Opinions on current top line pads!

Dero

39 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

CCM will get you the tighter fit for sure. Vaughn seems to be the only company with minimal over-rotation (I’m slightly biased because I have pves). I have heard Bauer and Warrior struggle with durability but people really like them whine they are in one piece. As for gloves, ccm only makes the 600 break now so you would have to tell us what closure angle you like

Brian’s does like their own things with gloves but to me it felt really close to maybe a 590 and before that I don’t even remember what I had with my reactor set so I can’t really say what I like and don’t like.

however, for the Brian’s, if it were more broken in I would like it more it’s just so stiff. And the reason I’m so skeptical about the warrior glove is because all I’ve heard is that you close it with all four fingers instead of really closing it with your thumb and index.

i must say though that the 2s glove I tried on at the retailer was very very nice but I wouldn’t really compare that to a 590 just because it felt different than my Brian’s assuming that the Brian’s is trying to resemble a 590. I’d say the 2s is more of a 600 and the 2x was kind of close to my Brian’s but way more game ready.

Warrior makes a pretty odd pad. I loved strapping my pads insanely tight before the warriors but when I tried the G4 on in store it just felt perfect. Just a reminder that what you’re used to won’t always be what feels best to you. I have tried everything on at monkey sports and my three favorites are 2X Pro with boot strap, G4, and Optik 2

24 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Warrior makes a pretty odd pad. I loved strapping my pads insanely tight before the warriors but when I tried the G4 on in store it just felt perfect. Just a reminder that what you’re used to won’t always be what feels best to you. I have tried everything on at monkey sports and my three favorites are 2X Pro with boot strap, G4, and Optik 2

I’ve actually seen some debate on the boot strap on the 2x because it doesn’t come attached. Was there just not enough security for you down low or a lot of tension at the ankle

22 hours ago, Dero said:

Brian’s does like their own things with gloves but to me it felt really close to maybe a 590 and before that I don’t even remember what I had with my reactor set so I can’t really say what I like and don’t like.

however, for the Brian’s, if it were more broken in I would like it more it’s just so stiff. And the reason I’m so skeptical about the warrior glove is because all I’ve heard is that you close it with all four fingers instead of really closing it with your thumb and index.

i must say though that the 2s glove I tried on at the retailer was very very nice but I wouldn’t really compare that to a 590 just because it felt different than my Brian’s assuming that the Brian’s is trying to resemble a 590. I’d say the 2s is more of a 600 and the 2x was kind of close to my Brian’s but way more game ready.

Brians gloves are insanely broken in at pro level. Game ready gnetik 4 closes so easily it’s insane. I had the gnetik 8 glove too and it was definitely a stiff and beefy glove, but I think it’s good. You could test the gnetik 4 

22 hours ago, Dero said:

After what you just said, I think you should get softer pads (Vaughn PVE, Velocity-CCM eflex-Brian’s Gnetik-Bauer Vapor) because it’s sounds like you don’t like the stiff Brian’s. Vaughn’s won’t be the tightest pad ever but won’t over rotate. Bauer’s will over rotate but will fit tight.

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

After what you just said, I think you should get softer pads (Vaughn PVE, Velocity-CCM eflex-Brian’s Gnetik-Bauer Vapor) because it’s sounds like you don’t like the stiff Brian’s. Vaughn’s won’t be the tightest pad ever but won’t over rotate. Bauer’s will over rotate but will fit tight.

Thanks. I’ve started to lean the way of the vapors but I’m gonna take a new look at Eflexs. 

only thing that scares me with the ccms is people keep switching from them to Vaughn, and most recently Crawford change gloves to Bauer.

ill take a look tho, thank you

6 minutes ago, Dero said:

Thanks. I’ve started to lean the way of the vapors but I’m gonna take a new look at Eflexs. 

only thing that scares me with the ccms is people keep switching from them to Vaughn, and most recently Crawford change gloves to Bauer.

ill take a look tho, thank you

Go with Vaughn. 

If you can wait, the V9 comes out in January. If not, the SLR 2 is a hard pad, slides well and is built well.

Just now, Peter36 said:

Go with Vaughn. 

If you can wait, the V9 comes out in January. If not, the SLR 2 is a hard pad, slides well and is built well.

I know nothing about Vaughn and I just have an idea in my mind that they’re super heavy even tho they probably aren’t.

is the weight heavier than other pads or is that just stuck in my head

i think the reason I think that is bc I have a really really old set from like 2009 of all black 34” + 2 Vaughn’s all straps in my basement collecting dust😂

4 minutes ago, Dero said:

I know nothing about Vaughn and I just have an idea in my mind that they’re super heavy even tho they probably aren’t.

i think the reason I think that is bc I have a really really old set from like 2009 of all black 34” + 2 Vaughn’s all straps in my basement collecting dust😂

I'm not sure because I haven't used many other brands. However I just got the 2X pads and I must say they are lighter and perform a bit better, but the build quality isn't there. Also, the new Vaughn's probably slide better because of the new QuickSlide.

Personally I think the boot strap is a preference. I love it because I like the boot of the pad to move with my skate but I want the top of the pad to be looser.

@Dero No EFlex. No CCM. Trust me speedskin sucks. I borrowed my buddy’s P2.9 pads last night and I actually stuck to the ice. Pretty sure my LT88’s slide better. Scratch that, my Reebok Premier III’s slid better. 

21 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I think I will avoid those! I get pins and needles easily anyway...

I wear my Eflex set nice and loose and don't have any issues. 

23 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am certain that they have their use. Dennis says the pads goes back to centre easier with a boot strap.

That was why I resisted ditching them on my GT2 set for so long.  Being elastic they didn't really interfere with anything and they definitely help the pad center up more quickly.  I ditched them after spraining my ankle and decided that the difference in coming back to center wasn't worth putting the little bit of extra pressure on my ankle. 

20 hours ago, Dero said:

The SLR2 line is supposedly a tiny bit heavier than the SLR1.  However neither is a truly heavy pad, certainly not any heaver than what CCM is offering.  Also, weight in hand isn't everything.  The Vaughn is so well balanced due to the professor strap that it feels lighter than almost any other pad we stock when you put it on. 

It sounds like you've got your mind made up to go with Bauer and are just looking for confirmation of that choice to be honest.  If that's what you want, by all means go for it.  The only cautionary word I would give you is that we get very few repeat customers for Bauer pads.   Most people try them and go back to the brand they came from or move on and try something else.   They do have a few loyalists, but not like CCM, Vaughn and Brians. 

52 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I wear my Eflex set nice and loose and don't have any issues. 

That was why I resisted ditching them on my GT2 set for so long.  Being elastic they didn't really interfere with anything and they definitely help the pad center up more quickly.  I ditched them after spraining my ankle and decided that the difference in coming back to center wasn't worth putting the little bit of extra pressure on my ankle. 

The SLR2 line is supposedly a tiny bit heavier than the SLR1.  However neither is a truly heavy pad, certainly not any heaver than what CCM is offering.  Also, weight in hand isn't everything.  The Vaughn is so well balanced due to the professor strap that it feels lighter than almost any other pad we stock when you put it on. 

It sounds like you've got your mind made up to go with Bauer and are just looking for confirmation of that choice to be honest.  If that's what you want, by all means go for it.  The only cautionary word I would give you is that we get very few repeat customers for Bauer pads.   Most people try them and go back to the brand they came from or move on and try something else.   They do have a few loyalists, but not like CCM, Vaughn and Brians. 

U say that but if u were to talk to me last week I would’ve been dead set on warrior G4’s 😂

I think the main reason is because I haven’t personally felt or tried Vaughn’s yet. And although I like ccm the main concern for me are the gloves as I’ve never tried those, just the Eflex 4 pads. And the Brian’s I’m just not really a fan of but that’s just personal.

i think once I get my hands on ccms and Vaughn’s I’d be able to make a better decision.

i don’t need pads until next season so I definitely have the time I just love talking equipment with other goalies

On 11/20/2019 at 5:38 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I am certain that they have their use. Dennis says the pads goes back to centre easier with a boot strap.

That is definitely true. Or, in other words: boot straps lock pads onto your skates and the tighter they are the tighter they lock so they naturally will go back to center better because they are not allowed to rotate off center in the first place...which is precisely what most modern goalies want.  Hence, modern goalies are ditching boot straps more and more. 

Archived