Bauer 2S Pro C/A 3 month review

Mroy31

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back...

I had my eyes on other brands. Vaughn V8 for example but it's a tad pricey. Mckenney's XPG1 or their older 895. Pro returns are far and few and often overpriced. 

I got my hands on the Bauer 2S Pro. It's an XL. I can't remember ever wearing an XL chest pad, which leads me to believe I might of been wearing the wrong size chest protector all my adult life. I was worried about the torso length and especially the arm length since they can't be adjusted. It fits shoulder width, kinda ok on the torso length if I pull on the straps under the floaters, but I have to say I'm still on the fence about it. I have a week or so to decide if I'm keeping it or returning it.

I love the fact that there is no over the shoulder velcro adjustments like every other model on the market. I feel the unit as a whole piece and solid. I tuck in, my pants are XL (Mckenney 855) and it does feel a little weird and puffy but that could just be because it's new. I wish they would of put the loop at the front a notch or two higher as well for lacing in my pants. Something I'll definitely get done if I keep the unit.

It's not too heavy and quite mobile. Although it does feel much bigger than my Large TGC SPEC P1, it's still described as NHL spec and I'm happy with that. I'm more into mobility than size when it comes to chest protectors. The neck sits higher and that will also be an adjustment playing but at least I'll get the added protection at the neckline that I was lacking from my P1 and didn't even realise it.

I do feel that it was built as an untucked unit but i enjoy feeling a close wrap of my ribs for protection so I tuck.

The shoulder caps do feel like football ones given their size and shape compared to my flatter facing ones on the P1.

I don't know what else to add. Any updates from the original poster?

Protection seems fine and should be more than ample for my beer league hockey regardless the level.

Edited by RichMan

• 1 year later...

Coming back with another update. I've worn this unit about 5 times now. Last 2 games I've worn it out and untied and it works well (this one's for you Coop ;) ). I am a little concerned about rib protection though. As an outie it spreads out around my pants creating a fan effect which of course pulls the sides away and slightly exposes my ribs. I haven't been hit there so far but I wonder still. 

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Coming back with another update. I've worn this unit about 5 times now. Last 2 games I've worn it out and untied and it works well (this one's for you Coop ;) ). I am a little concerned about rib protection though. As an outie it spreads out around my pants creating a fan effect which of course pulls the sides away and slightly exposes my ribs. I haven't been hit there so far but I wonder still. 

I never had any issues with the 2S rib protection that wasn't identical to just about any other C/A. 

Just don't get hit there and you'll be fine. ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Shoulder injuries with the 2S? Got nailed in the right shoulder with a wrister, right on the front delt where it meets the bicep. It hurt good and my arm is stiff 2 hours after the game. It'll definitely be worse in the morning and the bruise should start kicking in by tomorrow. Moving the arm are difficult and uncomfortable. 

That spot on the c/a is clearly a open and vulnerable spot. Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. 

I got the same kinda shot with the same result yet lesser pain and discomfort on my left shoulder 2-3 weeks ago.

Any other users get hurt there?

11 hours ago, RichMan said:

Shoulder injuries with the 2S? Got nailed in the right shoulder with a wrister, right on the front delt where it meets the bicep. It hurt good and my arm is stiff 2 hours after the game. It'll definitely be worse in the morning and the bruise should start kicking in by tomorrow. Moving the arm are difficult and uncomfortable. 

That spot on the c/a is clearly a open and vulnerable spot. Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. 

I got the same kinda shot with the same result yet lesser pain and discomfort on my left shoulder 2-3 weeks ago.

Any other users get hurt there?

I don't think I ever really got a stinger in my time using this C/A. But that was also pretty limited. 

Sounds like the unit isn't for you. (or you're 10-ply ;) ) 

I don't mind feeling shots really, I prefer it to know where to look for the rebound, but this one caught me wrong. Was hard working with it today. I'm a have to mod it or look elsewhere 

I'm not the one calling anybody anything here, just filling you in on what Coop meant

• 5 months later...

Coming back for a question...

@Mroy31 and @coopaloop1234 when you wear/wore it, did you find the lower grey flaps useless in the design? I've seen a couple used ones out there (1S/2S) where the flaps were removed. I'm guessing it was to make more room when in your crouch. Seeing how it fits long on me, I was wondering if that would help with the fit or not. I do have the wing straps pulled as tight as they go to keep it up. No interference in the throat or mask.

14 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@Mroy31 and @coopaloop1234 when you wear/wore it, did you find the lower grey flaps useless in the design? I've seen a couple used ones out there (1S/2S) where the flaps were removed. I'm guessing it was to make more room when in your crouch. Seeing how it fits long on me, I was wondering if that would help with the fit or not. I do have the wing straps pulled as tight as they go to keep it up. No interference in the throat or mask.

@Mroy31 hasn't been active in almost two years now. 

Can't say I ever noticed them on my 2S (medium) or Mach (small). 

I'm assuming guys may be removing them to help with the integration between C/A and Jock/Pants when tucking. I don't tuck, so that may be an explanation as to why I don't have issues with them. 

Here's a reminder as to where the belly portion of these C/A's fell on me. Can't remember your situation unfortunately. 

2s.jpg

20231129_142818.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Mroy31 hasn't been active in almost two years now. 

Can't say I ever noticed them on my 2S (medium) or Mach (small). 

I'm assuming guys may be removing them to help with the integration between C/A and Jock/Pants when tucking. I don't tuck, so that may be an explanation as to why I don't have issues with them. 

Here's a reminder as to where the belly portion of these C/A's fell on me. Can't remember your situation unfortunately. 

2s.jpg

20231129_142818.jpg

Yeah, yours runs high compared to mine. I tried to find my pic on here but wasn't successful.

My pro series has the same body design as 2s. I find them fine for me because my chest is a little small, but I can see how it could get in the way of the cup and when they move around it’s really annoying. Not a lot of protection at least in mine maybe 2s pro is different. I think if it’s long and it’s in an area you’re covered why not

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 7:19 PM, pfeiffjay54 said:

My pro series has the same body design as 2s. I find them fine for me because my chest is a little small, but I can see how it could get in the way of the cup and when they move around it’s really annoying. Not a lot of protection at least in mine maybe 2s pro is different. I think if it’s long and it’s in an area you’re covered why not

Actually, your Pro Series is beefed up compared to mine as per the guys at THS. If they had a a large left, I would of considered one with their discount sale.

• Like 1