Grant Fuhr Gear History

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone know what's up with the spray painted logos? I don't think the NHL had logo rules back then

Right around 1990 1991 when the NHL went after each company for brand right fees. Rather than pay, most just scrubbed it out. Odd time - but everyone was going it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Were most of his changes endorsement related?

I could be wrong, but I think in Making Coco it said he wore the white Harrison mask when coming back from his suspension. Could the pictured gear be from that timeframe?

Maybe D&R didn't want their name tied to all of that and asked him to cover it. Or maybe his endorsement was dropped and he was legally required.

EDIT: wow, i missed a bunch of posts when I was on lunch. MTHs explanation makes more sense

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice.  I had no idea. 

I've only noticed that gear very recently on here with old throwback posts.

It’s sad because the Old D&R gear was so nice, but after the name was sold, the new gear was as bad as the old stuff was great. LOVED my old D&R player gloves.

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It’s sad because the Old D&R gear was so nice, but after the name was sold, the new gear was as bad as the old stuff was great. LOVED my old D&R player gloves.

Were they sold and then faded away or absorbed into another company?

50 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Esposito started larger equipment,  Fuhr, et al normalised it and Snow made it cartoony!

Don’t forget Mike Richter who, according to legend, wore pads that were 15” wide at the widest point. 
But Brown in particular was producing leg pads wider and wider in the ‘90s. 

3 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Don’t forget Mike Richter who, according to legend, wore pads that were 15” wide at the widest point. 
But Brown in particular was producing leg pads wider and wider in the ‘90s. 

There were people re-stuffing their pads to be 16” wide at some points. Part of it was that leather did stretch. It’s just Richter’s came 15” wide from the factory LOL (according to legend).

The best part of the sheet foam pads made of non-stretch material was that the width was definitely not going to migrate.

Back to Fuhr: some of his pad graphics showed some gamesmanship with the inner parts being light blue to blend with the blue paint in the crease. Imagine if he played in modern gear...

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

There were people re-stuffing their pads to be 16” wide at some points. Part of it was that leather did stretch. It’s just Richter’s came 15” wide from the factory LOL (according to legend).

So you're saying that Richter was a cheater and isn't deserving of his cup in '94?

Knew it.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So you're saying that Richter was a cheater and isn't deserving of his cup in '94?

Knew it.

Not even.

He played well within the rules of the time. Kay Whitmore was trying to have a pro career and not inspecting every piece. I am thinking the 15” came at the knee roll area. 

And yes- I also think Lance Armstrong should be able to keep his TdF victories. 

36 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not even.

He played well within the rules of the time. Kay Whitmore was trying to have a pro career and not inspecting every piece. I am thinking the 15” came at the knee roll area. 

No no no. Bunny, ya gotta go along with it man. It's the Canuck way where every championship was stolen from us by an evil eastern team that cheated their way to victory.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

No no no. Bunny, ya gotta go along with it man. It's the Canuck way where every championship was stolen from us by an evil eastern team that cheated their way to victory.

So Ranger gremlins came along, shrunk MacLean’s pads, blunted his skates, and chewed holes in the twine of his trapper? 

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not even.

17878D85-8E43-4697-9527-F0E64F3E7353.jpeg.dad86a2120fbeee3b5e14f0c97a23383.jpeg

I’ve never measured his pads, but I’d imagine the widest point was at the boot break. You can see in the picture that the pad narrows as you get to the knee. I think this shape suited his stance and stand-up tendencies. 

And now since I was partly responsible for derailing the thread, here’s Grant wearing a set I surely don’t remember.

F6FD49A4-C8F4-4FF3-8549-5EEC9C3AC554.thumb.jpeg.172680bd0aecbff79d82e6dd25609977.jpeg

7 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

17878D85-8E43-4697-9527-F0E64F3E7353.jpeg.dad86a2120fbeee3b5e14f0c97a23383.jpeg

I’ve never measured his pads, but I’d imagine the widest point was at the boot break. You can see in the picture that the pad narrows as you get to the knee. I think this shape suited his stance and stand-up tendencies. 

And now since I was partly responsible for derailing the thread, here’s Grant wearing a set I surely don’t remember.

F6FD49A4-C8F4-4FF3-8549-5EEC9C3AC554.thumb.jpeg.172680bd0aecbff79d82e6dd25609977.jpeg

If he wore it, it was not for long. Notice that he is using a glove from another set. I am thinking this set may be a pro return set as in he wore them that time. This was right before the Vic brand faded into oblivion.

Straying slightly off-topic: would it not be cool to have an app/game that would take iconic goalies and show you what a set would look like on teams they never played for? Like what would Fuhr’s gear possibly looked like if he played on the North Stars? 

Archived