CCM/Reebok plastic palm quality

goalieworkshop

I know there are a few entities making some money manufacturing new thumb moulds. It has become a cottage industry, as Factory Mad replaces these all the time and Kustom Composites makes a composite version. As far as the plastic goes, it is the matter of formulation as to why these don’t last. But too much has been invested and they (CCM/Reebok) won’t change it. 

I had Factory Mad replace some binding on a CCM/Koho glove last summer and when Dennis opened it up the cuff was completely cracked (see picture below.) He replaced it, but his too cracked within a few months of getting it back. By no means anything to do with his materials or workmanship, I think it's just part of the design and how it's taking impacts. I don't think I've ever had issues w/ the finger piece breaking, just the thumb/cuff. FWIW, the glove is a 580 break w/ a Pro Palm. 

240651378_ShatteredThumbMold.thumb.jpg.2a3e35ae83cce8b5dd5c757a7b0d6a6e.jpg

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I had Factory Mad replace some binding on a CCM/Koho glove last summer and when Dennis opened it up the cuff was completely cracked (see picture below.) He replaced it, but his too cracked within a few months of getting it back. By no means anything to do with his materials or workmanship, I think it's just part of the design and how it's taking impacts. I don't think I've ever had issues w/ the finger piece breaking, just the thumb/cuff. FWIW, the glove is a 580 break w/ a Pro Palm. 

240651378_ShatteredThumbMold.thumb.jpg.2a3e35ae83cce8b5dd5c757a7b0d6a6e.jpg

Wow. 

It’s surprising that Dennis’s cracked. 

Shawn Schroeder and Jason Terio both say how poor the plastics are in CCM/Reebok/Koho gloves are, but it could also be the design if Dennis’s cracked, as well. 

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Wow. 

It’s surprising that Dennis’s cracked. 

Shawn Schroeder and Jason Terio both say how poor the plastics are in CCM/Reebok/Koho gloves are, but it could also be the design if Dennis’s cracked, as well. 

I haven't taken it apart to see how bad it is... but you can definitely feel the crack through the jenpro on the cuff. Is what it is.

What are commons all these plastic palms?!

Manufacturer.

This is not anti-advertising or advertising my services.

Everything you see in the photo has been removed from the catchers produced by Reebok / CCM. As we know, CCMs bought Reebok with all their equipment series,  changed only the logo.

I decided to write about this because I have enough observers and experience to show to all my colleagues, doesn't matter at what level you play.

In order of photo:

- CCM EFLEX 2 pro
- CCM EFLEX 3 pro
- CCM Retro flex pro cl
- CCM EFLEX 860
- Reebok XLT pro practical palm
- Reebok P4 pro

All these catchers were disassembled by me.

In the second photo, CCM EFLEX 3 pro, the catcher was in almost perfect condition and used for one season.

CCM retro flex -  KHL custom , excellent condition, I re-laced a pocket and looked insight- plastic was broken.

CCM EFLEX 860, 2 - 3 seasons in game, the plate crumbled inside the trap, it is just unsafe to play. The finger plate is also broken.

Reebok XLT, my own,
disassembled after the first season, the cuff was already broken for half, after two seasons broken totally.  About the "great" practic palm, which is reinforced with the second layer of soft foam and it has a thicker cuff plate, up to 8 mm!

Reebok P4, I guess these were repaired twice before me. Soldering plates gives the same effect as homeopathy (it's means don't effective). Then somebody screwed the G10 plates, it helped, but this is an extra 150 grams (measured by myself).

In this list there are amateur models, and professional, and bespoke model.

Yes, I still haven’t repair hundreds of catchers, but there are already a couple dozen. I have not seen such disasters from other manufacturers. Of course, Bauer, Warrior and Vaughn could broke but as a rule, they do not crumble and retain their properties.

What could be causing this?

If all these plates are liquid moulded. This can be seen in the rounded edges. I understand that this is a complex technological process, but all this has been going on for about 7-8 years, has been replaced for about 6 years, when this problem was and remains? How much the top CCM catcher cost? 500 USD? Or more already? This problem persists.

Other manufacturers, like me, like many other workshops, mold plastic sheets, and even if it is slightly lowerin stability, but it does not crumble into dust!

I want to say that this brand does not have a serious drawback. Few people know about this. I want to share this information with you, and I will be grateful if you share it.

Thank you for your patience, good luck goalies!

n3rwqXKAy5Q.jpg

RufkwuO9rjI.jpg

8LpsvcRltSE.jpg

zr0vfg0M7IM.jpg

gSpOWNzi8jk.jpg

LHC5kaK0tGc.jpg

Archived