Wall Finland vs Wall USA vs Victory

BonesDT

17 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Very nice looking.  Something about the clear mask looks cool to me, maybe its the 90s retro clear gameboy/N64 styling. Are you leaving it clear for good?

I may do some lettering on it, such as my #nocolonstillrollin and #goaliewithanostomy and my Pooper brand marks, but I like the clear look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because I had totally lost faith in my last helmet, I kinda hurried Dave along. I got a nice little note that they were going to add a few things to my helmet; there were even Pooper “decals” on masking tape LOL. I ended up needing this a LOT sooner than I was ready to buy, which royally SUCKS. My bunny devil helmet was probably fine to play in, but psychologically it was what rang my ears for a long time. 

I made the comment to Dave that I should never order a helmet “when I need” it. My spare Protectsport isn’t all that comfortable and could definitely benefit from a repadding to fit me better.  I will keep both Protechsport helmets, one will be a display piece once @parabele fixes the paint.

They were very patient with me, as they could have told me to “kick a big pile of rocks” with me trying to get this as quickly as possible. If I wanted to play, I either needed to refoam one of several helmets, which I don’t have time for at this point or buy something off the peg, something I have even less faith in doing. My infamous Kustom Composites SK2000 was in need of foam, so it wasn’t safe; my spare Protechsport doesn’t fit that well and feels weird on my head. There I was needing a helmet as I am a man on a mission to play as much hockey as humanly possible after missing nine months over the last two years from a debilitating illness.

It’s one thing to cheat death like I did last year due to something I had no control over; it’s another thing to either have no faith in your protective gear or invite problems with a helmet that either does not fit well or has foam falling out. 

If you have the luxury of time, these guys will fix you up; if you don’t, they will try as hard as possible to get you a lid in quick fashion. 

Tried a cheater on my new Victory helmet. To be fair, very few get it right. Many times, the cheater cage is a modified certified cage. The centre horizontal bar goes right in my line of sight on this one.

Moral of the story: if you are stuck on a cheater cage, the Victory may not be for you. Being that 75% of goalies like a cat eye, I think this is minor. I will rock the cat eye...

Took one off the mask. Doink. No ringing, no effect. Mask did it’s job admirably.

One niggle: the sweatband that is stock leaves a bit to be desired. It is super-thin and the velcro fell off. Not a major deal, as 9/10 of us will be replacing it with something else we prefer without thinking about it or even having used it. The sweatband was decently absorbent. It is almost not worth mentioning, but notable enough for those of you without an aftermarket sweatband at the ready. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on the NHL youtube channel; Rinne's (or Rinner as the commentary team are pronouncing it 🤣) first NHL win against the Blackhawks where he's wearing the original Finnish Wall ProActiv.  His active hands style looks a lot more pronounced in this video too.  Makes laugh how the NHL tv production has gone overboard on the whole 'retro' thing and made a 2005 game look like its from 1985!

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in: the shell is a tiny bit big; that being said, the fit is optimised for the terry cloth style sweat bands. I bought four extra on Amazon and should be fit for awhile. Also- if you are on the small side of this helmet, it would be a FANTASTIC candidate for an Unequal liner. I may put one in when I re-pad/refurb this helmet.

I do have it fitting well adding the 1/4” thick dual density foam and cranking down the chin cup.  Sightlines are perfect with the cat eye cage. If one gets bent up, I will send one to Olympia Composites to have them make a new cheater using the bent up cage as a template. The cheater offered is just not made for this helmet, sad to say; however- if you have a 960 and want a cheater, this one will fit your lid and I will sell it CHEAP!!!! The cheater is simply a less popular option and is generally overlooked by the market. I am not going to trash Dave or Victory Helmet over this, but it shows you that the Cat Eye is clearly the option to have for your cage if you buy a Victory. This is not a problem for 75% of customers. 

Took a few more hits to this and got a few in the cage. Polycarbonate is a great material if used properly. The helmet disperses shock in a way that stiff composites can’t. Whilst not giving up on composites (as it is no secret that I am still working on my own design), I have to say that a low “thonk” feels and sounds better than the higher pitched “doink” that a composite helmet (as currently designed) gives with a hit to the head. 

As far as Dave and the gang goes: they are a first class organisation. They are definitely on par with Michel/Protechsport. If you are looking for something different, you would be well-rewarded by giving Victory Helmet a try. 

Archived