Similar New Glove to Bauer Reactor 6000/Vaughn Vision 5500

Money

Looking for a similar glove to the Reactor 6000 from Bauer or the Vaughn 5500 (basically clones of each other).   Does anyone know?  the 2X Pro feels more like the Bauer 9000, which I didn't like.  Any help would be great.

bauer-goalie-glove-reactor-6000-r5-vinatge-pro.jpg

vaughn-goalie-glove-v5-5500-vintage-pro-custom-new.jpg

On 10/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, Puckstopper said:

VE8 Pro Carbon 2 piece is the closest current glove I've found to my beloved T5500.  I may know a guy selling one in good shape if you're interested.

How would you describe the differences between the VE8 1 and 2 piece other than the, well, piece?

On 10/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, Puckstopper said:

VE8 Pro Carbon 2 piece is the closest current glove I've found to my beloved T5500.  I may know a guy selling one in good shape if you're interested.

The SLR/Ventus line is the direct successor of the 5500 series. It uses most of the same mold.

https://goalie.purehockey.com/support/2014_vaughn_buyers_guide_pro_catch_gloves/pg_id/7012/

SLR2 feels NOTHING like a T5500.  It almost uses only the first 2 knuckles of the fingers to close.  It's a really odd glove

I do remember people saying the Ventus series was very close to the T5500 but it never felt nearly as good.  The break was slightly further from the thumb than the 5500 and it wasn't quite the same break angle.

Thanks to everyone for the help :).   Think I'll get a 5500 or just keep buying all the bauer 6000's out there.   I just feel a little imbalanced due to the fact I have the 1X blocker which is 1/3 the weight of the 6000 or 5500.  

I would echo the VE8 2-piece that someone said above.

for background, I've had 3 5500s and 1 bauer reactor 6000 (plus a bauer 2s, 590 breaks, etc).  I just keep coming back to the 5500.  It bothers me when people lump 5500 and 600 and 2s together as similar, as they are not close at all.  these gloves have a much higher thumb angle, and the break point is at the base of fingers, which is really different than the 5500 break, which is diagonally through the palm and feels conical.  

The closest current stock glove, in my opinion, to the 5500 is the VE8 2-piece.  none of the other vaughn gloves are as close.  Interestingly, I messaged vaughn on instagram at one point and they confirmed the break/internals of the ve8 2-piece is the same as glove as the PVE1, just the t-shape and graphic are different.  I would definitely check this glove out if you have a store nearby.  If you can find a PVE1 on discount somewhere, that would be a great value play, as it's essentially the same glove.  

as great as the 5500 is for catching, not sure i would order one custom, as the rest of the glove is starting to show its age.  the internals get super slippery, for example.  the backhand padding is just okay.  Modern internal fabrics / strapping are much better.  also, who needs eyelets anymore?     

1 hour ago, Goalline said:

for background, I've had 3 5500s and 1 bauer reactor 6000 (plus a bauer 2s, 590 breaks, etc).  I just keep coming back to the 5500.  It bothers me when people lump 5500 and 600 and 2s together as similar, as they are not close at all.  these gloves have a much higher thumb angle, and the break point is at the base of fingers, which is really different than the 5500 break, which is diagonally through the palm and feels conical.  

The closest current stock glove, in my opinion, to the 5500 is the VE8 2-piece.  none of the other vaughn gloves are as close.  Interestingly, I messaged vaughn on instagram at one point and they confirmed the break/internals of the ve8 2-piece is the same as glove as the PVE1, just the t-shape and graphic are different.  I would definitely check this glove out if you have a store nearby.  If you can find a PVE1 on discount somewhere, that would be a great value play, as it's essentially the same glove.  

as great as the 5500 is for catching, not sure i would order one custom, as the rest of the glove is starting to show its age.  the internals get super slippery, for example.  the backhand padding is just okay.  Modern internal fabrics / strapping are much better.  also, who needs eyelets anymore?     

Great post with great info.

For the record....here is my most recent 5500 I ordered about 5 or 6 years ago...custom with no eyelets ;)

20150817_194847.jpg

10 hours ago, Goalline said:

Whoever from Vaughn told you this does not know what they are talking about. I had the PVE1 glove and it was the most awkward glove I had ever used. I tried on multiple VE8s in both 1 and 2 piece and neither of those were the same as the PVE. I will agree with everyone saying the VE8 2-piece feels the most similar to the 5500 though but I still don't think its exactly the same. But being as Vaughn still makes it I don't know why you would just buy one from them or ask JRZ to whip one up for you since their clone has always been the closest to the original in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Whoever from Vaughn told you this does not know what they are talking about. I had the PVE1 glove and it was the most awkward glove I had ever used. I tried on multiple VE8s in both 1 and 2 piece and neither of those were the same as the PVE. I will agree with everyone saying the VE8 2-piece feels the most similar to the 5500 though but I still don't think its exactly the same. But being as Vaughn still makes it I don't know why you would just buy one from them or ask JRZ to whip one up for you since their clone has always been the closest to the original in my opinion.

Does JRZ make the clone?  Last I ask he said no.  This would sold all my problems.  I mean I have 3 new 6000's laying around so there is no urgency.

12 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

SLR2 feels NOTHING like a T5500.  It almost uses only the first 2 knuckles of the fingers to close.  It's a really odd glove

I do remember people saying the Ventus series was very close to the T5500 but it never felt nearly as good.  The break was slightly further from the thumb than the 5500 and it wasn't quite the same break angle.

I think when it came out, it was supposed to be the successor to the 5500 but "modernized". They may have changed since the original LT90, but I remember the "5500-like" comparisons being tossed out too.

1 hour ago, Money said:

Does JRZ make the clone?  Last I ask he said no.  This would sold all my problems.  I mean I have 3 new 6000's laying around so there is no urgency.

I have no idea. The last one I had was a RX10 version that was one of my favorite gloves. Now that they are making their own stuff and not ghosting for Bauer you'd think they would make you anything they have the molds for but that may not be the case.

Last time I was in Surrey i tried on a SLR2 and thought it was super strange and awkward. I remember thinking it was like I had my hand in a puppet and closing it was like trying to o pi en and close its mouth. It felt very.....horizontal,  for lack of a better word.

PVE2 felt no better but both VE8 gloves felt really good with the 1 piece winning me over .

Archived