JoelTheGoalie's 2016-2017 Season Thread

JoelTheGoalie

I (like Hills) am carrying this thread over from the GoalieCrease forums, and since I don't really see anywhere else to put this video as of right now, I will just post in here.

FINAL SCORE:
3-3 TIE

Goal analysis:
1) I was too far back in my net and I was in too much of a crouch to cover the top half of the net (although if I was a little further forward, that might not have been an issue, because you have to remember the puck comes on an upward trajectory from the ice, and the closer you are, the more angle you can cut off). I also backed in really quickly, too.

2) I wasn't doing a proper VH. There was a huge gaping hole for the puck to go under my leg and into the net. Pretty simple. I could've perhaps come off  the post a bit and taken away that angle, as well.

3) I didn't have my stick down covering my fivehole. The shot was extremely quick (you can't even really see it on camera until it's in the back of the net), but I felt it hit the knee protection on my pads and go in. There was barely any space for the puck to go in and it somehow found its way through. Kind of a lucky goal, if you ask me, but I should've had that anyways.

Overall, I'm not super happy with my game. I thought I did a poor job of being in proper position on my posts, and I need to re-examine how I go about my VH in practice. Perhaps a reverse VH would be better, I don't know. I made a few decent saves and after the middle of the 2nd period, I shut the door. I thought my glove hand was pretty good in this game, but I obviously need to work on tightening things up when I come off the post.

This was a fairly important game, as we are trying to win the league banner. Currently, we're tied for first with a game in hand on another team, but there's a team that has a game in hand on us and we happen to play them in our next league game (the final one of the season), so that should be interesting. We will need another 2 points to clinch the banner, and we just gained 2 for that tie (1 for getting less than 12 penalty minutes and 1 for the tie itself). We just need to either tie that team or beat them to win, but if we had won this game against C5, we would've pretty much clinched the banner already.

I'm hoping that I can actually practice fixing my VH and positioning this week and next week because I hadn't been on the ice for 9 days prior to this game, which was due to snowy weather making driving and walking conditions a mess. I should have a bunch more ice-times before my next start, so I will be very vigilant in making sure that I iron out these things. I think I just need to simplify my game and fix where I am in the blue paint, and I should be good.

Our team record is 10-2-1 with 79 goals for (most in the league) and 27 goals against (least in the league).

First, glad you made it over here. I enjoy watching your videos and I like how you critique yourself.

1) You are right about not being far enough out. Was this a turnover in your end? I think if you stopped coming out at the top or just past the top of the crease you would have saved it. Any specific reason you went paddle down?

2) I would've used the RVH instead of the VH here. How far from the red line was he?

3) What was your stick doing in that VH? It should be right in front of your pads (shots like this is why I don't really use the VH anymore). Did you take your eye off the puck when it was released? Sometimes you are looking for passing options and they shoot it just at the worst possible moment.

What size is your goalie stick?

I agree with the comments above.   You seemed to play very deep in the net most of the time.   Some of the time you got away with it with your quickness and reaction times, however, as the shots get harder, you will need to rely more on positioning and proper depth.   I also would have used a RVH on the second goal for sure, maybe the 3rd one as well.  Couldn't tell exactly where the shooter was when he shot it.    On the flip side, your stance, quickness and movements look very strong.   Keep up the good work.  We all learn a little more with each time on the ice, or each mistake we make.   

On 2/15/2017 at 0:58 PM, Hills said:

First, glad you made it over here. I enjoy watching your videos and I like how you critique yourself.

1) You are right about not being far enough out. Was this a turnover in your end? I think if you stopped coming out at the top or just past the top of the crease you would have saved it. Any specific reason you went paddle down?

2) I would've used the RVH instead of the VH here. How far from the red line was he?

3) What was your stick doing in that VH? It should be right in front of your pads (shots like this is why I don't really use the VH anymore). Did you take your eye off the puck when it was released? Sometimes you are looking for passing options and they shoot it just at the worst possible moment.

What size is your goalie stick?

Thank you. :) I'm happy that there's still somewhere I can do it, and I hope more people can come to this community and share their games with us.

1) It was a turnover just inside the blue line. I don't quite know why I went paddle-down, but it was obviously not a good choice.

2) I believe he was up by the hash-marks, so I could've played the angle a bit better there. I've been practicing my RVH in practice with some decent results, so I'm probably going to be using it a bit more in my next game.

3) I think I did lose sight of it, and it was super quick, too. I don't know why my stick was there, I think because he was at a sharp angle, I thought maybe he would try to pass across, but I should've still covered my five-hole with my stick.

Overall, I wasn't feeling great going into that game (was hungry, tired, I actually felt winded for some reason in the warmup— but that went away as the game went on, etc.), and I made a few mental mistakes that translated into physical mistakes, and that's really what happened in that game. I was ill-prepared and I played like it. Our other goalie wasn't able to be there, so it's not like I could've just said "coach, I'm not feeling ready for this game", so I had to go and play as I was. Now I am going to be very certain not to repeat the same mistakes again for the rest of this season. Usually my preparation is fine, but on that day, it was lacking.

My goalie stick is a 25" Warrior Ritual VR2. I used to play with a 27.5" a couple years ago before I realized that it was not really helping much.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, Srsieve said:

I agree with the comments above.   You seemed to play very deep in the net most of the time.   Some of the time you got away with it with your quickness and reaction times, however, as the shots get harder, you will need to rely more on positioning and proper depth.   I also would have used a RVH on the second goal for sure, maybe the 3rd one as well.  Couldn't tell exactly where the shooter was when he shot it.    On the flip side, your stance, quickness and movements look very strong.   Keep up the good work.  We all learn a little more with each time on the ice, or each mistake we make.   

Yup, you're correct. My depth and positioning need some serious work. Quickness only helps so much as shots get harder. I have to work on keeping my upper body upright (glove and blocker included), and I would like to minimize the amount of movement I do by just looking bigger in the net through positioning, maybe a better chest protector, and better crease depth. I think if I could become better at those things and combine them with my quickness and athletic ability, I should be a much harder goalie to score on.

On 2/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Thank you. :) I'm happy that there's still somewhere I can do it, and I hope more people can come to this community and share their games with us.

1) It was a turnover just inside the blue line. I don't quite know why I went paddle-down, but it was obviously not a good choice.

2) I believe he was up by the hash-marks, so I could've played the angle a bit better there. I've been practicing my RVH in practice with some decent results, so I'm probably going to be using it a bit more in my next game.

3) I think I did lose sight of it, and it was super quick, too. I don't know why my stick was there, I think because he was at a sharp angle, I thought maybe he would try to pass across, but I should've still covered my five-hole with my stick.

Overall, I wasn't feeling great going into that game (was hungry, tired, I actually felt winded for some reason in the warmup— but that went away as the game went on, etc.), and I made a few mental mistakes that translated into physical mistakes, and that's really what happened in that game. I was ill-prepared and I played like it. Our other goalie wasn't able to be there, so it's not like I could've just said "coach, I'm not feeling ready for this game", so I had to go and play as I was. Now I am going to be very certain not to repeat the same mistakes again for the rest of this season. Usually my preparation is fine, but on that day, it was lacking.

My goalie stick is a 25" Warrior Ritual VR2. I used to play with a 27.5" a couple years ago before I realized that it was not really helping much.

Everyone has bad games, as long as you know what the mistakes were and how to fix them than it is all good.

How tall were you when you played with the 27.5"? I use a 29" and if I recall you are quite tall, it might be benefitial to try out a taller paddle.

21 hours ago, Hills said:

Everyone has bad games, as long as you know what the mistakes were and how to fix them than it is all good.

How tall were you when you played with the 27.5"? I use a 29" and if I recall you are quite tall, it might be benefitial to try out a taller paddle.

I was 6'0. I'm 6'2 now,  but I I probably would find the 27.5" to be too tall, still. I don't think I've ever seen a 29" in my local Source for Sports.

On 2/22/2017 at 8:06 AM, Hills said:

Companies all measure their sticks differently, so 29" probably isn't that big. It seems comparable with my 27" Fischer stick.

https://infinitygoalie.com/pages/how-we-measure-paddle-length

Warrior 27.5" paddles are 28.5" with Infinity". So basically, you have the equivalent of a 28" Warrior.

A 27.5" Infinity stick is equivalent to my 26" Warrior stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I go on, I have noticed this new subforum, and I can't seem to delete my previously created thread in the parent forum. I'd very much appreciate if my original thread was merged with this one so as to not be confusing.

Anyways, here's my video for today:

FINAL SCORE:
5-3 Win

For the sake of the video, I (Joel) am #1, Qaseem is #31.

Goal analysis:
1) I poke checked someone, then the puck came out to one of their defensemen, and I went to poke check him while he was shooting, so the puck rolled up my stick, hit my mask, and went in the net. It was kind of an unlucky bounce, but I should have been more flush to my post.

2) My mom didn't manage to get it on film, but the other team dumped the puck in along the ice from their blue line and Qaseem went to put his paddle down to stop it, but it went under his paddle, through his legs, and into the net. Definitely not the greatest goal against... but it happens to everyone somewhere down the line.

3) This goal is just a result of Qaseem being too upright and too slow dropping into his butterfly. That's pretty much all that happened on that goal.

Since we won this game, we have officially clinched the regular season league banner, and we will play the 4th ranked team in the playoffs on the 11th of March. We finished the season with an 11-2-1 record, 84 goals for and 30 goals against in 14 games.

Why were you guys switching during the game? I wouldn't worry about the puck ramping up your stick on that one, it happens. Also, not to be a dick to your other goalie, but you are miles ahead of him and I think he should look at you on how to improve. Good work.

22 hours ago, Hills said:

Why were you guys switching during the game? I wouldn't worry about the puck ramping up your stick on that one, it happens. Also, not to be a dick to your other goalie, but you are miles ahead of him and I think he should look at you on how to improve. Good work.

We were supposed to split the game anyways, so instead of one of us sitting for half a game at a time, we switch out every 5 minutes or so (closest whistle). It keeps us both active and allows us to go to the bench and reset if need be. It's kind of weird, but we haven't lost a game doing this, yet.  Also, our other goalie isn't the best (as you mentioned), so we don't want him to go in for half a game, get scored on 8 times, and then be behind whenever I go in at the half-way point. We do play full games, but that's usually only in big games or whenever one of us is not able to be at the rink.

I'm trying to help him get better by giving him little tidbits of advice. A few weeks ago I told him to start using a shorter paddle (he was using a larger paddle than what I currently use, even though he's way shorter than me), and he started doing a bit better. He let in a bad goal in this recent game, and I let him stay in net afterwards (even though we could've switched) to get his confidence back right away.

1 hour ago, JoelTheGoalie said:

We were supposed to split the game anyways, so instead of one of us sitting for half a game at a time, we switch out every 5 minutes or so (closest whistle). It keeps us both active and allows us to go to the bench and reset if need be. It's kind of weird, but we haven't lost a game doing this, yet.  Also, our other goalie isn't the best (as you mentioned), so we don't want him to go in for half a game, get scored on 8 times, and then be behind whenever I go in at the half-way point. We do play full games, but that's usually only in big games or whenever one of us is not able to be at the rink.

I'm trying to help him get better by giving him little tidbits of advice. A few weeks ago I told him to start using a shorter paddle (he was using a larger paddle than what I currently use, even though he's way shorter than me), and he started doing a bit better. He let in a bad goal in this recent game, and I let him stay in net afterwards (even though we could've switched) to get his confidence back right away.

Ah, that makes sense. He doesn't drive down when going into the butterfly and seems to just drop down, he also doesn't seem to have the concept of using your skates to push you and slide when in the butterfly either but instead shuffles. You have a good idea of the fundamentals and mechanics so I think you could be very helpful for him.

6 hours ago, Hills said:

Ah, that makes sense. He doesn't drive down when going into the butterfly and seems to just drop down, he also doesn't seem to have the concept of using your skates to push you and slide when in the butterfly either but instead shuffles. You have a good idea of the fundamentals and mechanics so I think you could be very helpful for him.

He also has terrible rebound control. He just drops, blocks, and he doesn't really have the skill to direct the puck into a corner or away from traffic.

Final Score: 6-3 Win
This was the first ever Reid Kyfiuk Cup, which was created to honour a 15 year old hockey player who lost his life during a freak snowboarding accident, and who was well known in the Saanich Minor Hockey community.

All 6 house teams participated in this season-long tournament, and our team (C1) came in first in the league, then we won the cup game.

For reference: I'm #1, Qaseem is #31.

As for the analysis, there is none, because my mom didn't record the goals against (I don't know why, but I guess she missed them).
I didn't let in anything, but our other goalie let in 3. I played a good portion of the game, but not all of it. We usually do a system where  we switch every 5 minutes or so, but we didn't really do that today because this is a pretty big game, and we really wanted to win this one and be the first with our names on the banner up in the stands.

Overall, I played a solid game, but obviously there's some things I can still work on, which I will look at improving in time for our next game (or two), which happens this weekend.

4 hours ago, Fullright said:

Congrats Joel. Good work getting the catching glove in a better position. A little ways to go but much much better.

Thank you! I was watching some of my clips from earlier on in the season and comparing it to my two most recent games, and you can definitely see there's a difference in how my glove hand is positioned,  but as you said, there's still a ways to go before it's perfected. I need to work a little more on my crease depth and my positioning/timing when coming off the posts.

Final Score: 7-1 Win
After coming first in our league, we faced off against the 4th place team to move onto the playoff finals.

Goal Analysis:
1) I was too far back in my crease and my glove was a bit high. I was partially screened by my defensemen skating in front, as well.

Overall, I played a pretty strong game and made the saves when I needed to. I tried to keep cool and calm, and I think I did a good job of that today. I have noticed that my glove was a little wild, today, and it kind of hurt me a bit on that goal against, as I spent that extra split second turning it. For most of the game, my defense didn't let them get too close to the net, and they gave me enough time to see and stop the shots, which was nice.

Final Score: 6-1 Win
Since we won the semi-final game, we made it to the finals and dominated JDF.

Goal Analysis
1 -  Qaseem ) He was slow getting over and his legs were wide open, rather than in a proper butterfly.

So our season has almost come to an end...
We won the Reid Kyfiuk League/Cup Banners (SMHA) and we won our VIAHA league and playoff banners.
Overall, we have had a very successful year, and it's nice to end minor hockey with my name on a few banners.
In league play (counting playoffs) my GAA was 1.74, which is probably one of the most solid, consistent seasons that I can recall. I actually allowed 0 GAA against JDF C3 in 2.75 games, and they finished 2nd in our league.

Although I got a shutout, there's still a few things I'd like to improve, including:
- Getting my glove positioning fixed so it's turned facing the wrong way. I was making some progress, but it was pretty bad in my last two games.
- Coming out to challenge a little more, because I like to stay in the middle of my crease, rather than at the top of it. I guess it's working, but if I were playing against better shooters, they'd probably find some open net
- My stance needs some work... I leave a lot of five-hole open and crouch my chest down too much.

We have one more tournament next weekend, so I should have that all filmed. I will try to work on the things mentioned above in practice this week— I want to give our team the best chance to win that tournament.

8 hours ago, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score: 6-1 Win
Since we won the semi-final game, we made it to the finals and dominated JDF.

Goal Analysis
1 -  Qaseem ) He was slow getting over and his legs were wide open, rather than in a proper butterfly.

So our season has almost come to an end...
We won the Reid Kyfiuk League/Cup Banners (SMHA) and we won our VIAHA league and playoff banners.
Overall, we have had a very successful year, and it's nice to end minor hockey with my name on a few banners.
In league play (counting playoffs) my GAA was 1.74, which is probably one of the most solid, consistent seasons that I can recall. I actually allowed 0 GAA against JDF C3 in 2.75 games, and they finished 2nd in our league.

Although I got a shutout, there's still a few things I'd like to improve, including:
- Getting my glove positioning fixed so it's turned facing the wrong way. I was making some progress, but it was pretty bad in my last two games.
- Coming out to challenge a little more, because I like to stay in the middle of my crease, rather than at the top of it. I guess it's working, but if I were playing against better shooters, they'd probably find some open net
- My stance needs some work... I leave a lot of five-hole open and crouch my chest down too much.

We have one more tournament next weekend, so I should have that all filmed. I will try to work on the things mentioned above in practice this week— I want to give our team the best chance to win that tournament.

The most confusing thing about that video was that it seemed like you and the other goalie switched every few minutes.   How did you actually divide up the game? Most of the time, teams will use one goalie for a whole game, then play the other goalie the next game, with the "main" goalie getting around 2/3rds of the starts.   Other teams will switch their goalies around the mid-point of the 2nd, essentially splitting the game in half.    I have never seen a game where the 2 goalies are switching numerous times during the game.    Regardless, nice job in net and congrats on the win.        

49 minutes ago, Srsieve said:

The most confusing thing about that video was that it seemed like you and the other goalie switched every few minutes.   How did you actually divide up the game? Most of the time, teams will use one goalie for a whole game, then play the other goalie the next game, with the "main" goalie getting around 2/3rds of the starts.   Other teams will switch their goalies around the mid-point of the 2nd, essentially splitting the game in half.    I have never seen a game where the 2 goalies are switching numerous times during the game.    Regardless, nice job in net and congrats on the win.        

Essentially, our coach decided one day to have us switch every 5 minutes (nearest whistle), rather than sit on the bench for half of the game. His reasoning behind it is that we don't go cold, plus he can put one of us in or keep one of us in during certain situations. In this game, the coach just switched us at random times. I ended up playing about 75% of the game, but he can still say he played the other goalie. In Rec/House hockey, you're supposed to give everyone relatively equal amounts of icetime, but we also wanted to win, so I played the entire semifinal and part of the final. Had our other goalie been in net the entire final, it might have been a completely different game.

Archived