Thin or No Sweatband?

Punisher Goalie

I have been struggling with fit/comfort issues with my masks. Although I have long been a proponent of the performance of 37.5 sweatbands, I would like to try experimenting with a much thinner band. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Alternatively, has anyone removed the sweatband (and Velcro obviously) and gone without? I went for 30 years as a player with no sweatband so I’m wondering if I even need it. I thought maybe those stick-on Shock Doctor liners might even be worth a shot. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I make my own thin shamwow sweatbands. All I do is cut some shamwow material that is the correct width and twice the correct height. I then fold the material in half top to bottom and use a hot glue gun to keep the material folded over. I've been doing this for years and have never had the hot glue come apart in the wash or dryer (though I typically air dry them). No sewing skills needed and you can make a. bunch in just a few minutes. They're very thin but still absorb lots of sweat.

I personally couldn't play without a sweatband. Too much sweat runs in to my eyes. Back in the day when I wore an SK2000 I would go nuts during games as sweat would occasionally practically blind me during game play.

5 hours ago, Peanutbutterfly said:

I make my own thin shamwow sweatbands. All I do is cut some shamwow material that is the correct width and twice the correct height. I then fold the material in half top to bottom and use a hot glue gun to keep the material folded over. I've been doing this for years and have never had the hot glue come apart in the wash or dryer (though I typically air dry them). No sewing skills needed and you can make a. bunch in just a few minutes. They're very thin but still absorb lots of sweat.

I personally couldn't play without a sweatband. Too much sweat runs in to my eyes. Back in the day when I wore an SK2000 I would go nuts during games as sweat would occasionally practically blind me during game play.

I will give this a try. I’m pretty comfortable with a sewing machine. Thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When I used to play player I never wore a sweatband either. But carrying less gear, being less sweaty overall, and having the wind at your face helps with keeping your face dry and clear from sweat.

I couldn't imagine not wearing a sweatband as a goalie. I'm too sweaty of a s.o.b.

Good point about the “wind” being a factor.

I'll second and third Jim's Sham Sweatbands.  They're high quality and very reasonably priced.  He makes an extreme thin that might be the solution.  I think I gave my last one of those away, or I'd give it to you.  I like his blue "thin" ones.

Vogel's bamboo ones are also very comfortable.  I'm having some durability issues since the material snags a lot, but they're super comfortable, not that thin though.

I was watching this thread in great anticipation to see if anyone went sweat band free.

I think the answer is what I had expected: zero.

I broke the least amount of sweat in drop in yesterday as ever mainly due to actual defense played and switching every 20 minutes. My sweatband? Still sopping wet! Hell- if the changing room had any semblance of heat on, I can start to break a sweat by the time I get my sweater on over my chesty. Some days, the sweater is harder to get on over the chesty than others LOL

I like the Shamwow sweatbands, as I tried one and was really impressed by it. 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I was watching this thread in great anticipation to see if anyone went sweat band free.

I think the answer is what I had expected: zero.

I broke the least amount of sweat in drop in yesterday as ever mainly due to actual defense played and switching every 20 minutes. My sweatband? Still sopping wet! Hell- if the changing room had any semblance of heat on, I can start to break a sweat by the time I get my sweater on over my chesty. Some days, the sweater is harder to get on over the chesty than others LOL

I like the Shamwow sweatbands, as I tried one and was really impressed by it. 

The other day with the new c/a i put my sweater on the unit first then put the whole contraption on ... the arms are so stiff .. worked out good....

as far as headband ... yes!

Archived