Lefevre going solo

cwarnar

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

I'm guessing once the details are ironed out, the Lefevre name will appear on the gear in the show.

I'm sure we'll see the Lefevre name on the gear next season. 

This season? I personally don't think so. One reason is the cost and second, no logos on the gear will get people talking. Especially if they end up having a big star goalie in their gear before the end of the season :) Could be a marketing strategy.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

I'm sure we'll see the Lefevre name on the gear next season. 

This season? I personally don't think so. One reason is the cost and second, no logos on the gear will get people talking. Especially if they end up having a big star goalie in their gear before the end of the season :) Could be a marketing strategy.

I think TGN dropped a hint on instagram with the picture of Wedgewood in his new Lefevre's - maybe the possibility of a licensing agreement with True isn't dead yet?? 

From a business and advertising perspective, it makes very little sense for Lefevre to pay to have their logo on their gear at the NHL level right now.

Up to this point, the guys with sets, or who have sets in the works (Wedgewood, Domingue, Bernier) are all career backups or have been bouncing back and forth between the big league and minors.

Domingue practiced in his Lefevres but still wore his CCMs in a game a couple days ago. 

Put yourself in Lefevre's shoes.  You're going to market with 2 or 3 designs very similar to what CCM has put on the market for the past however many years.  What kind of message does that send when all the starters are wearing CCM and all the backups are wearing Lefevre?

IMO they need to get one or two Tier 1 starters in big markets in order for this to be "worth it," but this comes with its own hurdles as well.

• For those pros that are under contract, Lefevre would have to convince them to break it.  And who knows if CCM comes back and tables more money. 
  • What if said pro has a bad streak in his Lefevres and goes back to CCM because goalies are weird (Remember when Jose Theodore left Vaughn for Itech and also lost his game?)
  • Similar for those pros who do not have an endorsement deal, CCM could always swoop in with some money to sway player decision.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:37 AM, Chenner29 said:

IMO they need to get one or two Tier 1 starters in big markets in order for this to be "worth it," but this comes with its own hurdles as well.

Ask and ye' shall receive. Now the question is, which other starters in CCM will be making the switch over too?

Smith?
Markstrom?
Jones?
Gibson?
Etc.

Untitled.png.e4412c45f3e9e7abc9e881818685f113.png

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Ask and ye' shall receive. Now the question is, which other starters in CCM will be making the switch over too?

Smith?
Markstrom?
Jones?
Gibson?
Etc.

Besides Bernier... Hellybuyck and Jones top my list.  The big question is Flower

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Smith?
Markstrom?
Jones?
Gibson?
Etc.

To be honest, I don't think Crawford is considered a T1 starter any more.  Big market, yes - but his career is certainly winding down, and has had injury issues the last few years.

Smith looks like he's going with Bauer, based on practice pics - unless a set's in the works at Lefevre.

Jones may be a candidate to switch from CCM, he's been playing like hot garbage the last two years.

Gibson would be a great guy to sign except he's in Anaheim (small market)

Markstrom is putting up some pretty solid numbers and is certainly a candidate since he's in a Canadian market.

Helleybuck is a career Lefevre guy, and I can see him making the switch. 

6 hours ago, Telfo said:

I would guess they go hard after some guys this summer and if they get enough to justify the cost, they would pay the fee for next season.

they don't need to most of them they already know for the last decade.  let me ask u if ur friend was the head of a company and then start his own company making the same pads you think u need convincing to use the products?  All the older guys are going to stick with who makes their equipment not the brand the designer.  pete smith leaves warrior, thats whatever brand i goto.  The new young guys maybe change but everyone else stay loyal to what they know.  they dont need to pay everyone already knows from all the social media site, that s why nhl want to charge and get extra revenue.

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

To be honest, I don't think Crawford is considered a T1 starter any more.  Big market, yes - but his career is certainly winding down, and has had injury issues the last few years.

It's funny about Crawford. With his stats and success, you'd expect him to be in a lot of people's minds when they talk about top tier goalies.

But for whatever reason (stacked team) the guy is constantly overlooked.

41 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

$2790 USD / $3680 CAD for a set. So $500 CAD more than getting a current Eflex4. Which is in line with the past posts in this thread, well actually higher.

Kind of unreal to be honest. Maybe I just don't align with their strategy, but wouldn't pricing below what is essentially your largest competitor (CCM) be a wiser move than charging more?

You have two, almost identical sets of pads, but you have one with a more familiar brand that's cheaper and has more "tech" (CCM) Vs. a more expensive, less well known name.

I don't know guys, just seems like a weird way to try to penetrate the market.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

$2790 USD / $3680 CAD for a set. So $500 CAD more than getting a current Eflex4. Which is in line with the past posts in this thread, well actually higher.

Kind of unreal to be honest. Maybe I just don't align with their strategy, but wouldn't pricing below what is essentially your largest competitor (CCM) be a wiser move than charging more?

You have two, almost identical sets of pads, but you have one with a more familiar brand that's cheaper and has more "tech" (CCM) Vs. a more expensive, less well known name.

It's insane... Much higher than Warrior, Brians, Bauer and Vaughn being the big names right now.  I'd be curious how many non-pro orders theyre filling

I recall a goalie buddy of mine getting custom Lefevre pads around '92 or '93 - The classics with the "L" patch on the thigh rise. Those were maybe $100 or more than custom Heaton, Brian's or Vaughn at the time. Just an observation, not a defense. 

Oh, and look at the price of custom Bauer stuff on the Pure Goalie website.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Don't forget - these are not made in China ?

14 hours ago, Big2 said:

Don't forget - these are not made in China ?

There is a big quality difference between made in Canada and made in China. I would assume people would be delighted to see another great brand made in Canada instead of oursourced fareast production like all "big names" are doing to get better margins.

Archived