Jofa 388

bunnyman666

Yep- finally bought one that stared at me on eBay. That ol’ ugly thing.

Yet something makes me want it so badly. I don’t recall one pro ever wearing one. I rarely saw them whilst in minor hockey, and only in Juniors did I start seeing the occasional modern combo, though the Badger started making appearances  right around the time I was leaving hockey. But the SK2000 was de rigeur at the time with a Jofa 390 and large bubble cage making the rare appearance.

The first part I want to do is see what the mask part is made of. This is merely for curiosity's sake.

The second part is to measure and see whether or not I could cut the opening for a 960-style cage could be put on. If a more readily available cage can go on, it would be easier and less expensive to have replacement cages made. Olympia Composites can make a replacement cage, but for a price. 

The third part is to make a mould from the mask part. This would be most likely the easiest thing that I could build. I am still messing about with my upcoming mask mould, which I work on intermittently; I would be building a copy from a composite material. 

I would use this with my Kustom Composites player helmet. 

For reference: 

3F658B0F-A102-40D8-91B0-9BFE845A90F4.jpeg

On 11/20/2019 at 9:46 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Yep- finally bought one that stared at me on eBay. That ol’ ugly thing.

Yet something makes me want it so badly. I don’t recall one pro ever wearing one. I rarely saw them whilst in minor hockey, and only in Juniors did I start seeing the occasional modern combo, though the Badger started making appearances  right around the time I was leaving hockey. But the SK2000 was de rigeur at the time with a Jofa 390 and large bubble cage making the rare appearance.

The first part I want to do is see what the mask part is made of. This is merely for curiosity's sake.

The second part is to measure and see whether or not I could cut the opening for a 960-style cage could be put on. If a more readily available cage can go on, it would be easier and less expensive to have replacement cages made. Olympia Composites can make a replacement cage, but for a price. 

The third part is to make a mould from the mask part. This would be most likely the easiest thing that I could build. I am still messing about with my upcoming mask mould, which I work on intermittently; I would be building a copy from a composite material. 

I would use this with my Kustom Composites player helmet. 

For reference: 

3F658B0F-A102-40D8-91B0-9BFE845A90F4.jpeg

Very interesting - I've never seen this one: not in the wild, nor in captivity!

Is the one pictured yours? If so, could you share some more pics? :)

@Lucky Pucker Just got it in the Post...

It is filthy. No, not in the vein of “sick”, “ill” or “cool”, but literally dirtier than the men’s loo at a Petrol station in the hood!!! 

I need to clean it up. It is totally unusable as-is. Buttons/rivets/snaps show the typical Jofa corrosion, and the cage has paint literally popping off. 
It smells like it lived in a smoker’s house for awhile. I smelled the smoke when my wife had pulled in the box from the porch. Blech!!!

The plastic is a nice, thick plastic. With some mods, the mask part could easily be pressed into service now with no concerns for safety; however- I still have an aversion to using close to 30 year old plastic! Also- I want to make a composite version of this! It would literally be one of the easiest composite projects I could do. Now if we could get eight days in a week and still only work five of those days...

Let me clean this thing up. It looks like it could give me the Clap if I put it on my head at this point!

Archived