2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Haha, don't worry @coopaloop1234... we'll have some new Warrior gear to talk about sooner or later 

And you've got admit... how much cooler could this place get if everyone gave us as much access as Brian's? :headbang:

I'm all for talking about any piece of gear. :D

Would definitely be cooler. Super Cool. Radical Cool.

index.jpg

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

V2's were made before the the rule to mandate pads to no more than 11" in width.

Yeah - I was aware of that. In fact, I question if 12'" was ever a real "rule" (as opposed to just some pushing of the boundaries along with the general apathy that went toward gear sizes in the '80s)  it was 11" in the 70s. To that end, I think the rule was, because kapok, deer fur and horsehide would "slough" after a while, a pad considered "well worn" could actually be measure up to 11.5" and still be legal. Perhaps that's where the slip to 12" got its start. IMO it's not an advantage from a mobility standpoint. I look forward to someday purchasing an 11" pad.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Interesting, that I was unaware of.  

I wonder if the pads go slightly under to account for 'settling' that happens once they're worn in. Over time, the structure of will usually break down a bit and widen the pad by a small increment (picture a person with good posture slouching a bit). I'm not sure how much this happens with more modern, butterfly pads, but it used to be incredibly noticeable.

Say a goalie's pads have settled in a bit and are widened by just a modicum. The team they're playing accuses the goalie of wearing illegal pads, the league measures them, and find they are 11.2", -- that manufacturer's not going to look too good, and they're going to have a pissed-off client who was just embarrassed for having illegally-sized gear on their hands. Not a good look. So maybe they go a hair or two under 11" to avoid the risk of any problems down the line.

That, or it could just be some shoddy Bauer manufacturing...

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Fine with me.  I don't think pads need to be 11" anymore either.  I'd be fine with a 10" pad.

I think you're in the minority on that one my friend 

think the majority of goalies would be furious to learn if their pads not 11" or their glove was not max NHL size 

Archived