Warrior G5

cwarnar

Anyone know if the g5 blocker has changed that much since the g4? Besides the coverage + aspect. 
g4 pro blockers are on clearance right now with more discount and personally I’ve never cared that much about blockers. If the G5 blockers are improved though I will just pick one of them up instead 

The biggest difference I noticed was the flatter face and that rebounds seemed hotter than my GT2 (which was really similar to the G4's we have in store).   Kirk also talks about the board presenting flatter to the shooter in the Outer Roll podcast, but I didn't listen to that until after our league had suspended play, so I haven't had the opportunity to check that out.

IMHO, if you're buying a full G5 set pop for the blocker too, but there's nothing wrong with grabbing up G4 stuff at a great price.  It was a really solid line and I doubt you'll regret it.

For you beer league guys what made you go with pro over sr?

I have been having an internal struggle whether or not to order some pads or pick up some sr stuff. My main idea of wanting to go with pro is pad longevity, spend a little bit more and get pads that will last and not break down. On the other hand after talking to some of you guys on here the general consensus is that warrior makes nice Sr level gear. If I can still take advantage of TGC presale the difference won’t be that much. 

I play two times a week mid level nothing to demanding. I have probably talked myself in and out of ordering pads for about a week. 

• Like 1

I have the G3 sr setup, been using it for 3 years, 3 times a week for beer league at a level probably similar to yours. Everything has held up well with very minimal wear.

Was going to get G5 sr stuff but when The Goal Crease had the special on recently for the custom gear I went for pro...

I currently have some Vaughn sr level stuff and have absolutely no issues with it at all and really shouldn’t be replacing my pads at all. I just wanted to be able to customize some pads and my reason is just because I can. 

Ive been in a situation in the past where I was told that I was playing too much and needed to cut back or quit altogether, so who’s to say in the future if I’ll be able to have the money to spend on new senior gear let alone the custom pro stuff. 

I've had Sr G3 stuff for 2.5 years. used 3-5x a week. Not particularly well cared for, tossed around and treated like shit. If i hadn't purchased a size too big (but it still works fine), I wouldn't have any qualms with using these until they're beaten to a pulp, and given how well everything feels besides crusty palms (which G4/G5 liners can still slot in, for quick easy refresh),I don't see any point going to pro for me personally. 

7 hours ago, Kayen said:

I've had Sr G3 stuff for 2.5 years. used 3-5x a week. Not particularly well cared for, tossed around and treated like shit. If i hadn't purchased a size too big (but it still works fine), I wouldn't have any qualms with using these until they're beaten to a pulp, and given how well everything feels besides crusty palms (which G4/G5 liners can still slot in, for quick easy refresh),I don't see any point going to pro for me personally. 

I know the pads are stiffer foams but did you find them settle at all? Shrink at all once the boot was broken in more? 

39 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I know the pads are stiffer foams but did you find them settle at all? Shrink at all once the boot was broken in more? 

No shrinkage. 

Boot on the G3 was designed to flex, almost as if it's on a hinge, so no breakdown or settling of the boots that you would've seen with older Vaughn (V5 and older) pads. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I have been having an internal struggle whether or not to order some pads or pick up some sr stuff. My main idea of wanting to go with pro is pad longevity, spend a little bit more and get pads that will last and not break down. On the other hand after talking to some of you guys on here the general consensus is that warrior makes nice Sr level gear. If I can still take advantage of TGC presale the difference won’t be that much. 

I play two times a week mid level nothing to demanding. I have probably talked myself in and out of ordering pads for about a week. 

I've bought one pair of SR level pads (Brian's Gnetik 5.0's) and was really happy with them given what I paid.  I would consider a lower level blocker, but the one place I'll never cheap out is my catch glove.  SR level gloves just feel sloppy and poorly made to me compared to their pro level counterparts.  There is a noticeable lack of padding in some, others are super stiff and take forever to break in and some just  don't feel as nice as their pro equivalent.  Of all the MFGs Warrior SR level gloves are probably the most difficult to tell SR from Pro just by putting your hand in them, but I still prefer to pay a little extra for the increased comfort and protection of the pro catch glove.

Short version of the paragraph below:  Based on my experience if you want upper end performance and are willing to replace your gear every 1-2 years, Senior stuff is fine.  If you want truly top end performance or want to keep your gear for many years, pro is worth the investment.

Based on my experience the biggest differences between pro and Sr gear are overall durability and length of life in the "sweet spot".  Break-in time on pads has never been something I worry about so for me the sweet spot starts almost immediately and I noticed that the foams on my Genetik 5.0s softened up much quicker than the SubZero3's I replaced them with.  I noticed a decrease in sliding due to the foams softening up about 14-18 months into ownership and was out of the pads within 2 years of buying them.   I went an inch shorter on my SZ3's due to getting a phenomenal deal from across the border and wanting to try a shorter pad for mobility.   Instantly I realized I'd made a mistake but couldn't afford to replace them for about 18 months.   Comparatively speaking the only issue with the Subs at that 18 month point was the lack of height on the thigh rise.  The pads still slid well and felt like they had plenty of life left.  So given a roughly equal time frame the pro pad held up significantly better than the Senior pad. 

One final point:  If you want top end performance the only way to get it is to go with pro gear.  There have been significant advances in the last couple generations of gear.  If you buy new stuff every year you may not notice it, but when I jumped from a pad built in 2015 (SZ3) to a couple 2019 builds (GT2 and EF4) the improvements in weight, strapping and overall performance were very noticeable!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I want my stuff to last over time. Pro will last a lot longer than SR level gear if you treat it right, plus the protection benefits outweigh Senior level protection all day long. It also depends on what piece of senior vs Pro gear we are talking about, brands, etc.

In Beer Leagues, depending on the skill level, guys can REALLY shoot the puck. I personally need the protection and longevity that Pro gear offers, which is why I primarily wear full Pro gear (CCM, in my case).

It also coms down to personal budgets also. I don't want another goalie to break the bank with Pro level gear, but if you can, it really is a good investment, assuming you treat year gear well and are going to be hanging onto it for a good number of years. 

So think I’m going to pull the trigger and order a set of pro pads from the guys at TGC, with their killer deal right now it’s hard to pass it up. Ill get the colors I want as well as the longevity I’m looking for.

ive been using double tees for forever now but see G5’s come standard with single tees. Are tees personal preference or is their benefit of one over the other. I’ve never used a single tee besides on a sr glove I used for a couple weeks ten years ago. Both my Simmons gloves have been double and only thing I’ve read was you can see the pucks easier in the double.

these are my narrowed down colors, fan of the retro knee roll look so leaning towards them 248C8E1F-9BD9-497D-845C-BD5E0085D873.thumb.png.5e184cdb707232f90763cc98050644a4.png8AD849F1-B1BC-40AD-86EB-712D95636ACB.thumb.png.f0d6937a67487a547f3a985033802747.png

Edited by Quadzilla32

10 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

So think I’m going to pull the trigger and order a set of pro pads from the guys at TGC, with their killer deal right now it’s hard to pass it up. Ill get the colors I want as well as the longevity I’m looking for.

ive been using double tees for forever now but see G5’s come standard with single tees. Are tees personal preference or is their benefit of one over the other. I’ve never used a single tee besides on a sr glove I used for a couple weeks ten years ago. Both my Simmons gloves have been double and only thing I’ve read was you can see the pucks easier in the double.

these are my narrowed down colors, fan of the retro knee roll look so leaning towards them 248C8E1F-9BD9-497D-845C-BD5E0085D873.thumb.png.5e184cdb707232f90763cc98050644a4.png8AD849F1-B1BC-40AD-86EB-712D95636ACB.thumb.png.f0d6937a67487a547f3a985033802747.png

You feel the puck entering the single-T better than with the double. You see the puck in the pocket better with the double versus the single. I prefer feeling the puck being caught at the expense of some visibility in the pocket.

I dig the purple palm with the black T.  I second Puckstopper on no black lace   It looks cool, but I had a glove with black lace and had several instances where I thought the puck was in there, but it wasn’t...and it ended up in the net a few of those times.  

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

What combo y’all think? I started out liking the purple T but starting to like black T with purple binding. 

2E5E6366-E705-4960-8A25-CE782F617003.png

FBF7CF2B-F92B-4544-80C7-C73579B5343C.png

7EEAA004-BB41-4698-9F6B-71430345F5AA.png

I think that I would go with the black T and the purple binding.  I am not much of a fan of the purple on the palm of the glove personally.  I would actually pick the regular graphic over the more traditional one but I think it is because I prefer having the "W" logo and I blacked out the written out "Warrior" and "R/G5" on the pads that I ordered.  Either way that retro graphic is pretty clean.

3 hours ago, sescaro said:

I dig the purple palm with the black T.  I second Puckstopper on no black lace   It looks cool, but I had a glove with black lace and had several instances where I thought the puck was in there, but it wasn’t...and it ended up in the net a few of those times.  

What did you go with? I’ve only ever used skate lace and always thought it retained pucks easier

My current glove is a double T with white nylon.  I do like skate lace for the feel and puck retention, but personally I doubt I’d use black lace again as it just seemed like a solid sheet of black every time I’d glance at it after a glove save - with or without the puck in there.  The T on that glove was also dark in color, which added to the problem.  Perhaps it’s a knock on my puck tracking!  It wasn’t like I had pucks unknowingly squirt out every game, but it was hard to forget those times when it did happen and it cost us a goal.

Now, I’ve never had white skate lace in a glove before, so if you like how white  looks with the rest of those sweet looking set-ups, perhaps that’s the best of both worlds (or perhaps someone who has can offer their thoughts)!

2 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

How are the thigh rises on warrior pads? Been reading they measure bigger than what they say, longer than other brands. I’m using a +2 right now but the 1.5 seemed pretty big. 

they have a chart go with it.   its actually smaller the 33" base is 8" vs 10" on brians and CCM , I think vaughn is on the same boat but i could care less to do the reserach.   what this means a 33" + 3  warrior ritual is the same as brians 33+1"in the thighrise.

50 minutes ago, DL42 said:

they have a chart go with it.   its actually smaller the 33" base is 8" vs 10" on brians and CCM , I think vaughn is on the same boat but i could care less to do the reserach.   what this means a 33" + 3  warrior ritual is the same as brians 33+1"in the thighrise.

So you’re saying that if you take a 33 in warrior and Brian’s that you would need to make it a +3 in warrior to equal a +1 in other manufacturers? I find that hard to believe since I’ve read several people saying the stock thigh rise is huge. 

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

So you’re saying that if you take a 33 in warrior and Brian’s that you would need to make it a +3 in warrior to equal a +1 in other manufacturers? I find that hard to believe since I’ve read several people saying the stock thigh rise is huge. 

yes go look at the sizing chart.  these are also the same people that say the g3 are super stiff when they touched it for 5 min or tried it once while the other caamp that used it says they are too soft.  shannon szabados uses a 33 +3 warrior.  its just perceived as being big.  always go with ur raw measurement preference not the stock size.  

20 minutes ago, DL42 said:

yes go look at the sizing chart.  these are also the same people that say the g3 are super stiff when they touched it for 5 min or tried it once while the other caamp that used it says they are too soft.  shannon szabados uses a 33 +3 warrior.  its just perceived as being big.  always go with ur raw measurement preference not the stock size.  

Damn, ok thank you for the heads up I’ll have to find the sizing chart. You know where I could find it or what is called so I can plug it into the google machine?