2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

13 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Fine with me.  I don't think pads need to be 11" anymore either.  I'd be fine with a 10" pad.

The game now requires a slimmer pad. I tried playing the modern game with a 12" pad and it was cumbersome. I am not certain about a 10" pad, but then again, I would surmise that most people would not tell much of a difference if they had a 10" pad and did not know it. I imagine most pads are nowhere near 11" wide out of the factory. My glove? You had better believe I want the MAX I can use.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I guess I'm in the minority here but I agree, I'd rather have a 10.5 " pad than a 12 or even 11.5. And I really think you're really stretching if you ever try to blame a goal against on a 1/4" difference in pad width.

I think we have to be a bit more pragmatic here though. This is not a piece of steel we're machining here where you can say it will be 11" wide and can guarantee that to +/-0.001". Don't forget the rule says 11" MAX.  I suspect because of things like material shrink/stretch variability between lots, foam packing variations, stretch/slough over time , even thread stretch etc, etc, that the tolerance on pads is not an easy number to nail down. That 1/4" under is probably there for a reason. I'm sure the last thing a manufacturer wants is to have some recall because their pads are all coming out 1/8" too wide.

9 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

First I guess I'm in the minority here but I agree, I'd rather have a 10.5 " pad than a 12 or even 11.5. And I really think you're really stretching if you ever try to blame a goal against on a 1/4" difference in pad width.

I think we have to be a bit more pragmatic here though. This is not a piece of steel we're machining here where you can say it will be 11" wide and can guarantee that to +/-0.001". Don't forget the rule says 11" MAX.  I suspect because of things like material shrink/stretch variability between lots, foam packing variations, stretch/slough over time , even thread stretch etc, etc, that the tolerance on pads is not an easy number to nail down. That 1/4" under is probably there for a reason. I'm sure the last thing a manufacturer wants is to have some recall because their pads are all coming out 1/8" too wide.

First of all, don't underestimate my ability to blame anything but myself for a goal against. :P

As well, as much as I know where you're coming from with the second part of your comment. Aside from the pros (College/CHL -> NHL). I doubt that pads being a smidgen larger will lead to a recall.

Agreed – “recall” was probably not the best term to use. I would assume they monitor the pro stuff pretty closely, but then it’s probably pretty close to the definition of one-off custom, so they can take the extra time to get it bang on.

With larger production runs, they probably hedge their bets with a slightly smaller pad width to allow a greater margin before the system, as the process statistical analysis people would say “goes out of control”

17 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Agreed – “recall” was probably not the best term to use. I would assume they monitor the pro stuff pretty closely, but then it’s probably pretty close to the definition of one-off custom, so they can take the extra time to get it bang on.

With larger production runs, they probably hedge their bets with a slightly smaller pad width to allow a greater margin before the system, as the process statistical analysis people would say “goes out of control”

And a bit less foam saves money!!!!

I was just being nitpicky haha. But you're definitely right.

That's a very rationale point and could definitely play into it. The 2 pads in question are both mass produced off shore. As a retail consumer, we never think about the manufacturability of our gear. 

My inner skeptic still questions if help cheats with the weight though 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

My inner skeptic still questions if help cheats with the weight though 

That's a good call actually. Taking off a 1/4" to save a few ounces to be able to say you have the lightest pad on the market?

It's a pretty low risk/high reward in a marketing/sales mindset. Your customers won't notice, hell, we're all gear heads and this is all new info to us, and you get the huge benefit to reel in sales based upon a very highly marketable feature.

While some may see it as scummy, I think it's pretty intelligent.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's a good call actually. Taking off a 1/4" to save a few ounces to be able to say you have the lightest pad on the market?

It's a pretty low risk/high reward in a marketing/sales mindset. Your customers won't notice, hell, we're all gear heads and this is all new info to us, and you get the huge benefit to reel in sales based upon a very highly marketable feature.

While some may see it as scummy, I think it's pretty intelligent.

well explained 

I had some snr-level Vaughn V3 SLW's back in 2011 and out of the box they were between 10" - 10.5" in width. Assumed at the time that they did it to ensure that mass produced pads were 'definitely' under the 11" accounting for any slight variations in the factories, or as someone else said how they'd eventually settle.

Coming from full 12" V1's though, I remember them seeming terrifyingly slim! xD

On 9/23/2017 at 10:04 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Isn't it stock?

To clearify my point, there's lots of "Stock" options that Pros discard. That Y shaped T on the original Velo comes to mind. It was a  radical new designs that didn't stick 

I was posting Halak to show that pros are using the BOA and it's gained acceptance  

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

To clearify my point, there's lots of "Stock" options that Pros discard. That Y shaped T on the original Velo comes to mind. It was a  radical new designs that didn't stick 

I was posting Halak to show that pros are using the BOA and it's gained acceptance  

Our goal was to come up with a line that is game ready and able to use at all levels and not be overbuilt for younger goalies or beer league goalies but also not underbuilt for pro/college goalies.. Sometimes tough to find the happy medium but believe we finally achieved that... the boa and the other innovations on the optik line is also an extension of that.. we didn't want a 'gimmick' that wouldn't prove useful at the highest levels, if the guys weren't going to use it we weren't going to invest the time/money into it.. the BOA stays tight and keeps their hand in control... its a huge upgrade from former Brian's glove set ups.

57 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

To go along with this, it's nice to see pro goalies finally embracing the smart straps (and the other versions of the same idea by other companies). Seems the traditional toe ties are going to be the last thing to go, though... 

Archived