Lefevre going solo

cwarnar

45 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Lefevre (anything) is $160CAD more than the Axis line. 

Lefevre (Anything) is almost $500 CAD more than the Eflex 4 line.

Perhaps it's more marketed to the pros? I'm not sure. But, I will say from pictures and not seeing this pad first hand nothing pushes me to get it or try it, I see no weight reduction mainly, strapping relatively the same as before. Made in Canada I could care less about right now as a beer league goalie. 

44 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Perhaps it's more marketed to the pros? I'm not sure. But, I will say from pictures and not seeing this pad first hand nothing pushes me to get it or try it, I see no weight reduction mainly, strapping relatively the same as before. Made in Canada I could care less about right now as a beer league goalie. 

You can see weight reduction? 

47 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's a lefebvre pad, it's arguably the most popular pad in goalies ever. I don't think they're just marketing to pros but to their legacy. 

The pricing structure has always been a question for myself and others, but I was just responding to @dualshowman for what my pricing comparison came up with. 

Though I am highly curious to see that the Axis pad is so much compared to the past CCM offerings for, as far as I have been able to tell, essentially the same pad as a Premier. I wonder if the Eflex 5 (or whatever they rebrand it too) will carry the price increase. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's a lefebvre pad, it's arguably the most popular pad in goalies ever. I don't think they're just marketing to pros but to their legacy. 

The pricing structure has always been a question for myself and others, but I was just responding to @dualshowman for what my pricing comparison came up with. 

Though I am highly curious to see that the Axis pad is so much compared to the past CCM offerings for, as far as I have been able to tell, essentially the same pad as a Premier. I wonder if the Eflex 5 (or whatever they rebrand it too) will carry the price increase. 

No doubt, they are legendary.  I'm just wondering what their strategy moving forward is on such a high cost?  With the Canadian dollar the way it is, this is very inviting for the US market for sure, I just don't see kids here in Canada going to purchase it with the cost involved.  When you have cheaper options as you mentioned.

I guess we'll see.  They want to be their own boss on this one.

30 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

@coopaloop1234 I do find it fascinating that there isn't a sliding scale accounting for domestic (Canadian) purchase considering that a US-side purchase is essentially comparable to other brands. Is this typically true for Brian's and Vaughn, as well?

CCM with the Axis line is now the same price in CAD as Brians and just a tad more than Vaughn/Bauer. (all prices in CAD) 

Lefebvre - $2,199

CCM Axis/Brians - $2,099 

Vaughn - $2,079

Bauer 2X - $2,049

Bauer 2S - $1,999 (I expect the Ultrasonic to match the 2x Price)

CCM P2/Eflex 4 - $1,999

Warrior - $1,999

There's a 10% difference between buying a CCM eflex (with more tech) than a Lefebvre Eflex. Sorry, 12.1. 

I do wonder if CCM/Bauer's MRSP's are a factor in all of this, especially when we being in the weak CAD. With CCM/Bauer restricting sales across the border, they're able to control their pricing a bit better. Tack on a strong USD and the made in Canada goods become more desirable as the pricing is more in line. Something we don't seem to benefit from here in Canada. 

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

CCM with the Axis line is now the same price in CAD as Brians and just a tad more than Vaughn/Bauer. (all prices in CAD) 

Lefebvre - $2,199

CCM Axis/Brians - $2,099 

Vaughn - $2,079

Bauer 2X - $2,049

Bauer 2S - $1,999 (I expect the Ultrasonic to match the 2x Price)

CCM P2/Eflex 4 - $1,999

Warrior - $1,999

There's a 10% difference between buying a CCM eflex (with more tech) than a Lefebvre Eflex. Sorry, 12.1. 

I do wonder if CCM/Bauer's MRSP's are a factor in all of this, especially when we being in the weak CAD. With CCM/Bauer restricting sales across the border, they're able to control their pricing a bit better. Tack on a strong USD and the made in Canada goods become more desirable as the pricing is more in line. Something we don't seem to benefit from here in Canada. 

Lefevre US pricing: $2,789.97 for a full set (not including shipping)

Switching that back to CAD: $3879.31

Lefevre purchased through Goalie Crease: $2473.37 for a full set (shipping included)

Switching that back to CAD: $3438.84

I saved over $450 CAD by buying through a retailer instead of direct (Thanks @BadAngle41)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Tack on a strong USD and the made in Canada goods become more desirable as the pricing is more in line. Something we don't seem to benefit from here in Canada. 

Clearly there is no benefit to shopping domestically, which is a real shame considering how much better it is for local and domestic economies do as much local and domestic business as possible. But then the government knows this, and hopes you take the bait and spend as much as possible on domestic and local goods. A cursory look shows that I can purchase a Vaughn VE8 mitt for over 100 USD less than here in the States from a Canadian shop, and this shop will ship to the US. That's insanity. 

51 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Lefevre US pricing: $2,789.97 for a full set (not including shipping)

Switching that back to CAD: $3879.31

Lefevre purchased through Goalie Crease: $2473.37 for a full set (shipping included)

Switching that back to CAD: $3438.84

I saved over $450 CAD by buying through a retailer instead of direct (Thanks @BadAngle41)

Thank you for posting this. The Lefevre model is clearly not to sell direct, but they will sell to you should you care to buy through them. Saving 300 USD on a pro set of gear is no joke.

22 hours ago, dualshowman said:

Thank you for posting this. The Lefevre model is clearly not to sell direct, but they will sell to you should you care to buy through them. Saving 300 USD on a pro set of gear is no joke.

I wasn't making a remark on the Lefevre business model.
Assuming they are charging the same price retail as they do direct (which is the case here) Lefevre actually nets more on direct orders as they do not pay retail markup.  The order process is 99% the same.  The only difference when ordering from a retailer is the customer provides a code for the retailer to punch in.

If you take Lefevre's online CAD pricing, gloves and pads run $3389.97 (price shipped from Goalie Crease: $3438.84, so yes, their retail and direct pricing is basically the same for CAD customers) - Compare that to their US pricing ($2789.97) converted to CAD ($3879.31).

$3879.31 (US price converted) - $3389.97 (CAD advertised price) = $489.34 total markup for US customers

• 1 month later...

Just saw a IG story from Lefevre that showed the brain trust holding a 12.2 prototype (unskinned pad). This is for anyone leaning toward a 12.1 or 87.1 (myself included) - any insiders to the goalie pad manuf/marketing process have an idea of how long until they might release this gen 2 version? Since the 12.1 is essentially a reskinned EF4 thats been out for a year plus, they are probably coming up releasing their gen 2 stuff to keep pace, no?

One can assume one of the new features of the 12.2 will likely be the "fast rotation system" feature they only put into 20.1, but just guessing.

• 5 weeks later...

Got word from Rance at the crease that the factory is shutting down for 2 weeks (not COVID related, I think it's a province-wide shutdown - Passau had the same thing when I was neck guard sales for them). 

My set is basically ready to go (ugh).  It's expected to ship from Lefevre to the Crease on the 7th, and I'll get them a week or so after he receives them.

For those wondering on lead time, Lefevre opened back up from COVID shut down on 5/11.  My order went in that day.  So I guess we're looking at 12 weeks to completion.  IIRC, Lefevre shut down for about 3-4 weeks in April when COVID first hit.  Considering all the catch up they had to do, I don't think the wait was too bad.

Obviously there's been the lockdown and not all rinks around the world have re-opened but i'm still seeing people posting questions about sizing, breaks, strapping etc of other pads.

Other than this thread, i'm struggling to remember anyone (non-pro) posting about ordering/being interested in the Lefevre gear or any reviews. (other than Trav on Youtube)

Is this due to the price? Current Coronavirus crisis?

Seems strange they have all the history and fan fare but the boards and even their instagram feed is pretty scarce on pictures of completed pads for 'normal' customers.

20 minutes ago, StevenC said:

Obviously there's been the lockdown and not all rinks around the world have re-opened but i'm still seeing people posting questions about sizing, breaks, strapping etc of other pads.

Other than this thread, i'm struggling to remember anyone (non-pro) posting about ordering/being interested in the Lefevre gear or any reviews. (other than Trav on Youtube)

Seems strange they have all the history and fan fare but the boards and even their instagram feed is pretty scarce on pictures of completed pads for 'normal' customers.

Higher Price Point + Smaller Factory + COVID Shutdown = scarcity among the plebs.

I'm sure we will start to see more of these sets start to trickle out to the Junior leagues and then the beer leagues in the coming months. But there is a lot of focus on it among the goalie social media pages that garner a lot of attention from the public.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Higher Price Point + Smaller Factory + COVID Shutdown = scarcity among the plebs.

I'm sure we will start to see more of these sets start to trickle out to the Junior leagues and then the beer leagues in the coming months. But there is a lot of focus on it among the goalie social media pages that garner a lot of attention from the public.

This ^^ but they seem pretty quick to respond to general (non pro) questions too. I DMed them on IG about sizing and was pointed to their customer email address. Had a 4 or 5 email exchange with Stephen about sizing and some other spec questions. They’ll also point you to preferred retailers in your area (if any) as those teams sound well versed in their new lines.

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

This ^^ but they seem pretty quick to respond to general (non pro) questions too. I DMed them on IG about sizing and was pointed to their customer email address. Had a 4 or 5 email exchange with Stephen about sizing and some other spec questions. They’ll also point you to preferred retailers in your area (if any) as those teams sound well versed in their new lines.

100% agree... Stephen Trottier was super responsive as I tried to coax L20.1 with L87 skin and/or at least FRS in L87. Nothing came from either... but he was great about responding. They know that at their price point the customer service has to be on point.

2 hours ago, StevenC said:

Most people are not able to see the Lefevre gear up close right now and it's the most expensive on the market. They also only offer senior pro models. Until Lefevre partners with another major OEM, which apparently is destiny right now, I think Lefevre will be fairly hard to see in person... Unless you're in Toronto, Montreal, etc where a retailer might have a couple stock sets

I live in Chicago and have decent stores. Even for me, it's hard to find any pro gear at the retail shops to check out. There's usually maybe 1-2 all white setups and that's it? As example, I am not sure if I have ever seen Warrior pro gear here.

• Like 1

i've test Lefevre yesterday my friend has a set , sorry if my english writting is bad ( im french canadian from montreal ) but there what i thing about lefevre , over 4-5 year i've tested all new gear exept for warrior and vaughn ( i don't have any friend with those brand kit )

so the 20.1 pads for me is a little upgrade of P2 from ccm ... strapping is nice but the rebound is really not hard , for your information i have a jrz kit at the moment and the rebound similar to a bauer set , my friend set has the lefevre special sliding material and on my jrz i only have weave , after 2 period he said to me my jrz sliding better 

he played 10 game with lefevre set and the catcher glove already lost is original shape , like all ccm glove 

nothing to say on blocker 

seriously i saw alot of comment about how lefevre is a top line brand but for me its a big no ! it's like 4000$ tax included a set here in montreal and my jrz cost me 2400$  included 

if one day i go back with a nhl brand gear its would be brians for sure but at this moment im really happy with my jrz set 

Edited by Yzueblin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

he played 10 game with lefevre set and the catcher glove already lost is original shape , like all ccm glove 

What do you mean here? I'd say every glove changes it's shape during break in process. And I'm not sure if it means anything negative in how the glove is performing.

And then again, hasn't CCM gloves been LeFevre gloves in the past? And LeFevre is going to change things in the future upgrades maybe, if they see any need to change anything.

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yeah that's kind of what i thought.  Still seems strange that people were loosing their minds about them breaking away from CCM and having the chance to wear gear with the old school Leferve name, but seems very few people are gearing up to put an order in.

Glove wise, it would seem it has quite a soft 'T-bar' and folds in on its self - is that what Yzueblin meant?

30 minutes ago, StevenC said:

Yeah that's kind of what i thought.  Still seems strange that people were loosing their minds about them breaking away from CCM and having the chance to wear gear with the old school Leferve name, but seems very few people are gearing up to put an order in.

Glove wise, it would seem it has quite a soft 'T-bar' and folds in on its self - is that what Yzueblin meant?

That was mentioned in Trav4Oiler's 3-month review of his Lefevre set, and said he would like an option to see it be a reinforced T. He seemed to really like his set, despite a couple cons for each part of the pad/blocker/glove. I'm not familiar with his videos (this was the first I've watched), so I'm not sure how much of that is genuine vs. hype.

37 minutes ago, StevenC said:

As someone who "covers gear", this has been a frustration mine! Love the guys at Lefevre and communicate with them on a semi regular basis.

But, just because a bunch of pros switched to Lefevre when CCM and Lefevre split, has nothing to do with what people are buying at shops.

I bet the Lefevre gear is amazing, but depending on your definition of "take over" Lefevre is far from it.

When they are partner with someone, that could change and it could be like CCM by Lefevre all over again. Time will tell.

This is definitely not something to make an instant judgement on

As far as there pricing goes everyone has a choice in the matter and this is the most capn obvious thing buy it or dont. Im certain its good stuff but I am still payin for a hard divorce and am out of the market for Lefevre but am free of that hag. My choice is second hand or warrior  But its cool to possibly get a famous maker while there independent as they could partner up sooner than later. I may catch it used a few years from now. 

23 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

As someone who "covers gear", this has been a frustration mine! Love the guys at Lefevre and communicate with them on a semi regular basis.

But, just because a bunch of pros switched to Lefevre when CCM and Lefevre split, has nothing to do with what people are buying at shops.

I bet the Lefevre gear is amazing, but depending on your definition of "take over" Lefevre is far from it.

When they are partner with someone, that could change and it could be like CCM by Lefevre all over again. Time will tell.

This is definitely not something to make an instant judgement on

There's almost 2 camps of people 'loosing their minds'

The ones who were happy to see the name Leferve back on gear and'couldn't wait to try it' etc

And the ones who meticulously track Anderson, Binnington, Hart, Price, Varlamov etc and everytime they flip flop between a piece of CCM/Bauer or Leferve gear.

I believe the Leferve gear is top notch and fantastic, thats probably why i'm so surprised there hasn't been a bigger up take yet at the lower talent level.....Covid lock down is probably playing a major part (I'm holding off buying gear until i know the rinks can/will open again!!😅)