Jump to content
cwarnar

Warrior G5

Recommended Posts

I don’t know about anywhere else but the north Texas rinks are opening Monday and I’m getting on the ice in Louisiana tomorrow for a camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Teezle said:

Looks like we ordered at the same time (Monday is also 8 weeks for me), so hopefully we'll get them around the same time, too. Our official season is scheduled to resume on June 1, but ice rinks will be re-opening next week. I wouldn't go to one of them, because it's impossible to socially distance in their tiny locker rooms and hallways. But we're scheduled to do a few low number of skaters pickup games in the coming weeks to "tune up" for it - restrictions like only 5 guys a side (playing full ice 4-on-4 or 3-on-3), no contact/going into the corners, face covering required under your helmets, no showering at the rink, etc.

It would be nice to take the new gear for a couple test runs to get a feel for it. Mostly I'm just excited for new gear - I'l definitely post pics when it comes in.

I've been going to work and the store like any other time since all of this started.  I am not at all concerned about a locker room.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

I play on two different teams.  One at the Pineville Icehouse and the other is at Extreme Ice in Indian Trail near Mathews.  The email that I got was from XI, no idea what Pineville plans to do yet.  

Monday will be 8 weeks from when I ordered my pads so I guess that I can't complain yet.

Where are you at now?

Oh nice. I never did get to play at XI. I mostly played out of raleigh/durham rinks but periodically popped in at Pineville.

I'm up in Boston now. Lots of rinks but all shut with no peep of when they are coming back online. Some of my teams are trying to put together low-key pickups as soon as allowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

Oh nice. I never did get to play at XI. I mostly played out of raleigh/durham rinks but periodically popped in at Pineville.

I'm up in Boston now. Lots of rinks but all shut with no peep of when they are coming back online. Some of my teams are trying to put together low-key pickups as soon as allowed

You missed out if you chose to play at Pineville instead of XI, at least before last summer when they finally replaced the compressors.  We have had games at Pineville cancelled because it was so foggy that I could barely  see a player standing on the blueline at the point let alone see what was going on at the other end of the ice.  Another time we moved the goal up to the top of the crease to put the hole where the ice melted inside of the goal.  Talk about messing up any positioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

You missed out if you chose to play at Pineville instead of XI, at least before last summer when they finally replaced the compressors.  We have had games at Pineville cancelled because it was so foggy that I could barely  see a player standing on the blueline at the point let alone see what was going on at the other end of the ice.  Another time we moved the goal up to the top of the crease to put the hole where the ice melted inside of the goal.  Talk about messing up any positioning.

Ahh I haven't played there in about 7-8 years, but ya definitely remember the foggy ice. Ha. What a time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

g5s are temptinggggggg. @Kirk3190 will stores ever stock warrior with shorter thigh rises? if i was to order custom id honestly drop down to a 36 + .5 over my current 36 1.5 g4s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jfu91 said:

Oh nice. I never did get to play at XI. I mostly played out of raleigh/durham rinks but periodically popped in at Pineville.

I'm up in Boston now. Lots of rinks but all shut with no peep of when they are coming back online. Some of my teams are trying to put together low-key pickups as soon as allowed

I'm right outside of Boston, what rink do you usually play in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Griff1604 said:

I'm right outside of Boston, what rink do you usually play in?

Most frequently: Somerville, Brighton (Warrior), Cambridge, West Roxbury

Less frequently: Southie, Foxboro

What about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, jfu91 said:

Most frequently: Somerville, Brighton (Warrior), Cambridge, West Roxbury

Less frequently: Southie, Foxboro

What about you?

Great rinks.

Most Frequently: Edge (Bedford), Belmont Hill
Others: Warrior, NESC (Marlborough, mostly for tournaments),
Tournaments: Foxboro, Walpole, Canton, and some NH rinks 

Glad to see another local on here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, Griff1604 said:

Great rinks.

Most Frequently: Edge (Bedford), Belmont Hill
Others: Warrior, NESC (Marlborough, mostly for tournaments),
Tournaments: Foxboro, Walpole, Canton, and some NH rinks 

Glad to see another local on here!

Likewise - fingers crossed that the rinks start back up under phase 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

Looking for bit of advice I’ve got my first pair of Warriors coming next month and I’m not 100% sold on the elastic toe tie having always used standard lace but was thinking of trying Prolaces on them. 

What do you guys use? 

Its the new G5’s if that helps and on separate note I got the new R/F1 Pro mask today thing is a beauty of a mask! Can see why they took their time with the design great mask 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Tell us more about the mask please 😁

2.  I use elastic toe ties similar to pro laces on my G4 leg pads and they’re much better than lace. In my personal opinion elastic toe ties let the pad move with you better because they hold your skate closer to the pad depending how many knots your skate lace has. They also put less stress on your ankles. Overall elastic toe ties are better than skate lace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for info on the toe ties definitely up for trying them just wasn't completely sold on the idea but like the idea of less stress on my ankles for sure. 

Onto the mask Ill post some pics too. First thing I noticed when tired it on was how comfy the padding was felt really soft but the shell is solid as you like. Only down side is I dont have a chesty at home right now so cant try it with that but the mobility felt really good I've been using a CCM Pro mask for last few years and that was one issue I found I had when looking over my shoulder or straight down maybe just me but first impressions Im hoping this mask will fix that definitely feels that way. 

IMG_20200522_111039.jpg

IMG_20200522_111045.jpg

IMG_20200522_111100.jpg

IMG_20200522_111114.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clema35 said:

Cheers for info on the toe ties definitely up for trying them just wasn't completely sold on the idea but like the idea of less stress on my ankles for sure. 

Onto the mask Ill post some pics too. First thing I noticed when tired it on was how comfy the padding was felt really soft but the shell is solid as you like. Only down side is I dont have a chesty at home right now so cant try it with that but the mobility felt really good I've been using a CCM Pro mask for last few years and that was one issue I found I had when looking over my shoulder or straight down maybe just me but first impressions Im hoping this mask will fix that definitely feels that way. 

IMG_20200522_111039.jpg

IMG_20200522_111045.jpg

IMG_20200522_111100.jpg

IMG_20200522_111114.jpg

Are you able to weigh it by any chance?

On the toe ties question, only thing I’d point out is that the G5’s have a non-traditional attachment point for using laces or a 3rd party elastic set up such as ProLaces. There’s no extra “tab” connected to the toe. There is a set of holes built into the jenpro at the spot where the stock elastic strap connects. There are a few pictures on this site that show it clearly. You 100% can attach ProLaces there, but it looks like they may work slightly differently on these pads based on that connection point. I have a custom set of G5’s on the way as well and plan to try using ProLaces with them first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the mask pics!  I would try the elastic that comes with the G5's first and then go to the Prolaces if you don't like it.  I wore my G2 elastics up until last year when they were too stretched out and finally went with the Prolaces, which are fantastic.  But I was fine with stock at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s great feedback cheers guys 

Ill see what I can do about the weighing the mask 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Are you able to weigh it by any chance?

On the toe ties question, only thing I’d point out is that the G5’s have a non-traditional attachment point for using laces or a 3rd party elastic set up such as ProLaces. There’s no extra “tab” connected to the toe. There is a set of holes built into the jenpro at the spot where the stock elastic strap connects. There are a few pictures on this site that show it clearly. You 100% can attach ProLaces there, but it looks like they may work slightly differently on these pads based on that connection point. I have a custom set of G5’s on the way as well and plan to try using ProLaces with them first. 

Mask weighs 2688 lb / 1.219 kg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys 

If you had the choice which would be better 

G4 pro catcher 

Or

G5 snr 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

Hey guys 

If you had the choice which would be better 

G4 pro catcher 

Or

G5 snr 

I haven't gotten my hands on the G5 SNR stuff to try yet. I'd lean towards the G4 pro, it's the nicer glove that I have ever used. The downside is that the T is a bit short compared to other gloves - the G5 tee is about an inch longer. The glove permitter is the same, they just reduced the cuff block size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The G5 line of gloves is without a doubt better than G4. The off the shelf closure is on par with Brian’s in my opinion. The G4 gloves were always so stiff to me compared to my G3 and the G5 reminds me a lot of that G3 as far as feel goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

One for one against. 

🤦🏻‍♀️🙅‍♀️

I know how to solve this 😂

get both!

Just kidding. I think you'd be happy with either. My G4's were a bit stiff new, but now closes like butter, and no stingers.

My G5s are begging for some game use right now. Just been working it on the couch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Member Statistics

    1,325
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    Mcnew 27
    Newest Member
    Mcnew 27
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...