Warrior G5

cwarnar

4 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Damn, ok thank you for the heads up I’ll have to find the sizing chart. You know where I could find it or what is called so I can plug it into the google machine? 

ccm is on the website as pdf in the catalog,  warrior has a sizing chart everywhere in every retailer,  brians is on their website,  vaughn is the only one where i don't know but i have seen an old one, at this point i really dont care about vaughn.  pete smith guys since 2003

18 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

So you’re saying that if you take a 33 in warrior and Brian’s that you would need to make it a +3 in warrior to equal a +1 in other manufacturers? I find that hard to believe since I’ve read several people saying the stock thigh rise is huge. 

I'm not trying to say DL42 talks out his ass more than Ace Ventura, but...  Here are pics comparing the thigh rises on my Warrior G5's and my Eflex 4's.  Both sets were ordered at 35+2.  Before taking someone's advice it's important to make sure they've got their facts straight.

IMG_20200405_130648.jpg

IMG_20200405_130702.jpg

IMG_20200405_130714.jpg

34 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm not trying to say DL42 talks out his ass more than Ace Ventura, but...  Here are pics comparing the thigh rises on my Warrior G5's and my Eflex 4's.  Both sets were ordered at 35+2.  Before taking someone's advice it's important to make sure they've got their facts straight.

Same size thigh rise as my Vaughn SLR 36+2 pads.  Almost 9.5"

thats not how u measure thighrise measurement, its from the midde of the knee not top of knee block as they can be difference size..  yoiu can do that if u figuring out the same brand and model and thats about it.  otherwise doesnt tell u crap, and yes i know brian listed that , but it doesnt mean crap.  

5 minutes ago, DL42 said:

thats not how u measure thighrise measurement, its from the midde of the knee not top of knee block as they can be difference size..  yoiu can do that if u figuring out the same brand and model and thats about it.  otherwise doesnt tell u crap, and yes i know brian listed that , but it doesnt mean crap.  

Ccm measures from the top of the knee

image.thumb.jpeg.018579d899586272ed12136d572312d3.jpeg

its middle of the knee,  every company measures the thighrise  from the knee cap up otherwise there would be a gap.   That how they measure for  custom pads and it hasnt changes in 30 years.   otherwise u r going to have a floating starting point for the thighrise sometime, 3 " higher and sometime less.  

this is how u r pads back in the day u give them ur skate size or scoop size, ankle to knee or floor to knee ,  and thighrise perference and send it in not stock sizes. but eventually kids now think thats how pads are ordered so the mfg follow suits probably based on getting the big box retailer to front load custom stock inventory.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, Puckstopper said:

Would you mind taking measurements on the front of the pad, running the tape measure along the surface?  From the center of the knee section up to the top binding.
I have found any kind of pre-curved pad can skew the measurement an inch or two.
The Warriors are a bit tougher to measure for sizing as the knee block and padded leg channel make it hard to get a true measurement unless you're going off the face of the pad.

Really, this is more indulging my curiosity as my friends group has found that Warriors fit really weird (paging @ZeroGravitas - he wears a 33+1.5 CCM and a 35+2? Warrior).

On 4/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, DL42 said:

its middle of the knee,  every company measures the thighrise  from the knee cap up otherwise there would be a gap.   That how they measure for  custom pads and it hasnt changes in 30 years.   otherwise u r going to have a floating starting point for the thighrise sometime, 3 " higher and sometime less.  

this is how u r pads back in the day u give them ur skate size or scoop size, ankle to knee or floor to knee ,  and thighrise perference and send it in not stock sizes. but eventually kids now think thats how pads are ordered so the mfg follow suits probably based on getting the big box retailer to front load custom stock inventory.

This is how I sized pads back in 2006 working retail.  I'm not saying this is the correct way, but we rarely got returns because we screwed up sizing.

I would get an ankle to knee measurement (after offering up a prayer that people on the other side of the line measured correctly), then run to the floor and measure a couple pads from the mid knee down to the boot break.  Then we'd talk thigh rise. Total "top of pad" runs from the center of the middle knee roll straight up.  Vaughns traditionally had the shortest stock thigh rise, Koho had the largest.  We'd get occasional calls from guys in Sweden wanting to order TPS pads with a + 4 thigh rise because they all loved Henrik Lundqvist.

9 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Here I’ll settle this
Theres no way ccm and warrior measure from the same spot with that kind of difference in thigh rise height

According to their sizing charts, +0 on a 35" Warrior is 8.5" and a +0 on a 35" CCM is 11".  Both companies claim to measure from above the knee.  We can start there...

31 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Really, this is more indulging my curiosity as my friends group has found that Warriors fit really weird (paging @ZeroGravitas - he wears a 33+1.5 CCM and a 35+2? Warrior).

(...)

According to their sizing charts, +0 on a 35" Warrior is 8.5" and a +0 on a 35" CCM is 11".  Both companies claim to measure from above the knee.  We can start there...

I wear a 33+1.5 CCM and used to wear a 35+1 Warrior RGT1 and RGT2.

20200406_172051_RZS.thumb.jpg.24583f13d81ca79b63c3532a0e6325da.jpg

This is the measurement of the 33+1.5 CCM EFlex 4 from the center of the knee cradle to the end of the pad. It is just under 11.5 inches, which is what the CCM fit guide says.

I no longer have a Warrior pad to measure.

I dont have an objective answer for you. But I had 34 +1 ccms (my knee hit center of the cradle) and 35 +1.5 (knee seems to land high in the cradle). My warriors definitely seem to have a taller thigh rise. So I'm not sure where the idea that they are much shorter comes from. Doesnt seem to be the case for me at all.

Anyone try out the X-stiff option on the G5’s. I know puckstopper did a small review on them and said it was pretty stiff over stock. Looking at the customizer there are two options medium and X-stiff, I take it medium is their stock stiffness? I just don’t know why you would need a super stiff thigh rise, I would think the whole pad would be stiff.  

I’ve read mixed reviews from G# are really stiff too they aren’t stiff at all (when compared to stiff pads). I was under the impression hypercomb ran over the entire face of the pad is X-stiff just extra foams or more hypercomb? I’m trying to avoid super straight rigid pads but I also want to slow the breakdown of the pads since I plan to use them for some time. 

right now my double break Simmons thigh rises are pretty soft, even over time with stock stiffness will the warriors always be more rigid in the thigh rise?

Edited by Quadzilla32

Maybe @Kirk3190 can tell us how the construction differs between the regular and X-stiff pads.  Unfortunately I ordered my pads blind and the store I work for closed down before receiving the stock pads so I can't compare X-stiff to regular stiffness.  I would expect that even at regular stiffness the stock G5's would hold up better than a double break pad. 

Medium Stiffness: This is our stock stiffness.  Hypercomp reinforcements throughout the thigh rise section of the core.  

X-Stiff:  This is a stiffness option we've offered to our European pros for a number of years.  Yes, it makes the thigh rise stiffer than stock but in my personal opinion it's really more of a longevity stiffness.  EU pros skate 6-7 days a week and put their gear through very demanding conditions.  They require a core built to last for a long season and heavy use.  We're simply bringing this option to retail custom now because there is an increasing interest from elite level goalies in North America who want a stiffer pad that will maintain that stiffness for longer periods of time. (This also has HyperComp in the same areas as Medium).  The main difference is the layup of HD foams.

8 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

Medium Stiffness: This is our stock stiffness.  Hypercomp reinforcements throughout the thigh rise section of the core.  

X-Stiff:  This is a stiffness option we've offered to our European pros for a number of years.  Yes, it makes the thigh rise stiffer than stock but in my personal opinion it's really more of a longevity stiffness.  EU pros skate 6-7 days a week and put their gear through very demanding conditions.  They require a core built to last for a long season and heavy use.  We're simply bringing this option to retail custom now because there is an increasing interest from elite level goalies in North America who want a stiffer pad that will maintain that stiffness for longer periods of time. (This also has HyperComp in the same areas as Medium).  The main difference is the layup of HD foams.

Kirk,

thank you for the clarification! Would you say that the average beer league goalie who’s on the ice 1/2 times a week would be just fine with the stock stiffness or would it be better in the long run to get extra stiff the ensure the pad doesn’t break down and get softer?

11 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Kirk,

thank you for the clarification! Would you say that the average beer league goalie who’s on the ice 1/2 times a week would be just fine with the stock stiffness or would it be better in the long run to get extra stiff the ensure the pad doesn’t break down and get softer?

if u need to stiffen it up more just buy a stiff ruler and throw it down the backside slot on the outside. works on the g2-g 5

On 4/10/2020 at 9:41 AM, Quadzilla32 said:

Kirk,

I think you'll be just fine with Medium!

18 minutes ago, jtdubs01 said:

Thoughts on this colour blocking? Haven't seen any others use it but it reminds me of Demko's current set.

Screenshot_2020-04-13 Warrior Goalie - R G5 Customizer(1).png

Screenshot_2020-04-13 Warrior Goalie - R G5 Customizer(2).png

I think that this is a pretty solid combo. I would probably go with the W logo on the face rather than Warrior on the outer roll. 

10 hours ago, RichMan said:

Anyone got their dirty paws on a G5 c/a before launch?

RichMan, we recieved a shipment of G5 C/As on the last day the store I work at was open.   I don't remember many details and was just in there socializing for a few minutes, so didn't really spend a lot of time checking them out.   At this point my expectations for Warrior C/As are so high that I would say that it's positive that nothing much stuck out to me in the couple minutes I spend looking at it.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you wondering, Warrior is still producing. I just received my set of G5's that I ordered about 6 weeks ago! Here are some pictures, next to my set of G4's that they will be replacing. The blocker board is flatter, the glove has an insert to tilt the hand a bit. The pads are extra-stiff in the thigh, and the same size as my set of G4's (36+2). I think I'll really like the beveled cut on the back corner of the landing stack. Not sure when I'll be able to take them out for a spin, but hope to do a review when possible. Meanwhile, if there's any area where folks want to see more pictures, I'd be happy to oblige.

IMG_7306.jpeg

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7308.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7310.jpeg

IMG_7311.jpeg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

For those of you wondering, Warrior is still producing. I just received my set of G5's that I ordered about 6 weeks ago! Here are some pictures, next to my set of G4's that they will be replacing. The blocker board is flatter, the glove has an insert to tilt the hand a bit. The pads are extra-stiff in the thigh, and the same size as my set of G4's (36+2). I think I'll really like the beveled cut on the back corner of the landing stack. Not sure when I'll be able to take them out for a spin, but hope to do a review when possible. Meanwhile, if there's any area where folks want to see more pictures, I'd be happy to oblige.

IMG_7306.jpeg

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7308.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7310.jpeg

IMG_7311.jpeg

I'm getting really jealous now.  I ordered mine 7 weeks ago and have seen a finished picture of my pads but as far as I know they haven't made it to the shop to ship out to me.