Dipping my toe into the world of Warrior traps

bunnyman666

Yep- Monkey had the GT Pro on sale for a stupid price, so I bought one in “trade me righting fucking now!!!” white. 

Anyone who uses the GT liken it to, say, like a “traditional” T5500-style closure? I am excited to try something different. I love my R4 pro blocker. I may buy a Goldmember Gold set if I like this, as the price is right.  

I have MUCH love for Factory, but I am always on the lookout for other good gloves.

Glove is not here, yet; please don’t do the “this thread is worthless without pictures” thing as this trap isn’t in my furry paws, yet.  I will add pix when this comes to me.

Anyone who can tell me what I am in for, I want to read your impressions.

Thank you.  

51 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Yep- Monkey had the GT Pro on sale for a stupid price, so I bought one in “trade me righting fucking now!!!” white. 

Anyone who uses the GT liken it to, say, like a “traditional” T5500-style closure? I am excited to try something different. I love my R4 pro blocker. I may buy a Goldmember Gold set if I like this, as the price is right.  

I have MUCH love for Factory, but I am always on the lookout for other good gloves.

Glove is not here, yet; please don’t do the “this thread is worthless without pictures” thing as this trap isn’t in my furry paws, yet.  I will add pix when this comes to me.

Anyone who can tell me what I am in for, I want to read your impressions.

Thank you.  

Pfffft! This thread is worthless without pictures!

5 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I have both a G3 and a G4. I like going with a 90 break palm on them but based on trying it on in the store.... the GT also feels really good to me and pretty similiar to my gloves. 

Warrior gloves are close enough to a Vortek for me to use them, as I cant stand anything else.

The GT line up sounds traditional enough for me to try it; I figure if I can’t get it to work, I can get rid of it. I know Warrior fans really like their stuff. 

The first GT wasn't very popular with the 70° break but I loved it. 

GT2 is a great trapper too and they're both better than the G3/G4, but I absolutely loved the GT1. 

Honestly, warrior catchers don't feel like any other glove on the market, and that's a good thing. They don't feel like most 75° gloves (slr, 5500, 600, S2). 

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The first GT wasn't very popular with the 70° break but I loved it. 

GT2 is a great trapper too and they're both better than the G3/G4, but I absolutely loved the GT1. 

Honestly, warrior catchers don't feel like any other glove on the market, and that's a good thing. They don't feel like most 75° gloves (slr, 5500, 600, S2). 

As long as it’s nothing like the Messiah, I will be happy. Couldn’t get myself to like it despite having Dennis Dombrowski working on it, and he made it liveable.

47 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

Everything else < Warrior GT < Warrior GT2 💪 They really nailed the latest version. 

If you like a Warrior "trap" and use it some time it is very hard or impossible to change a brand. 

Good to know.

Still am a Factory guy, but the Warrior was at a stupid price; I couldn’t resist.

Not trying to bash Warrior, but if they can’t get an NHL goalie in their gear, will Warrior bail on the goalie equipment market? I don’t know what the company’s business model looks like, but I wonder if eventually they decide it’s not worth the investment. That visibility of an NHL goalie wearing your gear is likely a boost for sales. Even more so if multiple goalies are wearing it. If no one is wearing it, I’d imagine demand for it decreases greatly. I wonder if Warrior is even paying the rights fee for goalie equipment. What do you think?

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Not trying to bash Warrior, but if they can’t get an NHL goalie in their gear, will Warrior bail on the goalie equipment market? I don’t know what the company’s business model looks like, but I wonder if eventually they decide it’s not worth the investment. That visibility of an NHL goalie wearing your gear is likely a boost for sales. Even more so if multiple goalies are wearing it. If no one is wearing it, I’d imagine demand for it decreases greatly. I wonder if Warrior is even paying the rights fee for goalie equipment. What do you think?

As I understand it, there are goalies in other professional leagues that wear Warrior pads and gloves, but they don't necessarily need NHL goalies to be wearing their pads to be successful; and, unless the boosted visibility would bring in enough sales to offset the licensing fees the NHL would charge them, it doesn't make financial sense for them to push for it.

In any case, Warrior seems to be carving out a niche in the rec hockey market just fine, without  that NHL visibility, part of it no doubt due to their slightly lower price point than most everyone else (which is going to bring young goalies with frugal parents to the brand, and probably make those young goalies long-term customers).

5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It seems Warrior is doing fine without the NHL. They would not have introduced their sixth pro line if their products weren’t being bought by rec league goalies and other pro leagues. Even though Warrior is under the New Balance umbrella, they would not continually be putting money into new products if nobody bought them. The plug would have been pulled before Ritual 3 dropped if nobody were buying. I am certain they only pay licensing for the sticks. 

I will say that had Pete Smith not come along, there would not be Warrior goalie today. The original Warrior goalie gear was pretty bad, okay- HORRENDOUS!!!! The Messiah trapper was the worst ever. Had Pete Smith not come to the rescue, the only goalie gear Warrior would make would be sticks. The person who proposed buying out Pete Smith should be given a promotion and sizable bonus.  

Whilst advertising in the show certainly drives in sales, it isn’t everything. And I have a funny feeling there could be stealth Warrior product in some places. But remember this: there is plenty of Warrior gear in the show, and the stick could be the biggest bang for the buck in advertising, as the sizes of logos are biggest on the sticks. @CJ Boiss said it well: frugal parents buying quality gear at a lower price point will make this a popular brand for years to come. Last year’s internals in the same, pro quality outer material makes Warrior’s Senior level gear a no brainer to buy for a goalie on a budget. I was impressed by how quickly my green Pooper blocker made via Warrior got into my furry paws. 

I m now finally comfortable with my GT1 but the GT2 does feel much better on the hand. Could be my new set come summer. I am surprised to see the lack of colour ways available for the GT2 line though. Not as exciting as the GT4 choices. Too bad. Maybe I will have to look into the pro ones if budget allows. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, bunnyman666 said:

It seems Warrior is doing fine without the NHL. They would not have introduced their sixth pro line if their products weren’t being bought by rec league goalies and other pro leagues. Even though Warrior is under the New Balance umbrella, they would not continually be putting money into new products if nobody bought them. The plug would have been pulled before Ritual 3 dropped if nobody were buying. I am certain they only pay licensing for the sticks. 

I will say that had Pete Smith not come along, there would not be Warrior goalie today. The original Warrior goalie gear was pretty bad, okay- HORRENDOUS!!!! The Messiah trapper was the worst ever. Had Pete Smith not come to the rescue, the only goalie gear Warrior would make would be sticks. The person who proposed buying out Pete Smith should be given a promotion and sizable bonus.  

Whilst advertising in the show certainly drives in sales, it isn’t everything. And I have a funny feeling there could be stealth Warrior product in some places. But remember this: there is plenty of Warrior gear in the show, and the stick could be the biggest bang for the buck in advertising, as the sizes of logos are biggest on the sticks. @CJ Boiss said it well: frugal parents buying quality gear at a lower price point will make this a popular brand for years to come. Last year’s internals in the same, pro quality outer material makes Warrior’s Senior level gear a no brainer to buy for a goalie on a budget. I was impressed by how quickly my green Pooper blocker made via Warrior got into my furry paws. 

I know that Warrior senior level stuff has an excellent reputation - I like it and plan on purchasing, but could you further explain the part I highlighted? That's very interesting...

On 10/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, bunnyman666 said:

fairly sure Warrior is the most popular or very close to the most popular goalie stick in the NHL.  definitely getting their moneys worth.  they would probably only get a handful of guys wearing the pads and at that point it probably isn't worth the licensing cost.

1 hour ago, Telfo said:

fairly sure Warrior is the most popular or very close to the most popular goalie stick in the NHL.  definitely getting their moneys worth.  they would probably only get a handful of guys wearing the pads and at that point it probably isn't worth the licensing cost.

Exactly. The goal stick has the biggest place for their name. 

Hey Everyone,

Much of what has been said above is true.  Here is our official statement on the NHL discussion.

Warrior Goalie's ultimate goal is to build an unbreakable trust with goaltenders around the world. We want goalies to know that we are doing everything we can to create goalie equipment that pushes the boundaries of performance driven innovation. Innovation that helps goalies maximize their abilities in the net. It is as simple as that. This earned trust is achieved with a focus on quality control, warranties and guarantees that surpass industry standards, on time delivery, and personalized customer care.
While the NHL is an exciting and traditional means of advertising products, we are proving that it is not essential to meeting our ultimate goal of building trust with goalies. While it is likely that we will someday choose to work with NHL goalies, we are currently working extensively with European pro goalies and North American minor league goalies. These pro goalies can continue to validate the performance, innovative features and durability of our gear under the most demanding conditions.
As a goalie, the bottom line is to maximize your performance on the ice while finding value from the gear you choose. Ultimately, nothing else matters. You need to be able to trust that the tools you take out on the ice were created for you to play your best game.

Archived