The lacrosse goal: ban it?

seagoal

If this is going to be a running theme of guys trying the move, I think the NHL does need to step in and ban the lacrosse move. Originally I didn't care, but if more and more players start trying this move, it can look silly when not executed. 

You can't have guys around the league trying it all the time (if it gets to that point), so you need to address it now, unfortuntely. 

I like the move and appreciate the skill level behind it no doubt, but to me it's looking like a showboating 10pm drop-in scrimmage, not a moment of NHL hockey. 

I could be wrong though. Just my personal opinion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

If this is going to be a running theme of guys trying the move, I think the NHL does need to step in and ban the lacrosse move. Originally I didn't care, but if more and more players start trying this move, it can look silly when not executed. 

You can't have guys around the league trying it all the time (if it gets to that point), so you need to address it now, unfortuntely. 

I like the move and appreciate the skill level behind it no doubt, but to me it's looking like a showboating 10pm drop-in scrimmage, not a moment of NHL hockey. 

I could be wrong though. Just my personal opinion. 

I think those are totally fair points.

It's already a thing.  It's on every highlight reel on every TV channel and every Youtube channel and it will continue to grow in popularity and regularity. 

I think it's inevitable we will start to see it from out front too, say in the crease.  It won't be limited to behind the goal soon.  The amount of time the puck will be on blades off the ice will increase and the amount of distance the skaters will travel with it will increase, too.

It's celebrated now because it's new in the NHL but once the novelty fades I hope the hockey media and NHL admins see it as opening a door they in fact want to stay closed.

Edited by seagoal

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

It's celebrated now because it's new in the NHL but once the novelty fades I hope the hockey media and NHL admins see it as opening a door they in fact want to stay closed.

If they do remove it, it won't be for a few years and that's after the move becomes super stale and has a high amount of success.

I.E.: Spin-o-rama's in the shootout.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If they do remove it, it won't be for a few years and that's after the move becomes super stale and has a high amount of success.

I.E.: Spin-o-rama's in the shootout.

Ha, remember those in hockey video games?  I think the Super Nintendo one had the button for it at the top right trigger button.  I remember just skating up the middle of the ice through the neutral zone spamming the button having my guy look like this

giphy.gif

This was rare

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, remember those in hockey video games?  I think the Super Nintendo one had the button for it at the top right trigger button.  I remember just skating up the middle of the ice through the neutral zone spamming the button having my guy look like this

It was all about the NHL '94. Skate behind the net and out front again and shoot.

95% guarantee goal.

Won so many Stanley Cups.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It was all about the NHL '94. Skate behind the net and out front again and shoot.

95% guarantee goal.

Won so many Stanley Cups.

I for sure remember that one.

I forget what year it was, there was a glitch where slap shots from the center line would go in all the time.

I think the safety issues are overblown.  Goalies get hit in the face during games all the time even when these goals aren't an issue.

These are also relatively easy to defend.  Goalies: Stand the F up.  Done.

And the example you gave is an even easier one.  Stick check him, either up or down.  He can't maintain control of the puck.

I think it's kind of cool, but I'd also be surprised if there are many more of these, simply because everyone is going to get wise to it.

Just now, jeff da goalie said:

I think the safety issues are overblown.  Goalies get hit in the face during games all the time even when these goals aren't an issue.

These are also relatively easy to defend.  Goalies: Stand the F up.  Done.

And the example you gave is an even easier one.  Stick check him, either up or down.  He can't maintain control of the puck.

I think it's kind of cool, but I'd also be surprised if there are many more of these, simply because everyone is going to get wise to it.

Woah woah woah.

What are you doing? This is now a retro hockey video game thread.

C'mon now.

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

Pardon the interruption of retro hockey games, but, on topic:

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-stopping-andrei-svechnikov-lacrosse-style-goals/c-312825572

Great article. I don't get the idea that us goalies must change too much for this lacrosse style goal. Just be aware of the possibility and keep doing what you're doing. 

I still think there should be a shoot out/penalty shot line added to the layout. It could be 8ft wide and placed 4ft from the blue paint or somewhere within or beyond 

Wave off if crossed. 

And ban the lacrosse goal. 

Edited by Scythe

More Wow. More distance traveled.  More time with posession off the ice. More unstoppable.   More holy crap that's amazing.   More reason to ban?

the bend he gets on his stick as he does this is amazing.  This here is some serious skill, folks.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

I’m guessing this thread is one of the only places banning this is even being considered. Seriously, don’t allow the goal and this won’t be a problem. It’s a skill using your stick on the puck and it’s below the crossbar. Figure out how to stop it. We’re living in an era when goaltending and offense are at extreme levels. The defending in our era sucks. Maybe something like this will actually force players to use body contact on plays around the goal instead of reaching for the puck with their stick or trying to block shots. 

Edited by WillyGrips13

30 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I’m guessing this thread is one of the only places banning this is even being considered. Seriously, don’t allow the goal and this won’t be a problem. It’s a skill using your stick on the puck and it’s below the crossbar. Figure out how to stop it. We’re living in an era when goaltending and offense are at extreme levels. The defending in our era sucks. Maybe something like this will actually force players to use body contact on plays around the goal instead of reaching for the puck with their stick or trying to block shots. 

Of course our fearless leader wants to rid body contact around the goal.

The guy who likes to use the Michigan only gets away with it when I am down; if I am standing and fully sealing the post, he doesn’t even attempt it. 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Probably.  If I had Tim and Sid's email address, I'd email them to see what they think about my argument.  I emailed The Hockey Guy, no response yet. 

For the record, I don't actually care about this, as in really-eally care.  I just enjoy discussing things, making/countering arguments, bouncing ideas off, etc.

That said, my argument has yet to be refuted so I am still convinced it's valid. 

:)

I haven't read the whole thread but I would think this lends itself to the overuse of RVH.  If this was the older days you would be on your feet and go post to post covering that upper part of the net.  But because so many guys are down so quick, this keeps happening.

And until someone consistently stops it guys will keep trying it.  I do wanna see the day a guy tries and gets blown up by a d-man

7 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I haven't read the whole thread but I would think this lends itself to the overuse of RVH.  If this was the older days you would be on your feet and go post to post covering that upper part of the net.  But because so many guys are down so quick, this keeps happening.

And until someone consistently stops it guys will keep trying it.  I do wanna see the day a guy tries and gets blown up by a d-man

Defencemen need to do a better job of reading when some idiot is attempting this, so they can get behind the net and send them into next week.

10 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I forget what goalie it was, but I linked an NHL.com article on this thread where a they discussed this goal.  The point of just staying on your feet came up and whoever this goalie was shot that down saying that then your just training the shooters to now fake a lacrosse goal and then just do some version of a wrap around slam dunk at your feet, between the skates, far side post, etc.  As of now, the lacrosse goal is happening too infrequently to start staying on your feet, opening yourself up to more likely shot choices.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

In fairness to the defence and goalie on that one, he pulled it off to perfection and executed the move really quickly. I don't think there's anyway you'd 'expect' him to do what he did there. It came out of nowhere. 

Yeah, in hindsight the goalie would have loved to go full stand up on that play, but in the moment he played it as best he could (I thought the goalie's movement was great on that play and got across pretty fast) and still got beat.

Edited by creasecollector

15 hours ago, seagoal said:

I forget what goalie it was, but I linked an NHL.com article on this thread where a they discussed this goal.  The point of just staying on your feet came up and whoever this goalie was shot that down saying that then your just training the shooters to now fake a lacrosse goal and then just do some version of a wrap around slam dunk at your feet, between the skates, far side post, etc.  As of now, the lacrosse goal is happening too infrequently to start staying on your feet, opening yourself up to more likely shot choices.

I believe that was Rittich and the Flames goalie coach.

Coach is right though. Just because this has become the flavour of the day doesn't mean that the tried, tested, and true wrap around on the ice isn't more dangerous and faster.

It really comes down to defending a low chance play vs a higher chance play. I guarantee that the first goalie that gets faked out by this will be torn apart for not defending correctly.