Lefevre going solo

cwarnar

On 2/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Ask and ye' shall receive. Now the question is, which other starters in CCM will be making the switch over too?

Smith?
Markstrom?
Jones?
Gibson?
Etc.

Untitled.png.e4412c45f3e9e7abc9e881818685f113.png

I got some insider info last night about who's making the switch, or is at least going to try Lefevre, and let me tell you, I was quite surprised. There's probably 3 more we'll see by the end of the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murray said:

I got some insider info last night about who's making the switch, or is at least going to try Lefevre, and let me tell you, I was quite surprised. There's probably 3 more we'll see by the end of the season.

The two obvious bombshells would be Price and Fleury (Holtby a close third), but I have a hunch we could see (in order of likelihood):

-Hellebuyck

-Smith

-Miller (Fmr Larceny guy)

-Bishop

-Holtby

51 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

The two obvious bombshells would be Price and Fleury (Holtby a close third), but I have a hunch we could see (in order of likelihood):

-Hellebuyck

-Smith

-Miller (Fmr Larceny guy)

-Bishop

-Holtby

Interesting that Smith is testing Ultrasonic. Crow also tried Bauer before reverting to Lefevre.

I still like Hellebuyck and Flower.  I think with Binner doing well he can replace Flower as the CCM poster boy

Edited by cwarnar

On 2/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Neither are Brian's, kenesky, Simmons, or Bartram. 

On 2/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, cwarnar said:

JRZ and Passau.   And the often overlooked Factory Mad

Unabashed Lefevre fanboy checking in here....

Aside from Brian's and maybe JRZ through Bauer, none of these companies can match the track record of Lefevre gear in pro hockey in the last 20 years.  I'm guessing if we tallied pro/junior/college usage by manufacturer, Lefevre/CCM users would outnumber Brian's and JRZ/Bauer by a healthy margin.

In many markets, pricing is used as a tool to control sales and production.  I believe Lefevre has neither the ability, nor desire to be a big retail player... as such, IMO pricing lower than CCM would be suicide.  They do not have access to cheap foreign labor like CCM does (to give an idea on "how cheap is cheap?" - I would guesstimate full adult pro sets from overseas run $200-300 USD). 

18 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

They do not have access to cheap foreign labor like CCM does (to give an idea on "how cheap is cheap?" - I would guesstimate full adult pro sets from overseas run $200-300 USD). 

I would be shocked if a full pro set was fully burdened at more than $300.

A good 'tell' is the quantity and pricing of clearance gear: There is an absolute glut of top-of-the line CCM stuff, but comparatively little  Vaughn and even less Brian's top-of-the-line gear. 

8 hours ago, dualshowman said:

A good 'tell' is the quantity and pricing of clearance gear: There is an absolute glut of top-of-the line CCM stuff, but comparatively little  Vaughn and even less Brian's top-of-the-line gear. 

IIRC

Several months ago, there was a full set of logoless CCM EFlex looking pads on AliExpress going for around that price range.

Options were all the typical CCM options with glove breaks, 1 piece/2 piece glove, strap placement, etc.  I think minimum order was 50 sets.

16 hours ago, dualshowman said:

We need to consider this from another angle. There is a whole issue around supply and minimum order quantities that effects this. There's 8000 things that go on behind the scenes that effects who has what in stock and why. It is not as linear as CCM sells poorly, so we are stuck with inventory. EF4 is the number 1 pad at retail. Clearly people are not too concerned with the quality if it outselling the Canadian made gear.

As an example, If you stock more CCM and less Vaughn, you are probably going to have less Vaughn in stock at the end of the year.  CCM focuses heavily on stock retail purchases and Brian's focuses more on custom. The more custom you do, the less inventory any story will carry. The less inventory you have, the less likely you are to see it discounted at the end of the season.

IMO, selling pro equipment as a stock retail item is one of the major problems with hockey equipment as an industry. It just makes no business sense. Retail drives the equipment companies, not pro, and retail in general broken.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, cwarnar said:

Interesting that Smith is testing Ultrasonic. Crow also tried Bauer before reverting to Lefevre.

I still like Hellebuyck and Flower.  I think with Binner doing well he can replace Flower as the CCM poster boy

I can nearly guarantee that Flower will be in CCM next season. I can absolutely guarantee Price will be in CCM. I also would expect to see CCM branded P2s floating around for guys that are loyal to that product.

Here is my list of guys most potentially like to go Lefevre in order:

Howard

Varly

Markstrom

Subban

Hart

Hutton

Jones

Elliot

Holtby

Rittich

Montembault

Hellebyuck (biggest wild card to me. Could be first on the list if True is really still dancing with Lefevre, as I have heard they are. He is a "True athlete"

Smith (Bauer is more likely)

Gibson

Rinne

Sarros

Bobs

Binnington

Fleury

Price

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

We need to consider this from another angle. There is a whole issue around supply and minimum order quantities that effects this. There's 8000 things that go on behind the scenes that effects who has what in stock and why. It is not as linear as CCM sells poorly, so we are stuck with inventory. EF4 is the number 1 pad at retail. Clearly people are not too concerned with the quality if it outselling the Canadian made gear.

I agree. I did not make it clear what I was referring to: CCM sells huge amounts of pro gear, but they also order huge amounts of pro gear from their non-domestic vendors. The amount of clearance pro-level CCM gear speaks to their economies of scale, something that Brian's and Vaughn, for example, cannot begin to approach with their pro-level gear. I'm sure that the quality is acceptable, but I have no first-hand experience with non-North American CCM gear.

• Like 1

@TheGoalNet CCM's roster is insane... Although 2/3 of those guys could move to Lefevre without CCM or the public batting an eye.  I think its really only us gear heads that follow the sets and specs as close as we do.

For those who are interested it looks like @Trav4oilers is at the Lefevre Factory today and sharing behind the scenes stuff on his Instagram Story

On 2/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I can nearly guarantee that Flower will be in CCM next season. I can absolutely guarantee Price will be in CCM. I also would expect to see CCM branded P2s floating around for guys that are loyal to that product.

Howard

Varly

Markstrom

Subban

Hart

Hutton

Jones

Elliot

Holtby

Rittich

Montembault

Hellebyuck (biggest wild card to me. Could be first on the list if True is really still dancing with Lefevre, as I have heard they are. He is a "True athlete"

Gibson

Rinne

Sarros

Bobs

Binnington

Fleury

Price

Well one of these names is going to suuurrrrrrprise you.

Also, @creasecollector - I'm very much sworn to secrecy on this.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 9:12 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Howard

Varly

Markstrom

Subban

Hart

Hutton

Jones

Elliot

Holtby

Rittich

Montembault

Gibson

Rinne

Sarros

Bobs

Binnington

Fleury

Price

Missed Allen, forget he left Vaughn. 😂

5 hours ago, cuprajake said:

i know people loved ccm etc and this is a great venture for them, 

ive never understood the attraction to ccm gear, heavy, uncomfortable. for me any ways

Have you checked out CCM gear lately? Premier 2 and EFlex4 are much lighter and IMO more comfortable than previous incarnations.

I part-time at a store and get an opportunity to mess around with a lot of gear and CCM has really made great strides in the last couple years.

14 hours ago, cuprajake said:

i know people loved ccm etc and this is a great venture for them, 

ive never understood the attraction to ccm gear, heavy, uncomfortable. for me any ways

2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

Newest ive tried being uk based is the eflex 3.9 pads and a e4.9 glove 

I do have ccm pants which i love. Just not a fan of the pads

Complaining about CCM product in a Lefevre appreciation thread but has only handled senior level gear.  I love the internet.

• Haha 1

Sorry for having an opinion. 

Its relevent because the guy who designed it for the last 30yrs is now making his own, id guess with a hell of a lot less buying power too for materials. 

If were being arsey ive had

Rbk p1 pro

Rbk prem 2 pro return 

I was asked what id tried from the latest ccm offering. 

Bar the newest lines, ccm/rbk has hardly changed 

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

Sorry for having an opinion. 

Its relevent because the guy who designed it for the last 30yrs is now making his own, id guess with a hell of a lot less buying power too for materials. 

If were being arsey ive had

Rbk p1 pro

Rbk prem 2 pro return 

I was asked what id tried from the latest ccm offering. 

Bar the newest lines, ccm/rbk has hardly changed 

You don’t need to apologize, I just find it really silly that you’re basing an opinion on only seeing the low end gear.  And the last set you owned was from...2008? 

Its like saying a Shelby Mustang is slow because you test drove a base model.  They’re not the same product.