Lefevre going solo

cwarnar

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, Gregory Lee said:

Hi goalies,

I'm wondering who's going to get the pro's mask contract. I believe the masks are made by Bombadier. So will they be CCM or Lefevre?

Cheers,

Leebo

Greg find the post - Insider info CCM/Lefevre you’ll find your answer. We know have access to the same masks that the CCM Pros where using!

On 2/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

$2790 USD / $3680 CAD for a set. So $500 CAD more than getting a current Eflex4. Which is in line with the past posts in this thread, well actually higher.

Kind of unreal to be honest. Maybe I just don't align with their strategy, but wouldn't pricing below what is essentially your largest competitor (CCM) be a wiser move than charging more?

You have two, almost identical sets of pads, but you have one with a more familiar brand that's cheaper and has more "tech" (CCM) Vs. a more expensive, less well known name.

I don't know guys, just seems like a weird way to try to penetrate the market.

I see it as a little arrogant, but at the same time good business sense. He is not a "nobody" or new to the game, he shrewdly kept his name on the CCM/KOHO pads for decades in case this day would come where he parted ways with them. He's well connected and already has a bunch of pros in his new pads. He can charge top-dollar and still have people lined up outside his door to buy pads, so why shouldn't he? He probably won't do the same volume CCM does, but business is about profit, not volume. And the price for a Canadian made Lefevre set compared to a Chinese CCM set cost only about 15% more, so to me that puts me in the direction of  choosing Lefevre over CCM. Well, hypothetically at least, I'm not a fan of his gear 😄 

• 1 month later...

Interview with Zach Fucale about Lefevre gear.

At 27:30, they mention Lefevre masks and chest protectors are coming.

At 31:25 - L87 and L12 are the same pad. Just different graphics.

At 39:05 - L20 is 4.7 lbs, L12 is 4.8 lbs, L4 is 4.9 lbs. Didn't mention what size the pads were.

At 40:00 - Sticks are in the cards, but that will be further down the line.

At 42:15 - Good look at the backside of the L20 pad.

At 51:26 - FRS strapping system is only available on the L20. May come to L12 next year.

At 53:00 - They state to expect a lot of goalies in Lefevre gear in the new season.

7 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Interview with Zach Fucale about Lefevre gear.

At 27:30, they mention Lefevre masks and chest protectors are coming.

At 31:25 - L87 and L12 are the same pad. Just different graphics.

At 39:05 - L20 is 4.7 lbs, L12 is 4.8 lbs, L4 is 4.9 lbs. Didn't mention what size the pads were.

At 40:00 - future sticks are in the cards, but down the line.

Interested to see what they do with masks. Will they be certified? Will there be custom options? I would hope they have custom options, but given the cost of their pads I'm sure they won't be on the cheap side.

Thanks for posting that up ZG, it was a good listen to start my workday.  Honestly, the most interesting thing to me was that they're patenting the FRS system.  You don't often see goalie companies go to the expense of doing that as it's easy enough to change things slightly and get around the patent.

There was some earlier conversation about pro guys making the switch and that CCM should be worried. At this point in time, I think CCM may be regretting that they couldn't come to terms with Lefebvre and continue their relationship. But the reality is  Lefebvre is only producing pro grade catchers, blockers and pads in adult sizing. For now anyway. Most gear sold at the retail level is that 2nd tier & entry level/ junior gear. No sticks, skates, accessories, certified products (neck guards & masks) etc. CCM will be fine

1 hour ago, ULTIMA said:

There was some earlier conversation about pro guys making the switch and that CCM should be worried. At this point in time, I think CCM may be regretting that they couldn't come to terms with Lefebvre and continue their relationship. But the reality is  Lefebvre is only producing pro grade catchers, blockers and pads in adult sizing. For now anyway. Most gear sold at the retail level is that 2nd tier & entry level/ junior gear. No sticks, skates, accessories, certified products (neck guards & masks) etc. CCM will be fine

Well here's the thing - and this is coming from a guy who placed an order for 20.1s.

There's very little value-added benefit ordering Lefevre gear right now.
During the interview, they pretty much said so themselves: the 4.1 is a Premier, the 12.1 and L87 are Eflexes. 
On top of that, you're paying a premium ($2800 USD for Canadian made gear, but still a premium) with no added performance benefits.
They literally took what they had before and gave it a new logo and graphic...if I were them, I would have gone to market by finding a way to cut weight or improve some functionality in each of the lines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, Chenner29 said:

Well here's the thing - and this is coming from a guy who placed an order for 20.1s.

During the interview, they pretty much said so themselves: the 4.1 is a Premier, the 12.1 and L87 are Eflexes. 
On top of that, you're paying a premium ($2800 USD for Canadian made gear, but still a premium) with no added performance benefits.
They literally took what they had before and gave it a new logo and graphic...if I were them, I would have gone to market by finding a way to cut weight or improve some functionality in each of the lines.

Isn’t that what the did with the 20.1’s?

The 20.1's are supposed to be a completely new model - I'm guessing what the OP meant was that, if Lefevre knew that CCM was still running with the EFlex line, they'd market some value / distinction into the Lefevre 12.1 / L87 by saying something like "we've reduced weight and added X and Y to the 12.1" or "the L87 is how we originally conceived the EFlex line" etc so there'd be a justifiable reason for someone to shell out the extra $ that buying Lefevre entails.

For the dispassionate doesn't-care-about-brands or where its built customer, there wouldn't seem to be much to persuade you to get a set of 12.1s over a set of Eflexs - Lefevre appears to be content relying on their historic reputation to pull people in. 

That said, Lefevre seem to be doing pretty well on reputation alone so far and pulling over plenty of pros! Certainly will be interesting to see how next seasons NHL looks with the numbers of Lefevre vs Axis. 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, Chenner29 said:

I feel like weight reduction or increased functionality (maybe via the new strapping system from the 20.1)  will be the .2 iteration of each line.  For now I think the prices were set where they were to keep demand at a level Lefeve felt like they could deal with.  If you're not selling enough gear you can always cut prices or run a sale.  On the other hand, if you're overwhelmed with demand and can't keep up your reputation can be harmed long term.  I probably will never get the chance to try their gear, but I think their initial strategy has been pretty well executed.

I agree with at  @Puckstopper regarding their strategy. I'll go one step more and say that it takes some stones to offer 'legacy' lines (pun entirely intended for us older goalies) next to a new release. They have confidence in their designs and likely did enough market research to know that there will be enough takers. Plus, I'm pretty sure the dies and such for the 3 lines outside of the L20.1 are amortized.

If you're all not yet aware, CCM Axis pricing is right in line (in USD) with Lefevre's pricing for the 20.1 glove and blocker, and 100 USD less for the pads. If I was in the market for either, I would lean towards made in Canada. I haven't purchased a pair of leg pads at full retail since 1998, but $100 wouldn't make or break my decision if I already had nearly $2000 to throw at the wall for pro gear... to be used in beer league.

Also, is CCM now, without Lefevre, simply making a replica EFlex line? Is there not any value in having the original designer of the pad also act as the manufacturer? I understand that the majority of CCM Eflex sets on the market were not made by Lefevre or in Canada, but now that the retail option exists for those that want the EFlex line, isn't there added value to having them made in Canada by Lefevre? Or (my comical, BS take) shouldn't CCM drastically reduce the price of their non-domestically made gear knowing that we all know about economies or scale, the lower cost of off-shore labor, and, therefore, CCM's obviously larger margins?

1 hour ago, dualshowman said:

If you're all not yet aware, CCM Axis pricing is right in line (in USD) with Lefevre's pricing for the 20.1 glove and blocker, and 100 USD less for the pads. If I was in the market for either, I would lean towards made in Canada. I haven't purchased a pair of leg pads at full retail since 1998, but $100 wouldn't make or break my decision if I already had nearly $2000 to throw at the wall for pro gear... to be used in beer league.

Lefevre (anything) is $160CAD more than the Axis line. 

Lefevre (Anything) is almost $500 CAD more than the Eflex 4 line.

Archived