Goalie Coach for Rec League

breaklouis35

Hi, I'm new to the forums and have been strowling on here for the better of a year to get some insight on certain topics.

I've been playing for 25 years at this point and just last year I finally decided to join a rec league where I live.

Long story short, last year, I did okay, and this year I'd like to do better, unfortunately, I can't control who my team is.

So I was wondering, does anyone have a goalie coach that they go to maybe once or twice a week to work on stuff? I haven't had a goalie coach in about 12 years or so. I remember when I was younger I used to go to stick and puck and work with a goalie coach.

The rink I play at is under new management and it's hard to get a hold of anyone there. I know they have a junior team that plays there and they have a goalie coach, but he doesn't have an e-mail or phone number listed on their website. 

Is this ridiculous? I know it's just rec league, but I enjoy trying to improve myself.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

I don't think its ridiculous at all.  There is nothing wrong with self improvement.  Maybe try going down to the rink during normal business hours to see if you can get ahold of someone from management instead of having to always deal with whoever the overnight person is that is there while you're there for your games.

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't think its ridiculous at all.  There is nothing wrong with self improvement...

Couldn't agree more with the comment above. Those who are the best at anything will always know, whatever they are doing it is always a work in progress and will always strive to be better. 

Also agree with SBR about getting hold of management - even if their goalie coach doesn't have time he may know someone who does.   If you are so inclined, this forum has a video review section - if you can/want to post, you can get some good respectful feedback form these guys.

Good luck

@breaklouis35 thanks for signing in and posted.  Welcome aboard.

I think it's awesome you want to improve and work on stuff.  Most rec league goalies don't actually practice or get coaching and it is difficult to improve that way.  I think goalies get stuck in ruts of just "stopping the puck" and leave it at that.  It's still fun and they are having a good time, so good on them.

I share your attention to detail and wanting to improve.  I've played now for over 25 years and have just recently started to want to improve and work on things and get coaching.  Honestly, just hanging out on here helps somewhat because it's great to have other enthusiastic goalies to chat with and bounce ideas off of (although if I'm being honest, being on here mostly just makes me want more gear, ha).  So yeah, you need some sort of outside help to get better and work on things.  Being on here helps, stick n pucks with friends where you coordinate and work on things helps. playing pick-up/shinny helps where you can not worry too much about goals and focus more on technique/save selections/strategies/etc., and certainly getting a coach or going to a goalie camp helps a ton.

I attended my first goalie camp this past summer and it was awesome.  I didn't learn anything new really because it was a lot of basics but I did get to focus on the nitty gritty details of technique and biomechanics, which was so helpful. Taking that camp as a foundation and leveling up to private coaching would be the next step for me and then I could customize the sessions to my game so that I can learn new things. Hopefully I'll do this next year sometime.

Anyway, I think your idea is great and encourage you make it happen any way you can. You should be able track down that coach by calling the rink or league organizer or someone who works for the junior team.  I'd let him know you have been trying to get a hold of him and encourage him to make himself more visible.

Thank you all for responding. I was quite nervous posting, as I never posted before on a forum, but I saw a lot of positive things on here and decided the time was right. And it is continuing. 

@Mroy31 I am located in York, PA, USA region. Not much going on out here. Hershey, PA seems to have a pretty good scene, since the Hershey Bears of the AHL play there, but it's a bit of a hike for me to get there.

@seagoal Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, all the times they have here for stick and puck/open hockey are during the hours I am at work, so it's virtually impossible for me to get to the rink. I understand about being on here helps, but I really need more ice time. I will definitely look into contacting the junior team to see if I can get a hold of someone. I just don't want to feel like I am letting my team down all the time. Even though they say things like, "oh it's not your fault/we really left you out to dry there/thanks for making those saves/etc." It's frustrating, I want to be able to do my best, I know it's just rec/beer league, but I like to improve no matter what, whether it was playing AAA when I was younger or subbing for a different team.

7 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

@seagoal Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, all the times they have here for stick and puck/open hockey are during the hours I am at work, so it's virtually impossible for me to get to the rink. I understand about being on here helps, but I really need more ice time. I will definitely look into contacting the junior team to see if I can get a hold of someone. I just don't want to feel like I am letting my team down all the time. Even though they say things like, "oh it's not your fault/we really left you out to dry there/thanks for making those saves/etc." It's frustrating, I want to be able to do my best, I know it's just rec/beer league, but I like to improve no matter what, whether it was playing AAA when I was younger or subbing for a different team.

I completely understand.

I know you've played for 25 years...how old are you?

Outside of goalie mechanics, how's your mental/emotional game?  Are you feeling down or mentally struggling with negativity too?  This is a constant struggle for goalies and this stuff, too, takes practice and work and coaching. 

In my opinion and experience, playing goalie well is way easier than thinking and feeling positive.  That stuff is very difficult and obviously affects goaltending.

@breaklouis35 I’ll join the chorus and say, “Yes, go for it.” I go to a local hockey school for private lessons approximately once a month. Its the best possible ice time investment I make. First, its a great workout and in a typical lesson you’ll get tons of quality shots (compared to pickup or the breakaway-fest known as stick-n-puck...) and second, you can get live feedback and help with technique. Even if you just walk away from a lesson with one thing to work on until your next session, it will be worth it. When I go to stick-n-puck now, I barely spend any time taking shots - I’m working on footwork, sliding, etc. now that I have learned a bunch of drills from the lessons.

3 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

When I go to stick-n-puck now, I barely spend any time taking shots - I’m working on footwork, sliding, etc. now that I have learned a bunch of drills from the lessons.

Ha, same here.

I'm constantly saying NO at stick n pucks:   "NO, I am not interested in head shots, 3 on 0 drills,  3,000 breakaways, and watching you deke yourself into oblivion. I'm working on the minutiae of pointing my toes and turning my hips, thanks though."

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I completely understand.

I know you've played for 25 years...how old are you?

Outside of goalie mechanics, how's your mental/emotional game?  Are you feeling down or mentally struggling with negativity too?  This is a constant struggle for goalies and this stuff, too, takes practice and work and coaching. 

In my opinion and experience, playing goalie well is way easier than thinking and feeling positive.  That stuff is very difficult and obviously affects goaltending.

I'm 30, started when I was 5 as a goalie and never looked back. 

I would say my mental/emotional game is fair, not great. If a goal gets past me that I probably should've had, I get a bit angry with myself for two seconds and then just look forward to the next shot. If something gets past me where I can't control the circumstances, (guys not clearing the puck out or the guy just has a laser beam shot and can pick corners), I usually just shrug my shoulders and continue on with it.

I think I'm more concerned with letting my guys down. If that makes sense. 

18 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

I'm 30, started when I was 5 as a goalie and never looked back. 

I would say my mental/emotional game is fair, not great. If a goal gets past me that I probably should've had, I get a bit angry with myself for two seconds and then just look forward to the next shot. If something gets past me where I can't control the circumstances, (guys not clearing the puck out or the guy just has a laser beam shot and can pick corners), I usually just shrug my shoulders and continue on with it.

I think I'm more concerned with letting my guys down. If that makes sense. 

Yep, totally does.

Social responsibility and empathy.  Good traits for us goalies.

4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

@breaklouis35 What region are you in?  Maybe somebody knows a local/nearby option. 

Eg. I know there are a few options in Southern Ontario, depending on your budget and travel options.  There's a weekly drop-in school around Brampton and a couple other private options.  

Where's the weekly drop in around Brampton?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

Where's the weekly drop in around Brampton?

Thanks!

So I was going off of my bad memory, but I wasn't too far off.  Drop-in isn't quite the term I should have used maybe, but they run weekly sessions, private, semi-private etc.  Brick By Brick Goaltending is the place, it's in North York so not quite Brampton but not as far off as I was worried after I had to look it up :P.  https://www.brickbybrickgoaltending.com/ 

*Disclaimer* I haven't been there yet, but only because I'm still currently on the shelf.  $75 for the hour long weekly clinic, $124.30 for an hour of semi-private.  Looks like worth a shot at least if it's not a huge hike.

16 hours ago, seagoal said:

@breaklouis35

man, if I were you, I'd grab my gear, pack my car up and roadtrip to see the Goalie Dr.  Have you seen his Youtube videos?  If not, check him out.   I've watched his videos for years now and have thought about flying to see him several times.

image.png.ff95bc099e00bc3e5f6e9372cd4f13a5.png

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+goalie+dr

Whoa, cool! He's not that far from where I live and in the next year or so, my wife and I are planning to move into that area. I will definitely look him up. Thanks!

And thanks to anyone who responded, I appreciate it. I thought I would've been ridiculed, glad I wasn't!

No problem, I'm glad to help.  It'd be awesome if you went and see him and tell us all about it.    We can watch your video that he posts and then MAYBE we will ridicule you ;)

Seriously though, if you want to see some ridicule mastery, watch this:

Archived