CCM Premier Pro Chest Protector or Bauer Vapor 1X Chest Protector?

Awgoalie164

On 8/1/2017 at 4:31 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

If you're willing to spend $600, you might as well get a C/A from one of the smaller companies like Passau, Brown or Battram to build you a unit to your exact size with pro level protection. Their turnaround times are better than the major manufacturers custom equipment timetables. 

This

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This I agree with!

The "C&A Shootout" posts are common and I love how helpful and passionate everyone is. However, a C&A is probably the most personalized piece of gear that there is. 

Just consider all the variables:

• tuck or wear out
  • prioritize the order of protection, mobility, and overall weight. You almost always sacrifice one of these to achieve the other 
  • Style of play; blocking vs hybrid 
  • Want a loose fit or tight fight 
  • How much adjustability do you want
  • How long will you own it
  • What level do you play 
  • Do you want waterproof or modern moisture wicking materials 
  • Can you wait for custom or do you need stock
  • oh yeah... budget

@Awgoalie164 I hope you realize we are not trying to complicate this, but this is a tough one! 

Based on all of the feedback, do you what models you are going to most closely look at? 

Which is why I was trying to give the kid advice about what I did when I was 13.  Custom wasn't going to happen because I was growing, there were no big retailers around, I had to mod my stuff.  

No wonder parents complain hockey is too expensive today... kids don't need a custom chesty at 13 years old, they needs to duct tape some foam from an old seat cushion to that shit and get back out there.  Just my $.02

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Which is why I was trying to give the kid advice about what I did when I was 13.  Custom wasn't going to happen because I was growing, there were no big retailers around, I had to mod my stuff.  

No wonder parents complain hockey is too expensive today... kids don't need a custom chesty at 13 years old, they needs to duct tape some foam from an old seat cushion to that shit and get back out there.  Just my $.02

Aw Jayluv is right at your age you should not be considering anything custom for the following reasons:

1) You can get off the shelf products that will meet your needs 

2) Off the shelf products will be less expensive especially if you buy last years model, typically all that changes year to year are aesthetic!

3) If you are not able to try it on - forget about it you will have no idea on how it feels on you/the weight of the unit etc....

4) If you want some detailed information PM I don't want to throw anyone (company) under the bus in front of all

5) Finally my son who is 15 and plays at an elite level just got his first set of custom pads and CA from Brians, reasoning 1) he has used both the Gnetik pads ( 2 sets in the last 3 years ) 2) we bought a SZ 3 CA with some minor mods but again he has the ZS2 and loves plus he has tried the SZ 3 in store 3) reasonable lead times 

15 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Aw Jayluv is right at your age you should not be considering anything custom for the following reasons:

1) You can get off the shelf products that will meet your needs 

2) Off the shelf products will be less expensive especially if you buy last years model, typically all that changes year to year are aesthetic!

3) If you are not able to try it on - forget about it you will have no idea on how it feels on you/the weight of the unit etc....

4) If you want some detailed information PM I don't want to throw anyone (company) under the bus in front of all

5) Finally my son who is 15 and plays at an elite level just got his first set of custom pads and CA from Brians, reasoning 1) he has used both the Gnetik pads ( 2 sets in the last 3 years ) 2) we bought a SZ 3 CA with some minor mods but again he has the ZS2 and loves plus he has tried the SZ 3 in store 3) reasonable lead times 

Ya ik I'm more than likely not gonna get custom because I want it to last for at least 4 years cause it's gonna be expensive 

24 minutes ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Ya ik I'm more than likely not gonna get custom because I want it to last for at least 4 years cause it's gonna be expensive 

Last 4 years unlikely - you are going to grow a lot by the time you are 16-17

18 minutes ago, goalie said:

Last 4 years unlikely - you are going to grow a lot by the time you are 16-17

When I was your age, I need a new C&A 3 years in a row. M, L, then XL. I kept ordering the Simmonds units and moving the arms from unit to unit with me. 

And yeah, my dad was annoyed! But getting cranked in the shoulder or collar bone with a lack protection is no beuno either! 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

When I was your age, I need a new C&A 3 years in a row. M, L, then XL. I kept ordering the Simmonds units and moving the arms from unit to unit with me. 

And yeah, my dad was annoyed! But getting cranked in the shoulder or collar bone with a lack protection is no beuno either! 

I know what you mean cause I'm going through that exact same thing 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's his point.  You're hoping to get something that is going to last you 4 years but since you're 13 you're going to grow a lot by the time you are 16-17...

@Awgoalie164 If you are hypothetically 5-9" now, you will probably be like 6"2" by the time you are 17. Your C&A cannot grow with you that much. 

• 2 months later...

You've probably made your purchase already but... for what it's worth @Awgoalie164 I have the original CCM Premier, and while it "looks big" etc... I've just never liked it as much as I hoped I would. I've worn Vaughn and Brian's before, felt better in them than I've ended up feeling in my current CCM. In fact I've had to make adjustment to the arms just to get it fit better. Again, this all depends on the variables that @TheGoalNet listed previously, but for your purposes as you're growing etc. I'd go Vaughn. Most people at 13 just don't take up enough net to rely on a straight blocking style, so the mobility advantage of Vaughn would be best IMO. If you were a beer leaguer like most of us on here, $600 could be spent at Passau and used for a while as we're done growing (taller anyway.)

If this is reaching you long after your purchase, I hope the season is going well...

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

You've probably made your purchase already but... for what it's worth @Awgoalie164 I have the original CCM Premier, and while it "looks big" etc... I've just never liked it as much as I hoped I would. I've worn Vaughn and Brian's before, felt better in them than I've ended up feeling in my current CCM. In fact I've had to make adjustment to the arms just to get it fit better. Again, this all depends on the variables that @TheGoalNet listed previously, but for your purposes as you're growing etc. I'd go Vaughn. Most people at 13 just don't take up enough net to rely on a straight blocking style, so the mobility advantage of Vaughn would be best IMO. If you were a beer leaguer like most of us on here, $600 could be spent at Passau and used for a while as we're done growing (taller anyway.)

If this is reaching you long after your purchase, I hope the season is going well...

I think he was playing high school in MN? 13 is a tough age because if he makes the varsity team next year, he will be playing against 18 yrs olds on a regular basis. 

That's such a tough time to buy gear because you might still fit into junior gear, but it's not built for who you are playing against! 

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think he was playing high school in MN? 13 is a tough age because if he makes the varsity team next year, he will be playing against 18 yrs olds on a regular basis. 

That's such a tough time to buy gear because you might still fit into junior gear, but it's not built for who you are playing against! 

This is all true but I’m play JV and the shots I’m taking are still beyond my chest and arm protectors abilities now

Archived