Step Steel users with Bauer holders - Time to stock up?

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

Step confirmed to me that they will stop making Bauer blades !

This might be a stupid question , but do we know if Tydan will incur the same faith ??

Maybe, maybe not...

Your best course is for the new CCM holder as CCM is fine with Step, and their stock steel is 10X better than Bauer WISHES it was.

8 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Maybe, maybe not...

Your best course is for the new CCM holder as CCM is fine with Step, and their stock steel is 10X better than Bauer WISHES it was.

I found the stock steel on the FT2 skates to be awful.  noticeably less sharp after 1 skate.  

6 minutes ago, Telfo said:

I found the stock steel on the FT2 skates to be awful.  noticeably less sharp after 1 skate.  

Wow. That is shocking, knowing what CCM steel used to be like. 

The stock steel on the CCM/Reebok cowling was pretty good, but not quite as nice as Step. The SB4.0 (player steel) was nice steel, as well. 

At least you have Step as an option with CCM holders.

Wearing Bauer S190's, just had my first skate on my new Step Steel (coming from the stock Bauer steel)

Difference was night and day. Just... wow.

I know why Bauer doesn't want Step Steel making blades for their skates: Bauer steel is such utter trash compared to Step that they can't compete on any front.

I'll probably be switching to CCM's when I need to buy new skates, but I'll almost definitely get a set of Step Steel to put in them.

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Wearing Bauer S190's, just had my first skate on my new Step Steel (coming from the stock Bauer steel)

Difference was night and day. Just... wow.

I know why Bauer doesn't want Step Steel making blades for their skates: Bauer steel is such utter trash compared to Step that they can't compete on any front.

I'll probably be switching to CCM's when I need to buy new skates, but I'll almost definitely get a set of Step Steel to put in them.

Bauer steel will most likely improve once the rank and file in the NHL switch to the CCM holders. This will go for goalie holders, as well. I could easily see this happening once the pros can’t get Step Steel for the Bauer holders.  Just like when I saw CCM, Graf and VH/True with the LS holders when they came out, equipment managers liked the simplicity of popping out steels to sharpen and/or replace. I have a funny feeling they switched to aftermarket for straightness more so than how soft the steel is. 

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Bauer steel will most likely improve once the rank and file in the NHL switch to the CCM holders. This will go for goalie holders, as well. I could easily see this happening once the pros can’t get Step Steel for the Bauer holders.  Just like when I saw CCM, Graf and VH/True with the LS holders when they came out, equipment managers liked the simplicity of popping out steels to sharpen and/or replace. I have a funny feeling they switched to aftermarket for straightness more so than how soft the steel is. 

Straightness is actually why I got a set of Step Steel: my Bauer were quite significantly curved,  to the point where I could look down the blade and see it deviate from true.

But I also jammed my blades into the posts a few times last night that, with my Bauer,  would've chewed the outer edge to pieces, but my Step blades still look fresh. Maybe that's because my Step blades are wider, but it's a definite improvement nonetheless.

21 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Straightness is actually why I got a set of Step Steel: my Bauer were quite significantly curved,  to the point where I could look down the blade and see it deviate from true.

But I also jammed my blades into the posts a few times last night that, with my Bauer,  would've chewed the outer edge to pieces, but my Step blades still look fresh. Maybe that's because my Step blades are wider, but it's a definite improvement nonetheless.

It took me two years to take off 5mm running my Sparx on 10 cycles once per week! That says something about Step steel.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Cruskater said:

Bump... anyone know if Tydan makes steel for Bauer Vertexx for my One.9's? It looks like they only have vertexx edge blades. I've also searched high and low for Step Blacksteel for the Vertexx but to no avail. Do they still make them?

I thought I still saw Step steel floating around for the One80 and One100 cowls. 

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

If I have a Bauer skate, could I fit a non-Bauer blade into it?

If the blade is made to fit the holder on the Bauer skate, yes. There are some aftermarket steel that can be used, such as BladeTech or Tydan.
Be careful in matching up the steel to the size and brand of the holder that is attached to the skate.

37 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Could I put a CCM blade into a Bauer skate, or is that impossible?

Impossible, unless the Bauer skate has a CCM holder attached to it.