Changing break angles

Jonathon v

So I ordered a  new glove it’s an optik 2 with custom 35 degree break which is gnetik 4. I ordered this because I was having lots of issues with pop outs recently. I play high school jv hockey and the competition is kinda bad and I usually do bad and have had rebound control. Today my old teammate who’s 17 (I’m 15) invited me to a rat. He plays central states and so did 3 other guys there, and one played aaa and one player juniors. They were soooo much better than what I usually see and I think I played the best hockey of my life. I was saving everything and reading plays really well and making cross crease snags with my glove. Also the one aaa kid had a RIPPER and I caught almost  all off his shots and everyone else’s. I don’t think I had any pop outs besides maybe one. Long story short my rebound control was fantastic and I did really good, he even talked to me after and told me he wants me to come to summer ice slots with him. But since I ordered a new glove which is gnetik 4, do you guys think I won’t be able to catch fast shots as easily? I ordered it because of my issues with pop outs, and I realized it was because I just am thrown off by slower high school shots 

gnetik 4 glove and pocket even looks smaller, which brains said is because it has a deeper pocket. I was wondering if the gnetik 4 glove itself is smaller, or is it the 35 degree break that makes it look a bit smaller

50675C5F-770C-4730-8C89-7FF92BC94E44.png

On 11/10/2019 at 2:08 AM, Jonathon v said:

So I ordered a  new glove it’s an optik 2 with custom 35 degree break which is gnetik 4. I ordered this because I was having lots of issues with pop outs recently. I play high school jv hockey and the competition is kinda bad and I usually do bad and have had rebound control. Today my old teammate who’s 17 (I’m 15) invited me to a rat. He plays central states and so did 3 other guys there, and one played aaa and one player juniors. They were soooo much better than what I usually see and I think I played the best hockey of my life. I was saving everything and reading plays really well and making cross crease snags with my glove. Also the one aaa kid had a RIPPER and I caught almost  all off his shots and everyone else’s. I don’t think I had any pop outs besides maybe one. Long story short my rebound control was fantastic and I did really good, he even talked to me after and told me he wants me to come to summer ice slots with him. But since I ordered a new glove which is gnetik 4, do you guys think I won’t be able to catch fast shots as easily? I ordered it because of my issues with pop outs, and I realized it was because I just am thrown off by slower high school shots 

gnetik 4 glove and pocket even looks smaller, which brains said is because it has a deeper pocket. I was wondering if the gnetik 4 glove itself is smaller, or is it the 35 degree break that makes it look a bit smaller

50675C5F-770C-4730-8C89-7FF92BC94E44.png

Will you have to adjust some to a new break angle... YES. That's the short answer. 

Not only do you have to retrain your hand to use the "right" fingers and pressure to get good closure... but you may also need to evaluate glove positioning. Size of the actual pocket aside it will be located differently so to make that same catch with the new break angle you may need to start more fingers up or horizontal. The fact that you have an easier time tracking shots with higher level players isn't strange... your focus on the puck is likely more intense because you don't have the time to think about the 10 other things going on in your peripheral. Simply said... you stop thinking and just do.

I'm in the midst of transitioning from a CCM 580 break to a 2X Pro 60 degree break... actually doesn't feel crazy different... but it's different enough for me to be aware of it while playing right now. That said... the Bauer does suck up puck quite well but the pocket is located lower and further out from what I'm used to. I've found that going more fingers up has helped. Just lets the pocket start from a place that is closer to what I'm used to.

I'm sure the overall glove circumference is the same between the Genetik4 and the Optik2... but again... changing that break angle changes how the pocket will present itself. Thumb/finger integration is different so it allows for a different pocket. You also have the difference of closure in terms of a pancake style on the Optik2 and a more traditional finger curl on the Genetik4. Maybe skate lace pocket will help reduce pop outs for you as well?

46 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Will you have to adjust some to a new break angle... YES. That's the short answer. 

Not only do you have to retrain your hand to use the "right" fingers and pressure to get good closure... but you may also need to evaluate glove positioning. Size of the actual pocket aside it will be located differently so to make that same catch with the new break angle you may need to start more fingers up or horizontal. The fact that you have an easier time tracking shots with higher level players isn't strange... your focus on the puck is likely more intense because you don't have the time to think about the 10 other things going on in your peripheral. Simply said... you stop thinking and just do.

I'm in the midst of transitioning from a CCM 580 break to a 2X Pro 60 degree break... actually doesn't feel crazy different... but it's different enough for me to be aware of it while playing right now. That said... the Bauer does suck up puck quite well but the pocket is located lower and further out from what I'm used to. I've found that going more fingers up has helped. Just lets the pocket start from a place that is closer to what I'm used to.

I'm sure the overall glove circumference is the same between the Genetik4 and the Optik2... but again... changing that break angle changes how the pocket will present itself. Thumb/finger integration is different so it allows for a different pocket. You also have the difference of closure in terms of a pancake style on the Optik2 and a more traditional finger curl on the Genetik4. Maybe skate lace pocket will help reduce pop outs for you as well?

Thanks very much. I didn’t get skate lace but I did get a double T with a plus 1 inch pocket, I don’t think pop outs will be an issue 

Archived