True Goalie Skates

Griffin Foster

Currently I am wearing True 1 piece goal skates and recently when I have gone to push while in the butterfly position I will sometimes slip and miss my push I’m wondering if this is due to me maybe no bringing my leg high enough when I push or if maybe the attack angle just isn’t right for me I’ve been thinking about trying either switching to the 2- piece trues or maybe even trying with a bauer Tuuk I’m absolutely in love with the true boot and I don’t want to switch so if anyone has any ideas and a solution please let me know.

How long have you had the skates?   From the sounds of things this is an issue that you weren't having originally, but you're seeing more over time.  It's possible that over the course of many shapenings the profile of your blades has been altered.  This can happen when the sharpener applies too much pressure to the toe/heel areas when sharpening.  Having your blades reprofiled to longer radius or a combo radius might help. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not actually. They do great things for me. Of course I believe in them so much that I sell them, so my opinion may be biased 😃

Seems on a breakaway you could be in a very deep stance in close and you would be having awkward movement, as you would be standing the the side blades 

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, johncho said:

I saw a sneak peak of the new upcoming TF7/9 2-piece Goalie Skates.

They look great but no real info yet. It _is_ coming though, I'm waiting on them as well.

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I have the TF9 player skate.  It's an absolutely phenomenal value and based on the price point I've heard rumored for the goalie skates I think they'll be a huge win for goalies.

Can confirm, the price I've seen on the TF9 goalie skate is going to make it extremely competitive

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Can confirm, the price I've seen on the TF9 goalie skate is going to make it extremely competitive

Im going to go true custom for my next skates, do you think it will be a large improvement in the custom price point or should I maybe place my order sooner rather than later to stay in the current model.

It depends.  Do you like 3mm or 4mm steel?   The current skates on the website show the 4mm steel that came with my set.   The next gen (assuming they follow the TF9's lead) will have the Goalie Shift holder and 3mm steel.  I'm not sure if you could get them to do the Shift holder if you wanted to put an order in right now or not, but it might be worth a quick email to their customer service team. 

The only other major difference is the appearance/finish of the skates.  If you look at the website you can see that the goalie skates look a little less polished that the forward skates.  If that's something that matters to you, wait.  If performance means more than appearance then by all means order now.   The skater's boot itself didn't really change much between the current pretty gen and the previous, more functional generation, so I wouldn't expect quantum shifts in the goalie  boot either.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

It depends.  Do you like 3mm or 4mm steel?   The current skates on the website show the 4mm steel that came with my set.   The next gen (assuming they follow the TF9's lead) will have the Goalie Shift holder and 3mm steel.  I'm not sure if you could get them to do the Shift holder if you wanted to put an order in right now or not, but it might be worth a quick email to their customer service team. 

The only other major difference is the appearance/finish of the skates.  If you look at the website you can see that the goalie skates look a little less polished that the forward skates.  If that's something that matters to you, wait.  If performance means more than appearance then by all means order now.   The skater's boot itself didn't really change much between the current pretty gen and the previous, more functional generation, so I wouldn't expect quantum shifts in the goalie  boot either.

As I am currently in ultrasonics and like the holder feel, I am likely going to get a Bauer holder added. Correct me if I'm wrong, in the picture that TGN posted on there Instagram, the skates look similar to almost an FT2 style one piece skate.

Probably no real reason to wait then.  I came from Bauer 1S's and was skeptical about the supposed improved performance of the Trues given how much better the 1S's were than the skates that came before them.  The Trues have exceeded expectations in every way possible.  First off, I've never had skates this comfortable.   As someone with a fairly wide foot (4E) I've always had to buy skates at least a half size big to get my feet in them, and at the end of the game I was always highly motivated to get the skates off to get bloodflow back in my feet.   The Trues let me skate all day with no issues.  

Secondly, the performance was out of this world once I got them dialed in.   Like you plan to, I dropped the True holder and swapped it out for Vertexx Edge.  It also took me a while to settle on a hollow I was happy with.  I was in 3/8ths on the Bauers, jumped to 7/16ths after getting the Trues and flattened it out to 1/2" after only one game because I had way to much bite with the stiffness of the True boot.   I'm now at 5/8" and am contemplating trying 3/4" just to see how it goes.  So far, going shallower hasn't cost me power on cross-crease pushes, it's only made it easier to shuffle.   I suspect 3/4" may be a step too far, but I'm going to try it for a stick and puck at least.

Be prepared to have some issues adding the Vertexx holder.  I think I had to have 4 holes redrilled on each skate to make them work.   I've been on my Vertexx holders for a couple years now, and as a bigger guy I'd think if there were going to be issues I'd have seen them already, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Just find someone knowledgeable to do the work.

4 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Probably no real reason to wait then.  I came from Bauer 1S's and was skeptical about the supposed improved performance of the Trues given how much better the 1S's were than the skates that came before them.  The Trues have exceeded expectations in every way possible.  First off, I've never had skates this comfortable.   As someone with a fairly wide foot (4E) I've always had to buy skates at least a half size big to get my feet in them, and at the end of the game I was always highly motivated to get the skates off to get bloodflow back in my feet.   The Trues let me skate all day with no issues.  

Secondly, the performance was out of this world once I got them dialed in.   Like you plan to, I dropped the True holder and swapped it out for Vertexx Edge.  It also took me a while to settle on a hollow I was happy with.  I was in 3/8ths on the Bauers, jumped to 7/16ths after getting the Trues and flattened it out to 1/2" after only one game because I had way to much bite with the stiffness of the True boot.   I'm now at 5/8" and am contemplating trying 3/4" just to see how it goes.  So far, going shallower hasn't cost me power on cross-crease pushes, it's only made it easier to shuffle.   I suspect 3/4" may be a step too far, but I'm going to try it for a stick and puck at least.

Be prepared to have some issues adding the Vertexx holder.  I think I had to have 4 holes redrilled on each skate to make them work.   I've been on my Vertexx holders for a couple years now, and as a bigger guy I'd think if there were going to be issues I'd have seen them already, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Just find someone knowledgeable to do the work.

isn't there a custom option to have the vertexx holder added during the building of the skate?

Archived