Jump to content
Max27

Vaughn V9

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

Hello all,

I am getting my first ever custom set of pads, and I'm looking to order within these next upcoming weeks. I'm seeking help with what specs I should get based on my play style and preferences. I'm on the shorter side (5'6") but still growing. I play a very athletic style. Right now this is what I'm thinking about going with. 

I currently wear a size medium intermediate bauer pad, which is listed as 31+1, I'm thinking I should go with a 33+1.5.

Stock knee strap, mid knee (I wear the strap behind my knee.)

Stock boot strap through skate (I wear the bootstrap going through the back hole)

Standard toe bar with skate lace (planning on putting in Pro Laces)

Single break (undecided on what stiffness I should choose for the boot/thigh. Not sure what is the best for my style.) 

I'm also thinking of going with a tapered toe (but what are the benefits?)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If there are different specs that you guys think would be good, let me know please.

How flexible are your hips? Do you have a wide butterfly? If so you can use stiffer pads if you want. I have very flexible hips and use a softer pad out of preference like Korpisalo and Quick. Soldier pads help with 5 hole seal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

How flexible are your hips? Do you have a wide butterfly? If so you can use stiffer pads if you want. I have very flexible hips and use a softer pad out of preference like Korpisalo and Quick. Soldier pads help with 5 hole seal.

They are pretty flexible and yes I do. The only part I would want stiffer is the thigh, and the only reason for that being I think it would contribute to better deal and durability. However I'm a little hesitant because it says it adds weight. It's not a huge deal to me so if it adds weight I'm not sure that I need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not offended at all! My goalie partner last year had Bauer 1s pads and gloves. Both pads were broken where a typical single break pad has it’s one outer break. They would bend like crazy because the internals broke. Also, his glove was broken inside because there was a bump from foam and plastic sticking up. Also @coopaloop1234 What models were the boot settling and finger curling happening on? I think they actually were before my time lol

V2-V4 were big for that. I think they started to address it around the V5 mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Hello all,

I am getting my first ever custom set of pads, and I'm looking to order within these next upcoming weeks. I'm seeking help with what specs I should get based on my play style and preferences. I'm on the shorter side (5'6") but still growing. I play a very athletic style. Right now this is what I'm thinking about going with. 

I currently wear a size medium intermediate bauer pad, which is listed as 31+1, I'm thinking I should go with a 33+1.5.

Stock knee strap, mid knee (I wear the strap behind my knee.)

Stock boot strap through skate (I wear the bootstrap going through the back hole)

Standard toe bar with skate lace (planning on putting in Pro Laces)

Single break (undecided on what stiffness I should choose for the boot/thigh. Not sure what is the best for my style.) 

I'm also thinking of going with a tapered toe (but what are the benefits?)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If there are different specs that you guys think would be good, let me know please.

Asking us what we think would be good is useless.  You need to spec your pads for your body, style and flexibility.  I would talk with a retailer at length about what you're looking for, Vaughn might not even be the best choice.  I'd recommend Craig Milner at Dukes or Chris Dudo at GM.  Both are well versed in Vaughn

Edited by cwarnar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not offended at all! My goalie partner last year had Bauer 1s pads and gloves. Both pads were broken where a typical single break pad has it’s one outer break. They would bend like crazy because the internals broke. Also, his glove was broken inside because there was a bump from foam and plastic sticking up. Also @coopaloop1234 What models were the boot settling and finger curling happening on? I think they actually were before my time lol

Gotcha, ok.  Those are probably within the sample size of manufacturer defects that all companies have, but seeing it directly can definitely impact your perception.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not offended at all! My goalie partner last year had Bauer 1s pads and gloves. Both pads were broken where a typical single break pad has it’s one outer break. They would bend like crazy because the internals broke. Also, his glove was broken inside because there was a bump from foam and plastic sticking up. Also @coopaloop1234 What models were the boot settling and finger curling happening on? I think they actually were before my time lol

@A.YOUNGoalie13 Just about every Vaughn glove I have used has suffered from finger curl.  I have used Velocity, Epic, V3, 7990 & my current Vaughn pro custom glove based off a V5 or 6.  The worst of these by far was my Epic.  One thing about it though, there was never the worry that the puck would drop out if you caught it.

Edited by Ken35
Forgot a glove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ken35 said:

@A.YOUNGoalie13 Just about every Vaughn glove I have used has suffered from finger curl.  I have used Velocity, Epic, V3, 7990 & my current Vaughn pro custom glove based off a V5 or 6.  The worst of these by far was my Epic.  One thing about it though, there was never the worry that the puck would drop out if you caught it.

This issue is solved if you're able to go custom by asking for the carbon reinforced perimeter option for legacy builds like the 5500 and 8800- I also haven't seen the issue in anything with 'carbon' in it, ie, V6 onwards. So anything at retail these days won't have that issue. 

Boot also really only 'settled' with pads stuffed with the black snake foam, which isn't at retail as of the 2300 onwards I believe. All Vaughn's do shrink or compress slightly, but the newer the lineup, the less it's a factor. 

Asking a retailer/goalie guru like Dudo at GM to help you out is great idea too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

V2-V4 were big for that. I think they started to address it around the V5 mark.

21 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

V4 started to fix it but V5 was the first one that really helped

13 hours ago, Ken35 said:

@A.YOUNGoalie13 Just about every Vaughn glove I have used has suffered from finger curl.  I have used Velocity, Epic, V3, 7990 & my current Vaughn pro custom glove based off a V5 or 6.  The worst of these by far was my Epic.  One thing about it though, there was never the worry that the puck would drop out if you caught it.

Definitely before my time. By the time I really cared about gear, I think the v6 were new

Edited by A.YOUNGoalie13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks they may have fixed 1 of 2 of my problems with my VE8 pads:

1) knee wrap does not secure with velcro to edges of the knee block (fixed....at least it appears so here on the V9)

2) the velcro on the top of the calf wrap for the knee strap is super soft and not very strong and is all but useless now (not fixed, looks like the same stuff on V9). I'm having to get my velcro here completely covered with new, stronger velcro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

#Notestingneeded... Because they don't innovate

Ha.  Yeah.  No testing because it's the same, so......

It's really not, but it's funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really?  This glove looks fantastic to me!  One other thing I absolutely love about Vaughn is that they're carrying Quickslide down to the second price point.  As I mentioned in the G5 thread, there are certain people who come into the store and are totally focused on the sliding material used on pads.  I've sold a couple sets of SLR2 Pros to people like that who didn't want to pay the extra to move up to a true pro level pad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always feel like I missed something when people bag on Vaughn gear. I know Mike Vaughn has a negative reputation in some folks eyes, but I don't see what it has to do with the gear. I don't understand why Vaughn would get anymore crap than any other manufacturer about innovation. They have a largely unbroken line of revision with most of their stuff just like Warrior, Brian's and Lefevre. Bauer would be right there, too, if they hadn't broken up with JRZ. Is innovation always a slam dunk? Not in my experience.

Looking at the same photos as everybody else, I see a pad with:

  • A very stable, minimally-featured sliding surface
  • A wide leg channel with enough strapping options and nothing superfluous
  • A thin profile
  • Probably very light 

A blocker with:

  • Too much binding in high-wear areas
  • A nice sure-grip palm
  • Great finger protection
  • Probably not the lightest weight blocker on the market

A glove with:

  • Everything someone either loves or hates about Vaughn gloves
  • A familiar break angle (either one)
  • Well-placed internal straps
  • Probably light in weight
  • Somewhat light in palm protection, but...
  • Zero learning curve - you're gonna catch the puck in the pocket (2-piece cuff model)

Frankly, I understand why a number of paid goaltenders do not want to switch out of a certain piece of gear or an entire set, and I'm not shocked that these goaltenders are typically in Vaughn gear. If anything, the incremental revisions that Brian's and Vaughn roll out regularly are more of a testament to commitment rather than innovation for innovation's sake. Warrior does the same thing and I never read or hear anyone dump on Pete for staying on script. I wouldn't doubt that CCM stifled Lefevre in this area over the years, and Bauer essentially makes leg pads for those that are not necessarily looking for longevity (although I have no first-hand experience with them). 

Edited by dualshowman
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I always feel like I missed something when people bag on Vaughn gear. I know Mike Vaughn has a negative reputation in some folks eyes, but I don't see what it has to do with the gear. I don't understand why Vaughn would get anymore crap than any other manufacturer about innovation. They have a largely unbroken line of revision with most of their stuff just like Warrior, Brian's and Lefevre. Bauer would be right there, too, if they hadn't broken up with JRZ. Is innovation always a slam dunk? Not in my experience.

Looking at the same photos as everybody else, I see a pad with:

  • A very stable, minimally-featured sliding surface
  • A wide leg channel with enough strapping options and nothing superfluous
  • A thin profile
  • Probably very light 

A blocker with:

  • Too much binding in high-wear areas
  • A nice sure-grip palm
  • Great finger protection
  • Probably not the lightest weight blocker on the market

A glove with:

  • Everything someone either loves or hates about Vaughn gloves
  • A familiar break angle (either one)
  • Well-placed internal straps
  • Probably light in weight
  • Somewhat light in palm protection, but...
  • Zero learning curve - you're gonna catch the puck in the pocket (2-piece cuff model)

Frankly, I understand why a number of paid goaltenders do not want to switch out of a certain piece of gear or an entire set, and I'm not shocked that these goaltenders are typically in Vaughn gear. If anything, the incremental revisions that Brian's and Vaughn roll out regularly are more of a testament to commitment rather than innovation for innovation's sake. Warrior does the same thing and I never read or hear anyone dump on Pete for staying on script. I wouldn't doubt that CCM stifled Lefevre in this area over the years, and Bauer essentially makes leg pads for those that are not necessarily looking for longevity (although I have no first-hand experience with them). 

Quite frankly, ccm has innovated just as much if not less than vaughn, but don't get half the shit vaughn gets for not being innovative.

i might get bagged on by the ccm lovers here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Two things: there better be a Chicago colorway and I really hope the pads have double internal breaks

There's not. Only all white, white/red, white/blue, and white/black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...