  I didn't notice the calf pillow as much as the guy in the video, but it's visually different if nothing else.   The squared off inner edge is new to the "butterfly" line from CCM, but to me the real party piece is how hard that square inner edge felt.   I roughed up Warrior pretty bad for not finding some new sliding material for the G5's, and Kirk responded that with the harder foam on the inner gusset of the pads they didn't feel a different material was needed.   When my G5 set showed up he was proved correct.  The hard inner edge on the G5s mad them the best sliding pads I've ever owned, and I'm hoping that the hard foam used on the Axis line has the same effect.  Overall though the Axis pad is nothing but a stiffer set of EF4's with a soft tabletop boot.

Now, it may sound like I'm taking Axis to the woodshed here, but nothing could  be further from the truth.  Yes, I'd say the Axis is little more than a blending of the best part of CCM's two lines, but when you have a really solid product you don't have to be revolutionary.  Just make tweaks and give the customers what they want, and that's what they've done here.  In my store CCM is by far the number 1 selling line of pads, and it's not close.  I'm predicting that the graphic will be the biggest challenge the Axis line has to overcome, but if I had to bet money on it I'd guess that die-hard CCM goalies won't be jumping ship over it once they get their paws on the gear.  It's a very nice line from the reigning retail champ of the goalie world.  It probably won't gain them a lot of customers, but they're not going to lose ground here either.

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Jesus H. Christ, this is the video you claim supports your posiition that Axis is the ZOMG MF me, Amazeballs revolutionary pad of the 21st century?  Well, I guess it makes sense.  That video was a rambling, nonsensical pile of B.S., much like many of your posts.  If you haven't wasted a click on this video you could use your time more productively by watching literally anything else.

Moving on,  back to the Axis line.   Our local store got a 34+2 demo set and I got my hands on a full set Friday.  I will have some ice time in them coming up as soon as the rinks open here in Columbus, but after some time playing with them in store I can offer some first impressions.

Blocker:  I'm going blocker first because it's the most improved, most dramatically different piece of the set.  Yep, the freakin' blocker is the headliner.  Must mean this set had undergone some RADICAL changes right?  Anyway, the blocker has been put on a diet and is about 1/3rd thinner than it used to be.  It's noticeably lighter but still feels like it'll offer solid protection.   It's a nice update for sure!

Catch glove:  The changes here are super subtle, but if you've hated the way CCM gloves closed in the past you'll like what's going on here.   It's a 590 break and they've trimmed back the amount of D30 in the hinge area.  The glove still doesn't close great out of the box but it does feel like it'll break in quicker and better than the 590 I ordered with my EF4 set which still hasn't broken in.  Other than trimming the D30 there are no major changes, just a couple little tweaks that don't change function.  This is still a very heavy glove and I'd love to see CCM find a way to put it on a diet like they did the blocker.

Pads:  Sorry, these aren't a revolution.   Compared to my EF4 set they're barely an evolution.   Compared to P2 there are some nice changes but still nothing earth shattering.   First of all they're a little thinner and somewhat lighter than P2 or EF4, but still not on par with Bauer, Warrior or Brians.  The strapping is EXACTLY the same as EF4 which was nothing more than a minor tweak of what came on the P2.  I didn't notice the calf pillow as much as the guy in the video, but it's visually different if nothing else.   The squared off inner edge is new to the "butterfly" line from CCM, but to me the real party piece is how hard that square inner edge felt.   I roughed up Warrior pretty bad for not finding some new sliding material for the G5's, and Kirk responded that with the harder foam on the inner gusset of the pads they didn't feel a different material was needed.   When my G5 set showed up he was proved correct.  The hard inner edge on the G5s mad them the best sliding pads I've ever owned, and I'm hoping that the hard foam used on the Axis line has the same effect.  Overall though the Axis pad is nothing but a stiffer set of EF4's with a soft tabletop boot.

Now, it may sound like I'm taking Axis to the woodshed here, but nothing could  be further from the truth.  Yes, I'd say the Axis is little more than a blending of the best part of CCM's two lines, but when you have a really solid product you don't have to be revolutionary.  Just make tweaks and give the customers what they want, and that's what they've done here.  In my store CCM is by far the number 1 selling line of pads, and it's not close.  I'm predicting that the graphic will be the biggest challenge the Axis line has to overcome, but if I had to bet money on it I'd guess that die-hard CCM goalies won't be jumping ship over it once they get their paws on the gear.  It's a very nice line from the reigning retail champ of the goalie world.  It probably won't gain them a lot of customers, but they're not going to lose ground here either.

Lol.

Edited by proudSnowflake72
Because I want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, netminder said:

Oh look, a review saying how dramatic the differences are, maybe we're the only 2 in North America that think there's more then minor tweaks? lmfo

Probably the most key feature to the Premier line was the inner roll. If you remove the inner roll, the whole pad changes. How you can say it's not that different? Feels like click bait kids.

I've used both P3, EF4, and Axis. Axis fall between EF4 and Premier to me. It's more like the EF4's tougher older brother than the Premier's softer younger brother.

I think the whole equipment industry suffers from an "OD1N effect". OD1N was probably the most different looking gear in the history of equipment. Everyone expects every new to line to be as dramatically different as that was. It's only possible to be that level of different so often. If that's anyone's barometer for being completely new, then you are going to be disappointment for the next decade.

Lastly, CCM probably better than other brand, is in tune with exactly the type of people the mass market needs. As they already had the top lines of gear, their releases will be apologetically less over the top than some of their competitors.  When they are the top dog, the challenge is to come up with a better formula, without destroying the existing winning recipe. It's a significantly different challenge than other brands.

Sometimes understanding the why a product is designed the way helps clarify what we are seeing and why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of people bashing in this thread.

Can someone enlighten me why so many people still buy CCM gloves when they have a reputation for not closing? I've legitimately never been able to close one I grabbed off a shelf in at a store in my life. Surely their break isn't that unique that other companies haven't done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I tried RBK P1 pads once and I really hated those, since those days I have hated how Premier pad looks and play. The new CCM P2 pads were first Premier model I could give a shot. Now Axis pad is totally different than any previous Premier pad and maybe I´ll order a custom set. Only problem is I don´t like the graphics. 

Edited by Korppi32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...