JoelTheGoalie's 2016-2017 Season Thread

JoelTheGoalie

On 3/9/2017 at 3:11 AM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score: 6-3 Win
This was the first ever Reid Kyfiuk Cup, which was created to honour a 15 year old hockey player who lost his life during a freak snowboarding accident, and who was well known in the Saanich Minor Hockey community.

All 6 house teams participated in this season-long tournament, and our team (C1) came in first in the league, then we won the cup game.

For reference: I'm #1, Qaseem is #31.

As for the analysis, there is none, because my mom didn't record the goals against (I don't know why, but I guess she missed them).
I didn't let in anything, but our other goalie let in 3. I played a good portion of the game, but not all of it. We usually do a system where  we switch every 5 minutes or so, but we didn't really do that today because this is a pretty big game, and we really wanted to win this one and be the first with our names on the banner up in the stands.

Overall, I played a solid game, but obviously there's some things I can still work on, which I will look at improving in time for our next game (or two), which happens this weekend.

Congrats on the win. Not much I can say that I think you need to improve on.

On 3/12/2017 at 0:17 AM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score: 7-1 Win
After coming first in our league, we faced off against the 4th place team to move onto the playoff finals.

Goal Analysis:
1) I was too far back in my crease and my glove was a bit high. I was partially screened by my defensemen skating in front, as well.

Overall, I played a pretty strong game and made the saves when I needed to. I tried to keep cool and calm, and I think I did a good job of that today. I have noticed that my glove was a little wild, today, and it kind of hurt me a bit on that goal against, as I spent that extra split second turning it. For most of the game, my defense didn't let them get too close to the net, and they gave me enough time to see and stop the shots, which was nice.

I think plays like this is where your glove hurts you a bit, but you know that and it is always a trade off of where you are going to cover. I thought you did well, I think one play on a tip it looked like you were off angle but you made a good recovery and made the save.

3 hours ago, Srsieve said:

The most confusing thing about that video was that it seemed like you and the other goalie switched every few minutes.   How did you actually divide up the game? Most of the time, teams will use one goalie for a whole game, then play the other goalie the next game, with the "main" goalie getting around 2/3rds of the starts.   Other teams will switch their goalies around the mid-point of the 2nd, essentially splitting the game in half.    I have never seen a game where the 2 goalies are switching numerous times during the game.    Regardless, nice job in net and congrats on the win.        

Great lower glove save at 0:22. I think you were a bit deep in your crease on the one that hit the post (or did it hit your toe?) either way congrats again on a big win. You are a strong force in net for your team and I am looking forward to those tournament videos!

On 3/13/2017 at 8:01 AM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Essentially, our coach decided one day to have us switch every 5 minutes (nearest whistle), rather than sit on the bench for half of the game....

The fact you say “our coach decided one day” really scares me. That sounds like a real lack of understanding of the position.

IMO your coach is doing both of you a disservice with the short-shifting. At this point you need to have both the physical and mental stamina to take on a full game. Being able to say to yourself, “well I only have to weather the storm a few minutes” or “I’m not happy with that last goal, but I’m outta here anyway” does nothing for your mental toughness. On the other side, being able to sit “cold” for half the game or more and then come in at a moment’s notice is also part of the goaltending burden you must be able to shoulder.

I appreciate in non-rep hockey you need to share the spot, but that’s not the way to do it. Your coach needs to realize you are not like forwards, and short shifts in the net is probably actually hampering (both of) your development.

Consider one day in the not too distant future, if you don’t play high lever or pro: beer league, rec hockey or shinny doesn't (usually) have a backup there, so you should get used to it now…

On 3/14/2017 at 2:25 PM, Ghostender said:

The fact you say “our coach decided one day” really scares me. That sounds like a real lack of understanding of the position.

IMO your coach is doing both of you a disservice with the short-shifting. At this point you need to have both the physical and mental stamina to take on a full game. Being able to say to yourself, “well I only have to weather the storm a few minutes” or “I’m not happy with that last goal, but I’m outta here anyway” does nothing for your mental toughness. On the other side, being able to sit “cold” for half the game or more and then come in at a moment’s notice is also part of the goaltending burden you must be able to shoulder.

I appreciate in non-rep hockey you need to share the spot, but that’s not the way to do it. Your coach needs to realize you are not like forwards, and short shifts in the net is probably actually hampering (both of) your development.

Consider one day in the not too distant future, if you don’t play high lever or pro: beer league, rec hockey or shinny doesn't (usually) have a backup there, so you should get used to it now…

Honestly, I don't think Joel has any issues with playing the full game. I think this is more of managing the other goalie's weakness not to cost his team games. I don't think the majority of goalies would ever have those thoughts in their head regardless of how long they are in the net for, when I play shifts as a skater it is never about just ending that shift or getting out of there.

17 hours ago, Hills said:

Honestly, I don't think Joel has any issues with playing the full game. I think this is more of managing the other goalie's weakness not to cost his team games....

To clarify, I am not questioning Joel's ability - I've been watching his videos since he started posting on GCN and I know he's got the skills (still gotta turn that glove though :))

I don't think though that this will help manage Qaseem's weaknesses though - it's nothing better than a band-aid solution, and believe it is truly beneficial for either goalie at this level to be playing full games

35 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

To clarify, I am not questioning Joel's ability - I've been watching his videos since he started posting on GCN and I know he's got the skills (still gotta turn that glove though :))

I don't think though that this will help manage Qaseem's weaknesses though - it's nothing better than a band-aid solution, and believe it is truly beneficial for either goalie at this level to be playing full games

Sure you might not have questioned Joel's abilities, but you were saying this was doing a disservice to both of them. Which is what I kind of disagree with and I understand where the coach is coming from. I don't recall any of his previous videos where they switched every few minutes, but just in these tournament or playoff situations. Where the coach can't exactly bench a goalie for the entire thing since it isn't a bull blown competitive travel team.

I agree that a full game would be more ideal, but just like adult leagues you have to balance sitting your weak links to continue playing or come to a compromise like they did here. I think managing the other goalies weaknesses is exactly what is happening here, instead of completely fixing the problem and sitting him. At the end of a season you aren't going to fix his abilities enough to make him a non-liability.

To me playing 5 minute intervals would be better than going in half the game cold, when I was younger I told my coach to keep the hot goalie in. I am playing devil's advocate here since I see both sides and think the coach made a tough decision that won't help development but will help the team in crucial games.

First, apologies to Joel: I think this thread got a bit high-jacked…

Matt, you said:

I agree that a full game would be more ideal, but just like adult leagues you have to balance sitting your weak links to continue playing or come to a compromise like they did here..

Yes, full game would be ideal. What I am not sure of is your next comment, where you say “…but just like adult leagues you have to balance sitting your weak links…”

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but are you saying adult leagues (where you are) swap off goalies during the game (assuming they have more than one goalie)?

To that end perhaps this is a “regional culture”. I know others on these forums have stated they play drop-in where they rotate between 3 or 4 or X number of goalies over short periods or after a set number of GA. I’ve never played that type of hockey – here you have to sign up for drop in (yeah, kind of makes the term “drop-in” a bit of an oxymoron) and once two goalies are in, that part is closed off. So my understanding and/or acceptance of that concept is biased for sure.

Conversely, you said “To me playing 5 minute intervals would be better than going in half the game cold…”. The “½ game going in cold” thing is what I grew up with when I shared tending duties in minor hockey, so I guess it’s what you know.

2 hours ago, Ghostender said:

First, apologies to Joel: I think this thread got a bit high-jacked…

Matt, you said:

I agree that a full game would be more ideal, but just like adult leagues you have to balance sitting your weak links to continue playing or come to a compromise like they did here..

Yes, full game would be ideal. What I am not sure of is your next comment, where you say “…but just like adult leagues you have to balance sitting your weak links…”

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but are you saying adult leagues (where you are) swap off goalies during the game (assuming they have more than one goalie)?

To that end perhaps this is a “regional culture”. I know others on these forums have stated they play drop-in where they rotate between 3 or 4 or X number of goalies over short periods or after a set number of GA. I’ve never played that type of hockey – here you have to sign up for drop in (yeah, kind of makes the term “drop-in” a bit of an oxymoron) and once two goalies are in, that part is closed off. So my understanding and/or acceptance of that concept is biased for sure.

Conversely, you said “To me playing 5 minute intervals would be better than going in half the game cold…”. The “½ game going in cold” thing is what I grew up with when I shared tending duties in minor hockey, so I guess it’s what you know.

No, I was talking about skaters. When you pay to play everyone has the expectation that they will be playing, which is what is happening here (or at the very least the weaker goalie's parents have that expectation). When it comes to do or die situations you have to manage the weak links on the team in order to keep playing, for adult league that means sitting the weak players in important situations on the ice. Now that is harder to do with goalies obviously, but is seems that is what they are trying to do in these games. I have a feeling if the game was extremely close in the last 5 minutes and with Joel's team on a penalty kill Joel would be in net.

Depending on the year, when growing up we had a choice to play 1/2 game or split every other game. When we had the choice we played the full game, but at the same time we sat the weaker goalie in playoffs when the team needed a win.

20 minutes ago, Hills said:

No, I was talking about skaters. When you pay to play everyone has the expectation that they will be playing, which is what is happening here (or at the very least the weaker goalie's parents have that expectation). When it comes to do or die situations you have to manage the weak links on the team in order to keep playing, for adult league that means sitting the weak players in important situations on the ice. Now that is harder to do with goalies obviously, but is seems that is what they are trying to do in these games. I have a feeling if the game was extremely close in the last 5 minutes and with Joel's team on a penalty kill Joel would be in net.

Depending on the year, when growing up we had a choice to play 1/2 game or split every other game. When we had the choice we played the full game, but at the same time we sat the weaker goalie in playoffs when the team needed a win.

Not only was it the expectation of Qaseem and his parents, but it's actually a requirement now from BC Hockey to play everyone as equally as possible. So that means you're not really supposed to double shift players or sit other players-- goalies included.

When I was playing Rep a few years ago, it used to be that the hotter goalie played or the coach decided to put a certain goalie against certain teams (usually based on previous results). I've started in full games about 20 times, at least, because Qaseem was not able to get time off of work. It's only recently that he's been able to play.

Qaseem was actually supposed to start our finals game, but the coach decided to make a compromise and have us switch. He started me at the beginning of each period (that's usually when you see the biggest pushback from the other team) and he switched me in when we were on the PK. It worked out well, but it sure was odd.

As far as development goes... well, Qaseem has 2 more years left of Minor Hockey, and this is my final year. He'll get his chance to play more next year and the year after... for me there isn't really a "next year". If it were up to the coach, I'd probably end up starting nearly every single game, but alas, youre not supposed to do that unless you have to.

Final Score: 6-5 Win
This was the first game of our tournament in Cowichan. We are guaranteed to play 4 at least games.

Goal Analysis:
1) I tried to take away the space by leaning my body over, but the puck hit the cuff of my glove and bounced over me into the net.

2) I was trying to catch my breath because I was following the play behind the net going back and forth like 4 times, and my nose was plugged from a cold. One of my forwards flipped the puck up, so I thought it was going up and out, but their defenseman knocked it down, and I couldn't see the puck at all because two of my defensemen and one of their forwards were completely screening me, so that's why I was standing up straight (to see try and find the puck). In addition, I was way too far back in my net and I was slow getting into my butterfly.

3) My glove-hand was terrible in this game, and especially on this play. I tried to turn my hand to catch the puck (because my glove was in the wrong position in the first place), and it went off the cuff of my glove, then hit my back-right pad and went in.

4) This is kind of the result of of a couple things, including; choosing the VH rather than the RVH, not having my stick in the right position. and the puck being deflected by the Comox player in front of the net.

5) This one wasn't entirely my fault, the Comox player made a good pass and both of my defensemen were trying to rush at him for some reason, and Comox had another player who was wide open and able to take the one-timer.

All in all, this was probably one of my weakest games of the year.
I made some good saves, but I also let in some really weak goals, especially through my five-hole and on my glove-side. Pucks were going through me and I wasn't entirely sure if I had it or not, and I wasn't playing with much energy, so I was sluggish and slow when moving side-to-side. I'm going to try and do a better job of preparing for our next game so I don't have these problems. Our defence weren't very helpful today, either, as they gave up a number of breakaways, they screened me, and they just let Comox walk in and have grade-A shots on me (which I stopped for the most part, but still). It was just one of those nights. Luckily, the other goalie was worse, but still, this should've been maybe a 6-2 win for us, not a 6-5 win.

Final Score: 3-1 Win
This was our first of two games for the day.

Goal Analysis:
1) I tried to stop the puck with my paddle down, but it hit the nob/shaft of my stick and went right to the Cow. Valley player, who passed the puck and put it under me when I tried to make a sprawling save.

I played decent in this game, honestly. That first goal was my fault, though, as I should've had better control of the initial shot. The paddle-down probably wasn't the best option for it, either.

Final Score: 7-2 Win
This was our second game of the day, and the tournament listing didn't have Nanaimo's team number, so that's why there's a question-mark beside the C.

Goal Analysis:
1) The Nanaimo player dumped the puck in and the puck took a funny hop off the boards, came right back to him, and he put it under my arm. I could've been out a little further— the puck got a piece of my chest protector before going in.

2) I went out to play the puck, but there was nobody to pass to and the Nanaimo. Valley player got ahead of my defenceman, and I tried to leave the puck for my defenceman, who bobbled it. The Nanaimo player then got the puck and walked in and took a shot on me when I was pretty out of position. I didn't cover my right-side at all, I basically just gave him an entire net to shoot at, and he scored.

I didn't play particularily bad in this game, but I didn't have to really do much. I've got to be a little quicker about my decisions when I play the puck, because sometimes I take a bit too long to move it.

In both games, I think I did a better job of keeping my glove in control, so that's always a plus. I also think I did a better job down low, keeping my butterfly and stick in the right place.

Joel:

(General comments based on the tournament videos)

I think your game has really come up since you started posting back on GCN, and I think experience in this is tournament (as it usually does) has allowed you to up your game even more. Your b-fly pushes are great and I really like your calmness in net.

Two critiques:

1. Aim that glove at the puck! A few times, even though you made the glove save, you had to work harder than you probably needed to because you had it saying “hi” to the boards and not he puck

1.  Two examples of my second point:
    1. The 1st goal in the CowValley game  (@0:35) – you are extended paddle down to your right – when the pass comes across to your left you have no time to get over
    2. 2nd goal Nanaimo game @ 0:45 – you went paddle down, leaving a lot free upstairs

My general comment with respect to the second point is that (at least during this tournament) you went paddle-down a lot. Full disclosure: I learned as a stand-up goalie (to paraphrase Fullright, when electricity was a novelty) so I don’t tend to use the paddle down a lot. While I do appreciate its merits, it can leave you very vulnerable up high or when you fail to block the pass. This is a trade off, so its up to you to determine the point where you are preventing more than you are allowing by going paddle down: I suspect with experimentation,  you can find that sweet spot.

Having said all this, I don’t think my comments come as a surprise to you as they tend to echo your self-analysis – and good self analysis is probably one of the most important assets you can have

Looking forward to more posts...

Final Score:
8-1 Win

This was our first game of the day.

I can't really give a goal analysis because my mom missed the goal, and it's hard to describe without a visual...
I had maybe 7 shots in this game, so not a ton of work.

Final Score:
8-0 Win

This was our second game of the day, and my third full-game shutout of the season (I've had probably 5 or 6 shutouts in games where I haven't played the entire thing due to goalie switching and what not).

I played pretty good in this game, needless to say, but my team played a very solid defensive game and mostly boxed Victoria out. This Victoria team had only allowed 7 goals in 4 games prior to playing us (they have a good goalie and defense), but we tore them apart.

Final Score:
3-2 Loss

This was our 3rd game of the day and my final game of minor hockey.

Goal Analysis:
1) I was too far back in my net and I was kind of leaning back, giving him lots of net to shoot at.
2) Again, same thing as the previous goal. I was basically on my goal-line and I dropped down onto my right knee while leaving my left leg up rather than doing a full butterfly. I gave him far too much space to shoot.
3) I almost had this one, honestly, but I should've gone for a butterfly instead of a paddle-down, because he scored right between the wickets, which were still open to shoot at when I was going down.

The scheduling in this tournament was really not well thought out. Saanich C3 only had to play one game prior to playing us, while we had to play two prior to playing them. That wasn't really fair to us, but I think we did decently, considering the circumstances. I was tired and my teammates were tired, and we couldn't contain their top player (#9) very well. We were down 3-0 after 2 period, but we mustered up some energy and made it 3-2, however, we couldn't complete the comeback.

I would've liked to have won my final minor hockey game, but at least the team can say we gave it our all, and we won pretty much everything else we could have. 

I got an award for "Most Outstanding Goaltender" of the tournament, which was a decent way to end the season, but I would trade that for a win any day. I could've played much better in this game and maybe we would've come up with a different result, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm definitely going to miss minor hockey and many of the people I have played with, but I doubt this will be the last time I ever play organized hockey. I still have ice sessions with the Hockey Academy at my school for the next couple of months, so I won't be completely done playing, at least.

Overall, I had a really good year, only losing 4 games and winning 20+ (not sure of the exact number, but it's at least 20, just based on tournaments + VIAHA league play), and the most goals I allowed in a game was 5. Having the community help point out some flaws, I was able to improve my game and stay consistent throughout the season.

I think it gave me an advantage over other goaltenders, and I'd like to thank you for helping me along in this journey... it's been a good run so far.

This is probably not the last you will see of me, but I can say that I probably won't be posting anymore game footage for at least a year and a half.

I don't plan on playing Juvenile, but I might do stick-and-puck or drop-in every now and again, and I do want to play Beer League once I'm 19 (next year).

On 3/17/2017 at 9:09 PM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score: 6-5 Win
This was the first game of our tournament in Cowichan. We are guaranteed to play 4 at least games.

Goal Analysis:
1) I tried to take away the space by leaning my body over, but the puck hit the cuff of my glove and bounced over me into the net.

2) I was trying to catch my breath because I was following the play behind the net going back and forth like 4 times, and my nose was plugged from a cold. One of my forwards flipped the puck up, so I thought it was going up and out, but their defenseman knocked it down, and I couldn't see the puck at all because two of my defensemen and one of their forwards were completely screening me, so that's why I was standing up straight (to see try and find the puck). In addition, I was way too far back in my net and I was slow getting into my butterfly.

3) My glove-hand was terrible in this game, and especially on this play. I tried to turn my hand to catch the puck (because my glove was in the wrong position in the first place), and it went off the cuff of my glove, then hit my back-right pad and went in.

4) This is kind of the result of of a couple things, including; choosing the VH rather than the RVH, not having my stick in the right position. and the puck being deflected by the Comox player in front of the net.

5) This one wasn't entirely my fault, the Comox player made a good pass and both of my defensemen were trying to rush at him for some reason, and Comox had another player who was wide open and able to take the one-timer.

All in all, this was probably one of my weakest games of the year.
I made some good saves, but I also let in some really weak goals, especially through my five-hole and on my glove-side. Pucks were going through me and I wasn't entirely sure if I had it or not, and I wasn't playing with much energy, so I was sluggish and slow when moving side-to-side. I'm going to try and do a better job of preparing for our next game so I don't have these problems. Our defence weren't very helpful today, either, as they gave up a number of breakaways, they screened me, and they just let Comox walk in and have grade-A shots on me (which I stopped for the most part, but still). It was just one of those nights. Luckily, the other goalie was worse, but still, this should've been maybe a 6-2 win for us, not a 6-5 win.

Sorry this has taken me a while to comment on. I've been busy lately and haven't had time to. Thank you for adding in the slow-motion on the goals! It saves me from having to go through it slower haha.

Firstly the glove edit was hilarious.

@0.12 Is there a reason you dropped a bit early there? Sometimes I will drop early against good shooters when I know they can possibly slide it under me with a quick shot or I am lacking confidence in the play (happens a lot on players skating cross ice with traffic or with lots of speed). But this leaves me immobile and is a bad habit that I am trying to break. You ended up making a good save on it.

1st goal: I know what you were trying to do, and that was a bad bounce off the cuff... but I am going to say a few things to watch out for. This will probably come with more experience or when you become older and lazier like I do! It can be difficult making yourself not react when you know you have an angle covered 100%, which you very closely have in this frame. I am going to make a few points about it and what I might have done differently. I also remember that this is a game situation and things to work out always as planned an it might have just been a symptom of the play. Front angles are always tough because you can't see the play develop or have non-distorted view of the angle.

• You seem perfectly square to the puck with your chest, which is good (but I wouldn't have played it this way and I'll explain below).
  • Your chest his good and high, seriously you do a very good job of this here.
  • Your pads seal the 5-hole pretty well so there isn't a huge gap, but I'd be weary of pucks sliding underneath.
  • I am going to assume the stick is trailing to cut off a possible back door pass (I am assuming as that is what I do in these plays).
  • Your skate is on the post, causing you further out of the crease than how I'd play this. For this play I'd personally try push into a RVH and have a glove side post lean which would push your shoulder and head up a bit more on the post to cover the top high angle. This would turn your post leg on an angle where the shin of the pad is directly square with the shooter and leaves my stick free for attempting to stop cross crease passes. This also causes my chest to not face the shooter and instead almost be parallel with the goal line. All of this combined makes me react less to shots as I know I have the angle covered and 99.5% of the time I will stop it. While I know you would stop this shot 99.5% of the time as well, that little bit of reaction is what I believe put this puck in.
  • Again, remember you can play this differently. I don't believe people should fall in line with what everyone says to do and they should do what they find is comfortable, these are merely my thoughts.

XCKVXSi.png

2nd goal: I am assuming you just weren't ready for a shot, it happens and I am not going to break that one down.

@0:48 you did the half butterfly down early thing again I mentioned above. This one was almost a VH and I will fully admit I go down on RVH early a lot, but this angle didn't look like that is what you were trying to do. Again you are good enough to make the reaction save.

3rd goal: You figured it out already.

@1:18 again the half butterfly down early. Were you nervous this game?

@1:22 see above comment! But, I'd probably have gone RVH here, but your chest didn't seem lined up with the shot and at that angle it didn't seem like you should cover the top post in a full RVH like I mentioned above. I think the correct play here would've been a butterfly, but you have to watch out with your hands because that was a BIG hole they almost sneaked it through. Maybe I am wrong in this those and you were trying to get it with your blocker and just missed?

kxopYC1.png

4th goal: It was a good tip that got you into transition, I believe a RVH would've allowed you to not move at all but you again already pointed out what was wrong here.

5th goal: Not going to comment on that one, not sure you could do anything.

Like you said this wasn't a good game. But you know that and hopefully you moved on. I will have to catch up on the other videos later tonight or tomorrow. I just don't want to spoil the outcome yet haha.

8 hours ago, Hills said:

Sorry this has taken me a while to comment on. I've been busy lately and haven't had time to. Thank you for adding in the slow-motion on the goals! It saves me from having to go through it slower haha.

Firstly the glove edit was hilarious.

@0.12 Is there a reason you dropped a bit early there? Sometimes I will drop early against good shooters when I know they can possibly slide it under me with a quick shot or I am lacking confidence in the play (happens a lot on players skating cross ice with traffic or with lots of speed). But this leaves me immobile and is a bad habit that I am trying to break. You ended up making a good save on it.

1st goal: I know what you were trying to do, and that was a bad bounce off the cuff... but I am going to say a few things to watch out for. This will probably come with more experience or when you become older and lazier like I do! It can be difficult making yourself not react when you know you have an angle covered 100%, which you very closely have in this frame. I am going to make a few points about it and what I might have done differently. I also remember that this is a game situation and things to work out always as planned an it might have just been a symptom of the play. Front angles are always tough because you can't see the play develop or have non-distorted view of the angle.

• You seem perfectly square to the puck with your chest, which is good (but I wouldn't have played it this way and I'll explain below).
  • Your chest his good and high, seriously you do a very good job of this here.
  • Your pads seal the 5-hole pretty well so there isn't a huge gap, but I'd be weary of pucks sliding underneath.
  • I am going to assume the stick is trailing to cut off a possible back door pass (I am assuming as that is what I do in these plays).
  • Your skate is on the post, causing you further out of the crease than how I'd play this. For this play I'd personally try push into a RVH and have a glove side post lean which would push your shoulder and head up a bit more on the post to cover the top high angle. This would turn your post leg on an angle where the shin of the pad is directly square with the shooter and leaves my stick free for attempting to stop cross crease passes. This also causes my chest to not face the shooter and instead almost be parallel with the goal line. All of this combined makes me react less to shots as I know I have the angle covered and 99.5% of the time I will stop it. While I know you would stop this shot 99.5% of the time as well, that little bit of reaction is what I believe put this puck in.
  • Again, remember you can play this differently. I don't believe people should fall in line with what everyone says to do and they should do what they find is comfortable, these are merely my thoughts.

XCKVXSi.png

2nd goal: I am assuming you just weren't ready for a shot, it happens and I am not going to break that one down.

@0:48 you did the half butterfly down early thing again I mentioned above. This one was almost a VH and I will fully admit I go down on RVH early a lot, but this angle didn't look like that is what you were trying to do. Again you are good enough to make the reaction save.

3rd goal: You figured it out already.

@1:18 again the half butterfly down early. Were you nervous this game?

@1:22 see above comment! But, I'd probably have gone RVH here, but your chest didn't seem lined up with the shot and at that angle it didn't seem like you should cover the top post in a full RVH like I mentioned above. I think the correct play here would've been a butterfly, but you have to watch out with your hands because that was a BIG hole they almost sneaked it through. Maybe I am wrong in this those and you were trying to get it with your blocker and just missed?

kxopYC1.png

4th goal: It was a good tip that got you into transition, I believe a RVH would've allowed you to not move at all but you again already pointed out what was wrong here.

5th goal: Not going to comment on that one, not sure you could do anything.

Like you said this wasn't a good game. But you know that and hopefully you moved on. I will have to catch up on the other videos later tonight or tomorrow. I just don't want to spoil the outcome yet haha.

I think I was just a bit rusty, honestly. I had only practiced once that week (as opposed to 3 times, which is how often I'm usually on the ice before I play my next game) and didn't really have time to iron out some things like I normally would have.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:50 PM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score: 3-1 Win
This was our first of two games for the day.

Goal Analysis:
1) I tried to stop the puck with my paddle down, but it hit the nob/shaft of my stick and went right to the Cow. Valley player, who passed the puck and put it under me when I tried to make a sprawling save.

I played decent in this game, honestly. That first goal was my fault, though, as I should've had better control of the initial shot. The paddle-down probably wasn't the best option for it, either.

Final Score: 7-2 Win
This was our second game of the day, and the tournament listing didn't have Nanaimo's team number, so that's why there's a question-mark beside the C.

Goal Analysis:
1) The Nanaimo player dumped the puck in and the puck took a funny hop off the boards, came right back to him, and he put it under my arm. I could've been out a little further— the puck got a piece of my chest protector before going in.

2) I went out to play the puck, but there was nobody to pass to and the Nanaimo. Valley player got ahead of my defenceman, and I tried to leave the puck for my defenceman, who bobbled it. The Nanaimo player then got the puck and walked in and took a shot on me when I was pretty out of position. I didn't cover my right-side at all, I basically just gave him an entire net to shoot at, and he scored.

I didn't play particularily bad in this game, but I didn't have to really do much. I've got to be a little quicker about my decisions when I play the puck, because sometimes I take a bit too long to move it.

In both games, I think I did a better job of keeping my glove in control, so that's always a plus. I also think I did a better job down low, keeping my butterfly and stick in the right place.

For the 1st game... even if it was a play you made a mistake on 3 of your teammates were totally useless there.

2nd game: nothing to really comment besides that number 6 on their team needs to chill out and not dig after the whistle. The 2nd goal was a nice shot.

On 3/20/2017 at 6:53 PM, JoelTheGoalie said:

Final Score:
8-1 Win

This was our first game of the day.

I can't really give a goal analysis because my mom missed the goal, and it's hard to describe without a visual...
I had maybe 7 shots in this game, so not a ton of work.

Final Score:
8-0 Win

This was our second game of the day, and my third full-game shutout of the season (I've had probably 5 or 6 shutouts in games where I haven't played the entire thing due to goalie switching and what not).

I played pretty good in this game, needless to say, but my team played a very solid defensive game and mostly boxed Victoria out. This Victoria team had only allowed 7 goals in 4 games prior to playing us (they have a good goalie and defense), but we tore them apart.

Final Score:
3-2 Loss

This was our 3rd game of the day and my final game of minor hockey.

Goal Analysis:
1) I was too far back in my net and I was kind of leaning back, giving him lots of net to shoot at.
2) Again, same thing as the previous goal. I was basically on my goal-line and I dropped down onto my right knee while leaving my left leg up rather than doing a full butterfly. I gave him far too much space to shoot.
3) I almost had this one, honestly, but I should've gone for a butterfly instead of a paddle-down, because he scored right between the wickets, which were still open to shoot at when I was going down.

The scheduling in this tournament was really not well thought out. Saanich C3 only had to play one game prior to playing us, while we had to play two prior to playing them. That wasn't really fair to us, but I think we did decently, considering the circumstances. I was tired and my teammates were tired, and we couldn't contain their top player (#9) very well. We were down 3-0 after 2 period, but we mustered up some energy and made it 3-2, however, we couldn't complete the comeback.

I would've liked to have won my final minor hockey game, but at least the team can say we gave it our all, and we won pretty much everything else we could have. 

I got an award for "Most Outstanding Goaltender" of the tournament, which was a decent way to end the season, but I would trade that for a win any day. I could've played much better in this game and maybe we would've come up with a different result, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm definitely going to miss minor hockey and many of the people I have played with, but I doubt this will be the last time I ever play organized hockey. I still have ice sessions with the Hockey Academy at my school for the next couple of months, so I won't be completely done playing, at least.

Overall, I had a really good year, only losing 4 games and winning 20+ (not sure of the exact number, but it's at least 20, just based on tournaments + VIAHA league play), and the most goals I allowed in a game was 5. Having the community help point out some flaws, I was able to improve my game and stay consistent throughout the season.

I think it gave me an advantage over other goaltenders, and I'd like to thank you for helping me along in this journey... it's been a good run so far.

This is probably not the last you will see of me, but I can say that I probably won't be posting anymore game footage for at least a year and a half.

I don't plan on playing Juvenile, but I might do stick-and-puck or drop-in every now and again, and I do want to play Beer League once I'm 19 (next year).

Can't say much about game 1 & 2. You didn't have a lot of work but you made the saves.

3rd: 1st goal: there player had a clear path for a shot in a very dangerous spot. Perhaps you could've been more aggressive but that was clearly a team breakdown as well.
2nd goal: Again... same guy all alone again, not your fault at all.
3rd: Again your D makes an awful play and they come in alone. You can only cover so much of the net and sometimes you get beat while you are trying to take away other areas.

3 games in one day is tough, I've been there this week and it takes a toll on your team. You REALLY have to battle with them and fight it off to even come close to winning. You did well and frankly deserve the award, while you are being humble and a good teammate I think it was clear your were too good for this division/league and you should come to take pride in that accomplishment.

Why don't you want to play Juvenile? You could also probably sign up for Beer League before you are 19 (a lot of people do), they usually don't check your birth date or anything so if you want to play sooner than a year and a half you could. I suggest you get a GoPro (or a cheaper alternative) so we can continue to watch your games!

Thank you for posting and I think it is safe to say you had an excellent season.

7 minutes ago, Hills said:

Can't say much about game 1 & 2. You didn't have a lot of work but you made the saves.

3rd: 1st goal: there player had a clear path for a shot in a very dangerous spot. Perhaps you could've been more aggressive but that was clearly a team breakdown as well.
2nd goal: Again... same guy all alone again, not your fault at all.
3rd: Again your D makes an awful play and they come in alone. You can only cover so much of the net and sometimes you get beat while you are trying to take away other areas.

3 games in one day is tough, I've been there this week and it takes a toll on your team. You REALLY have to battle with them and fight it off to even come close to winning. You did well and frankly deserve the award, while you are being humble and a good teammate I think it was clear your were too good for this division/league and you should come to take pride in that accomplishment.

Why don't you want to play Juvenile? You could also probably sign up for Beer League before you are 19 (a lot of people do), they usually don't check your birth date or anything so if you want to play sooner than a year and a half you could. I suggest you get a GoPro (or a cheaper alternative) so we can continue to watch your games!

Thank you for posting and I think it is safe to say you had an excellent season.

A lot of people have told me that I should have been playing at a higher level (in my case, that would be Midget B), but I had one bad game and there were so many goalies trying out, so I got cut to Midget C. That Midget B team did poorly, and I think their goaltending choices were part of the problem.

I was the best goalie in my league, which is cool, but it wasn't really a challenge. If I don't have some kind of challenge, things get can get boring. I'm the same way with school, honestly.

I know some people playing Beer League and I kind of want to join them, rather than Juvenile, but I may still consider Juvenile. I may take this next year off to work and then apply for University, since I haven't quite figured out what I want to do yet, so that's why I may be off of hockey for the year.

I will definitely be looking into a GoPro and I hope to be back sometime with more videos.  I don't want to leave hockey altogether (it's a great way to meet people, have fun, and stay physically active) because I've played for so long it's hard to imagine a life without it, but we shall see what my future holds.

Thank you for providing feedback throughout the season, it's been very helpful this year... I believe that everyone who helped review my game footage has a part in my success, too.

Archived