NHL - Nationality/US State Demographics

seagoal

Really interesting charts put together by my buddy who runs NHLtoSeattle, a grassroots organization here in town stirring up interest and awareness for hockey for the past several years.

Couple of interesting points:

-% of all NHL players who are Canadian at an all time low

-% of all NHL players who are American at an all time high

-31 US States represented in the NHL currently,  highest ever.

This info was published here

https://nhltoseattle.com/2019/12/05/nhl-players-nationality-and-birth-state/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

percent-by-nationality.png

3-time-frames.png

EDIT: I just chatted with him and he's working on this for me/the world:  of all players within a nationality, what % are goalies?  I bet Finland has the highest %.

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

The stranger thing is that a first round pick is from Arizona (Auston Matthews), which twenty years ago would have only happened if they were born there, but raised in a traditional hockey market, like in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin or in Canada.  

Yeah, the expansion of hockey in the US with NHL expansion has been remarkable. 

It's one good thing under Bettman that has been achieved, for sure.

21 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, the expansion of hockey in the US with NHL expansion has been remarkable. 

It's one good thing under Bettman that has been achieved, for sure.

There are plenty of questionable things Bettman did during his tenure, but you can’t deny that hockey has expanded exponentially in that time.

Here's some data on what % of each nationality are goalies from last season, very likely not significantly different this season. 

My theory was Finland as the highest which is technically incorrect but the only higher % are from statistically less signficant #s.  So I was almost-ish correct.

Screenshot_20191211-105107_Sheets.jpg

Archived