Pad popoff in Finnish league

Mroy31

This problem doesn't need to be over thought. All it would take is one quick connect buckle on the main calf portion where the hook and loop connect on the outside gusset, preferably slightly recessed so it can't get blown off. It doesn't need to be tight or affect how you currently wear your pad, just enough to keep it during a hard impact.

FWIW, I don't think this is a real problem at all.

16 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

This problem doesn't need to be over thought. All it would take is one quick connect buckle on the main calf portion where the hook and loop connect on the outside gusset, preferably slightly recessed so it can't get blown off. It doesn't need to be tight or affect how you currently wear your pad, just enough to keep it during a hard impact.

FWIW, I don't think this is a real problem at all.

7 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Hey, don't burst the bubble, people need stuff to talk about. 

Yeah, this wasn't ever supposed to be a "this is a problem that needs solving" thread.  Just "hey look at this crazy thing that happened."

The only thing I think related to any of this that maybe could be considered is an exception to the rule about losing equipment, that if a goalie did somehow lose their pad, the play can be blown dead.  But even that, with the rarity of the play, isn't really a burning thing.

6 hours ago, estogoalie said:

...actually I was just thinking, if this was the Vaughn pads with the magnets, forwards could tape reverse polarity magnets in their stick blades and pop off goalies pad straps at will 😆

I like it! 

I could see teams having it as their "secret weapon" in a Game 7 OT moment. Nobody will see it coming...... except us of course who heard it here first ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

It's become a huge distraction.

I had a guy last night get caught in my left pad on a rush play. He didn't carry me out of play much, I'm guessing I was heavy enough to hold my ground, but using straps kept the pad on my leg and I was able to pull my leg back in and have my pad square to the play.

The league is gonna take a deep look into this for next season I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

Which league? :P  Swiss, Finnish...

This time it was a Vaughn pad, @estogoalie, you been spreading info over there?  Or maybe the EVZ Academy team is lurking our boards...

NHL. There will be some complaints, be it for pads detaching, gloves flying off in a scramble, etc. Safety should come first. Then you'll have the abusers, then calls/no calls by refs issues.

Just wait and see.

Thankfully the mask popping off issue is a non negotiable.

Archived