Warrior G5

cwarnar

3 hours ago, benner33 said:

They did with my order this time but I didn’t get them when I got my stock pair last time. You can have mine if you want I have no use for it :)  Can’t wait to hear how they play for you. The sizing thing hit me last time. I got a 34”+1.5” GT2 senior set but I had to sell the legs cause I needed more hight for. Traded actually for a used 35”+1.5” G4 and that worked well and resulted in me trying something a bit different by getting a 35”+2” for my custom. Someone on this site actually said that was perfect for them for similar reasons so I gave it a shot. Time will tell but I’m happy with the extra hight it all depends on if these curve and break in like the G4’s I have. 

I found the strap, it was In The knee guard bag. My knees are hitting a touch above center but they are already taller than my old pads so I think I’ll be good to go and if I run my strap around the back of my skate it’s lifts them up a little bit more vs going through my cowling. 

cant wait to get them on the ice and see how they will really fit. 

15 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Did you mess with the blocker placement that much? I’m pretty bad at not adjusting my gear and just rocking the stock setting. 

Constantly. I've gone back and forth between the MID and HIGH setting on my blocker.

I rocked HIGH forever when I got my R/GT 1 set as I was still used to a velocity blocker hand placement. Once I got my R/GT C/A, I had to move it down to a MID setting due to the elbow floaters interfering. I've used MID for over two years now that going back throws me off.

You'll inevitably mess with it anyways as you'll definitely want to take advantage of being able to wash your gloves.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Constantly. I've gone back and forth between the MID and HIGH setting on my blocker.

I rocked HIGH forever when I got my R/GT 1 set as I was still used to a velocity blocker hand placement. Once I got my R/GT C/A, I had to move it down to a MID setting due to the elbow floaters interfering. I've used MID for over two years now that going back throws me off.

You'll inevitably mess with it anyways as you'll definitely want to take advantage of being able to wash your gloves.

Yeah my GT C/A doesn’t seem to interfere with the high setting for me (though I wear my blocker loose and my glove with extra straps so I un-blocker for water). 

1 minute ago, benner33 said:

Yeah my GT C/A doesn’t seem to interfere with the high setting for me (though I wear my blocker loose and my glove with extra straps so I un-blocker for water). 

I'm in a Medium but would probably benefit from a Medium body and small arms.

My LT90 C/A before that was awesome as it had shorter cuffs than most brands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

How are you guys breaking in the tee/opening of the glove? Mine has that been closed for a long time/ stock sharp pointy T. Trying to get it a little more round so I can get some more coverage. 

I loosened the strap that goes around the backhand across the fingers so the glove opens wider

12 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Are talking about the bungee strap that’s on the outside of the glove or in the actually glove? 

The jenpro strap on the outside of the glove that goes across the fingers. The one that keeps the backhand protection snug against the glove.

16 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

The jenpro strap on the outside of the glove that goes across the fingers. The one that keeps the backhand protection snug against the glove.

That doesn't open the glove any more. I know some guys loosen up the elastic strap that goes from the cuff to below your thumb as they find it helps ease up the closure.

I've never found it to be a hindrance though.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That doesn't open the glove any more. I know some guys loosen up the elastic strap that goes from the cuff to below your thumb as they find it helps ease up the closure.

I've never found it to be a hindrance though.

The glove closes completely I just want to shape the pocket a little bit more but it might just need to be used and broken In. 

2 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

How are you guys breaking in the tee/opening of the glove? Mine has that been closed for a long time/ stock sharp pointy T. Trying to get it a little more round so I can get some more coverage. 

I had this same issue. I had some extra pvc lying around, so I cut a piece to stretch open the glove. 

4C3DA456-DC10-4B85-A403-1DBECE172C1C.thumb.jpeg.d75a4d72f97181e0b9d20e265e8d9255.jpeg

4 hours ago, mikemc620 said:

I had this same issue. I had some extra pvc lying around, so I cut a piece to stretch open the glove. 

4C3DA456-DC10-4B85-A403-1DBECE172C1C.thumb.jpeg.d75a4d72f97181e0b9d20e265e8d9255.jpeg

That's what I do too. Your workmanship on the PVC is better than mine! Loosening the strap on the outside of the glove helps to stretch out the glove in this direction and "rounds" out the T when opening the glove.

6 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Might have to try something like that see if it helps or just break it in the old fashion way. 

Use a pocket stretcher for sure!  Mine is a piece of 1x2 I had lying around.  I angle cut the edges and covered that areas that will touch the glove with some old PadSkinz I had lying around to avoid tears.  It's worked wonders on my GT2 and now my G5 glove.   I alternate between stretching the glove and tying it tightly closed.  Most gloves I switch every night, but Warriors have responded better to 2 nights of being held open followed by a single night of being tied shut.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Quadzilla32 said:

Just did some carpet flys and they already feel good and close up the bottom of the net really nicely. 

Glad I went with 34 my knee is already landing a little high with knee pads on bit I like it. If I went with 33 like was suggested and from warriors measurements the pads would be too small.  Also thought that warrior included a carrying strap for the pads?  No big deal they already threw in some knee guards. 

How tall are you, just asking, because Ive seen how the warrior pads sizing are kinda wonky, I ordered 35+1 and am around 5'11

Edited by Nakka30
Spelling

On 7/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, Quadzilla32 said:

Did you mess with the blocker placement that much? I’m pretty bad at not adjusting my gear and just rocking the stock setting. 

Here's my R/GT2 Pro. Foam sticking out a bit. I can close it off a bit more by adjusting the "pocket" but it's never affected anything. 

20200707_205908.thumb.jpg.39a00a6f9b8699cfc664ef9fcdb3e9fe.jpg

On 7/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, cuprajake said:

The tee is the sticking point, 

Make it floating and the glove opens super nice, g4 for ref not done the g5 yet

20200619_082307.jpg

On 7/7/2020 at 2:42 PM, mikemc620 said:

I believe the G5 still has that axis tee system right? If not, these gloves break in pretty easily. 

Here's my catcher that has had nothing done to it but playing in it.
 20200707_210004.thumb.jpg.a30bf4df30a8ca98b54f235420c8a984.jpg

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Here's my R/GT2 Pro. Foam sticking out a bit. I can close it off a bit more by adjusting the "pocket" but it's never affected anything. 

20200707_205908.thumb.jpg.39a00a6f9b8699cfc664ef9fcdb3e9fe.jpg

I believe the G5 still has that axis tee system right? If not, these gloves break in pretty easily. 

Here's my catcher that has had nothing done to it but playing in it. 20200707_210004.thumb.jpg.a30bf4df30a8ca98b54f235420c8a984.jpg

I used similar things with my G4 set but haven’t used a stretcher with my G5. 

With my G4 and now my G5 I used this method of home baking but I skip the break part and instead work the glove till it cools and push down on the point of the single T a bit. After a week and doing it twice it’s getting there (I’ll post a pic tomorrow tired from a game tonight). 

Oops forgot the link. https://www.goaliegearnerd.com/ggn-hacks

With my G5 I also shot pucks around to get the turco grip going after a bake while warm too. 

and like others I loosened the strap on the thumb outside on my G4 but honestly feel it’s better on my G5 so I’ve just loosened it a touch. 

Edited by benner33

3 hours ago, Nakka30 said:

How tall are you, just asking, because Ive seen how the warrior pads sizing are kinda wonky, I ordered 35+1 and am around 5'11

I’m 6’ 1’ (damn close at least) and 35” is for sure the right size for the landing gear side. I added 1/2” to my G5 set this time so mine are 35”+2” and I like it (once they break in it’ll be perfect). 

9 hours ago, Nakka30 said:

I’m 5’11 on a good day but usually 5’10. I could of gone with 35’s but I ordered when no stores were open and just off of talking with TGC and warrior. I can snap you some picture later if you want of where my knees landing. It’s a little higher in the stack but I like it since in theory I should have better control over the pad. They are already taller than my older pads so as long as my five hole is closed I’m happy. 

Edited by Quadzilla32

5 hours ago, benner33 said:

I’m 6’ 1’ (damn close at least) and 35” is for sure the right size for the landing gear side. I added 1/2” to my G5 set this time so mine are 35”+2” and I like it (once they break in it’ll be perfect). 

I’m 6’3” and I land in the center on my pads 36+1.5 with the boot strap through my Lundy loop. 

Edited by mikemc620

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m 5’11” and I wear a 33+1.5 very comfortably (no boot strap knee strap down to calf) how on earth are y’all in 35s??

Maybe everyone’s shin and thigh area is different? I didn’t think that I could use 35’s but I would fit in them 

41 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m 5’11” and I wear a 33+1.5 very comfortably (no boot strap knee strap down to calf) how on earth are y’all in 35s??

I have very long legs considering my height so while im only around 5' 11 my legs fit the 35 size

I also ordered 35+1 and my old pads which are bauer 1s are a bauer large, and they fit well but are a bit small, so theoretically should be only half an inch smaller but I wear my pads low and tight 

If you use the sizing chart for the g5s I should actually be wearing 36 however I think that would be way too big because of the thigh rise

Edited by Nakka30