Warrior G5

cwarnar

I’m using both finger loops but I might just need to tighten down the strapping. I haven’t really tinkered with it that much but appears I need to. It felt weird to me to tighten down the straps and have the glove that tight but I might just be sure to wearing my other glove really loose 

I actually use a golf glove, or cotton glove, so that way they stay mobile but just stay in better, I know my goalie partner just soaks his hand before practice or games, and he says it just helps his hand stay in better

I use the lundqvist method:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 5.26.45 PM.png

11 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

That would be great if you could. I think I got to just play around with the strapping to get it down. First glove I’ve had to mess with it, my other glove stayed on but it also was heavier and bigger. 

(this is a G3 glove)

So, the index strap is tightened so that the tip of it meets the edge of the soft velcro on the back of my hand; the thumb strap is tightened so that the end of it meets the side of the index strap. The only strap I ever undo is the pinky-side strap. The thumb/index finger straps stay done up, unless I'm removing the liner entirely (as I just did earlier today, because I noticed the pinky strap was pulling away from the aeromesh and I needed to sow it back into place).

Anyways, the pinky straps goes low across the back of my hand, kinks just after meeting the index finger strap, and then follows the index strap up towards the spine of the T (which is over top the fleshy bit of your hand, between the index finger and thumb).

(I typically close my glove while tightening the pinky strap, because I find that it pulls my hand deeper into the glove and I get a snugger fit)

I find it locks my hand fairly deeply into the glove, and for those occasions where I do need to remove my glove while on the ice (for some reason) I only have one strap to tighten before I'm good to go.

20200803_153038.jpg

20200803_153152.jpg

Edited by CJ Boiss
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:03 AM, ArdeFIN said:

image.thumb.png.bd0bdd3353c0f0c74b8ff8ddd3955ed0.png

Kova goalie (Varusteverstas) produces this wrist strap for Warrior gloves. I've never used but from what I hear it's working very well in holding hand at place and still not hindering the mobility of the wrist and glove.

https://varusteverstas.fi/kauppa/rannekiristys-warrior-rapyloihin/

In finnish but I think there was English pages too.

Bought a used 1S glove years back. It was built like the Warrior and had no wrist strap. Was made by JRZ, so probably a pro demo for someone?

Anyone, had Factory Mad make me a similar product and it worked great.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:03 AM, ArdeFIN said:

Kova goalie (Varusteverstas) produces this wrist strap for Warrior gloves. I've never used but from what I hear it's working very well in holding hand at place and still not hindering the mobility of the wrist and glove.

I have one as well. I really needed it for my G4’s but my G5’s don’t seem to have the same slippage issue my G4 had. 

I have G5 Sr’s and they have been nothing short of incredible. A bit loose for my taste but I can see why some would like that. The breaks (boot and below knee) are very well defined with minimal additional bend outside of the breaks. Coveredge does in fact work on pads and maybe a little too well on the blocker. I bank the puck off the sidewall a lot now. I love the G5 glove. It is the perfect warrior glove as far as I’m concerned. I love my old G3 Pro glove but had some issues with G4. The G5 pro Glove improves on the G3 and then some!

With all that said I’ll be wearing Bauer next season

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StevenC said:

Any of you guy's who have the G5's and have been able to use them able to give any updates on what you like or dislike about them?  Any obvious quality issues?

This is my first set of modern style pads (stiff, light, strapping) and love them so far! I’m coming from a Set of Simmons which were soft like Vaughn velocity’s. They give off awesome rebounds allowing me to clear the puck away from me and giving me time to recover. I don’t know if it’s just in my mind but I have played a lot better with these pads vs my old set. I’m making saves laterally I wouldn’t be able to do with my old gear. My old set in the third period would stick to the ice and not slide well but the warriors still slide side to side. 

leg pads- I have a narrower BF but the single break still allows me to close it really well. I think I can get better closure with a stiffer single break thigh rise than my old double break pads. 

blocker- I’m part of the group that says a blocker is a blocker but think this one changed my mind. I have a weaker blocker side but since switching I’m making tons of blocker saves and pinching them off the glass or Into the corner. The blocker is also really comfortable and the way it’s angled when you hold your stick most pucks who hit it deflect to the corners automatically. 

glove- only gripe I have with the set and it’s ALL my fault is the glove, I am still getting use to it. I’m coming from a Simmons double T Vaughn style glove and the warrior is a single T and just feels different. That being said I have better closure with the warrior after 1-3 uses than my Simmons after using for 2/3 years, my Simmons still wouldn’t close all the way. 

as of right now I am very happy with my G5’s. There were some slight cosmetic issues that didn’t mess with pad play. I would recommend the pads to anyone 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StevenC said:

Any of you guy's who have the G5's and have been able to use them able to give any updates on what you like or dislike about them?  Any obvious quality issues?

I've been playing in them for a bit now (about 6 pick ups) and I really like them a lot better than my G4s (the blocker and glove in particular). Really I have no complaints and really prefer the extra stiff thigh I got and the rebounds are much hotter off these than my G4 Pros...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Anyone get a deal on Sr G5 gear (non-pro) worth sharing? Looking at GM but wondering if there's a better option out there...

I ordered my custom set from thehockeyshop.com to get the exchange rate bonus so that might be an option. 

Just now, benner33 said:

I ordered my custom set from thehockeyshop.com to get the exchange rate bonus so that might be an option. 

Oh but be aware UPS charged me about $100 total for two packages when it came over the border. So you might want to factor that in. 

3 hours ago, benner33 said:

Oh but be aware UPS charged me about $100 total for two packages when it came over the border. So you might want to factor that in. 

Really? I've ordered from them a bunch with no issues, always user purolator though so maybe that is why (got a chesty and my pads from them, 2 different deliveries)

5 minutes ago, Quickdraw1977 said:

Really? I've ordered from them a bunch with no issues, always user purolator though so maybe that is why (got a chesty and my pads from them, 2 different deliveries)

Either way you pay for shipping from Canada which eats into the discount.   If you can live with the comparably lengthy delivery times it's often still worth your while to buy in/order from Canada for some items. 

I used TGC and got a sweet when they were running their covid deal. Exchange rate and discount made my total right around the price of custom leg pads alone from GM. 

If you are south of the border then look at pricing from Canadian retailers If not I doubt that there will be many deals on Sr level stuff especially since the gear just came out. 

3 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

They charged me 50 CAD for shipping my whole set. I think it took 4-5 days to get to me in NC. 

Yeah so I ordered basically all the gear I would need for the next two years (C/A, Pants, G5 set + 3 M1 sticks) and they came in two separate shipments. I have no complaints just mentioning that for folks that may not be aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

so finally had my first skate out in the g5 gloves, 

first skate since early march, was fun..ive learnt my knees still not healed from running,

the gloves are a nice upgrade from the g4, i like the tighter strapping on the catcher, undecided if the coverage plus does anything, the blocker is more poppy than the g4, all in all nice upgrade, 

still debating a g5 pad upgrade over the gt pads i have

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2020 at 3:03 AM, ArdeFIN said:

A couple years late, but how do you like this? I'm debating it for my G4.

2 hours ago, indykrap said:

A couple years late, but how do you like this? I'm debating it for my G4.

Still never used one myself. I once again own a pair of G4 gloves and after I get them refurbished I'll see how it goes without this strap. If that is the only thing I miss I'll make one to try it. I've had bad experiences with Warrior gloves earlier so I'm not expecting much. But I want to give them a fair chance again.