Looking for advice on how to protect the legs against cuts

ScruffMcgruff

Does anyone have any recommendations for protecting the legs against cuts?

Back Story:
I've being using gladiator cut resistant hockey socks for the past five years but they are ungodly hot to play in. Recently, I picked up a pair of ccm premier goalie pants to try and stay cooler on the ice but they don’t do much to protect the femoral artery. I've since gone back to the thick gladiator socks because I rather overheat than risk a life threatening laceration. 

There has to be something better out on the market, right?! 

8 hours ago, ScruffMcgruff said:

Back Story:
I've being using gladiator cut resistant hockey socks for the past five years but they are ungodly hot to play in. Recently, I picked up a pair of ccm premier goalie pants to try and stay cooler on the ice but they don’t do much to protect the femoral artery. I've since gone back to the thick gladiator socks because I rather overheat than risk a life threatening laceration. 

Some pro stock uniform socks come with a cut resistant back.  Have you looked at those?

11 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I don't think they make them anymore, but I have some Kevlar-lined hockey socks from Firstar. It looks like a regular polyester hockey sock, but one side of the sock's interior is lined with Kevlar. Comfy and they don't run hot.

Look at Tron. They have a LOT of the Firstar overstock.

• 4 weeks later...

After the injury to the Niagara Ice Dogs goalie last night, I did some searching this morning for a product that would help protect from a cut to the femoral artery. Not much is out there except for these: https://daredevilhockey.com/

I'm not going to wait around for something else to come on the market. I've taken enough collisions similar to what happened to the Ice Dogs goalie. Will try to remember to post a review on here/

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Nice idea. I think goalie pants w/cut resistant materials on the inside leg should be mandatory after the recent accident. Wouldn't be too hard to implement, either. 

More like wearing kneepads should be mandatory. Everyone is talking how they need cut resistant stuff when it does nothing against that kind of high force trauma. Kneepads are hard plastic and they are cutproof if you wear a pair you wont get cut above knee.

50 minutes ago, Henkkath said:

More like wearing kneepads should be mandatory. Everyone is talking how they need cut resistant stuff when it does nothing against that kind of high force trauma. Kneepads are hard plastic and they are cutproof if you wear a pair you wont get cut above knee.

"High-force trauma" alone doesn't cause femoral-severing, bone-deep cuts to the high. Cut-proof fabrics would have prevented Tydan's injury from being as serious as it was, even without plastic-shell kneepads.

31 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

"High-force trauma" alone doesn't cause femoral-severing, bone-deep cuts to the high. Cut-proof fabrics would have prevented Tydan's injury from being as serious as it was, even without plastic-shell kneepads.

Most likely yes, but I'm still amazed how OHL level goalie doesn't wear kneepads, taking pucks to knees hurts like hell too 🤔 Also imo modern pads are more comfortable when wearing kneepads.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Peter36 said:

Have you checked out the Oneiric Genesis pants?

Those pant have zero cut resistant to any area other then the Achilles area of lower leg/ankle area. Hogan hockey is the only company I know of that offer goalies fully thigh/knee cut resistant.

14 hours ago, Henkkath said:

You're right, but even with knee pads (depending on the type) there does leave room in the very upper portion of the thigh if the skate makes its way up high enough. In hindsight, would knee pads have prevented the injury? Possibly, sure, but cut-resistant materials would have negated the collision affects as well no doubt. 

I know goalies are picky about our gear, so I'm not sure if knee pads should be enforced or not, but a simple base layer regulation is a small enforecement that would go along way. Same could be said about neck protection.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, GLV_Save said:

After the injury to the Niagara Ice Dogs goalie last night, I did some searching this morning for a product that would help protect from a cut to the femoral artery. Not much is out there except for these: https://daredevilhockey.com/

I'm not going to wait around for something else to come on the market. I've taken enough collisions similar to what happened to the Ice Dogs goalie. Will try to remember to post a review on here/

I'm patiently waiting your review! 

21 hours ago, Ken35 said:

The company that made them is no longer around but I bought 4 pairs just to be sure.  I have the socks and the pants.  I've never had an issue with them.  They are comfortable and I've never found them too hot.

https://wingman-sports-corp.myshopify.com/collections/achilles-cut-resistant-collection

Thanks! Are you sure they aren't around anymore? The website looks like they are still in business. Also, do they do a good job of protecting the upper thigh behind the knee (femoral)? 

On 11/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, ScruffMcgruff said:

Back Story:

This is what I use if anyone is interested. I wear them over my knee pads. Like I said in my original post, the only draw back to these are they are ungodly hot. https://www.gladiatoractive.com/en/product-category/protection/page/2/ 

I too do not wear any knee protection.  I should say no knee protection meant for pucks.  I wear McDavid padded knee sleeves to help cushion my knees as the padding in the knee cradle of my V6 pads has deteriorated over the years.  I just cannot wear knee pads.  Its too much bulk for me to get used to.  I don't wear these oversized wide open goal shorts that are made today.  I wear original Bauer Reactors that were made back in the late 90s-early 00s and are pretty slim compared to today. 

Archived