Cowlings: Graf vs Bauer vs CCM

RichMan

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

It should fit then.  I have seen several that said the Vaughn boot fits perfectly in the Vertex cowling.

Maybe it was the guy who had the issues. He wrote that he had to choose a size up on the cowling which I want to avoid at all cost.

Wish our local shops were better equipped so I can try things out before spending for the actual mod.

5 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Maybe it was the guy who had the issues. He wrote that he had to choose a size up on the cowling which I want to avoid at all cost.

Wish our local shops were better equipped so I can try things out before spending for the actual mod.

That may be the case but when sized correctly I have seen that it is a perfect fit.  For what its worth, the Vertex cowlings aren't as drastic of a change as you size up as it when you size up in Vaughn.  There are several more size offerings to choose from.

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That may be the case but when sized correctly I have seen that it is a perfect fit.  For what its worth, the Vertex cowlings aren't as drastic of a change as you size up as it when you size up in Vaughn.  There are several more size offerings to choose from.

Ya, I know. Vaughn dropped the ball on that one.

17 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I assumed those were the ones you want.  Do you have a line on any?  Do they sell the cowling new by itself or is it something you'll have to find used?

I can get them new at a shop in Montreal or abouts there. The only downside is that they sell the cowling and the blades separately which means more spending. The Bauers I can get as a complete set for a little less.

I did send Vaughn a message last week asking their advice on the matter and have yet to get a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I did exactly that with GX2’s and a CCM cowling 1 size up (9.5 boot 10 cowl) and can say for a fact Vaughn boots don’t fit in rbz cowlings without some surgery as they are too wide. Now I did cut my cowl a la AS1 and it fit perfect.

The only problem I am having is wear on the inside of the boot, I’m thinking I might be able to fix with some clear epoxy. These are definently a step up from my Graf 4500s and the perfect soft/stiff balance to be a comfortable as my old Bauer 7000’s. Pro stock hockey has the Gx2 skates dirt cheap, but I’d probably try one size up on the cowlings, in half sizes at least.

A66AD724-EB97-43AD-AC59-F8FDF0A8F5DE.jpeg

969C2BF4-6F18-4E5D-B15C-6F50686DC8ED.jpeg

6BF94894-BBD8-44B5-86C8-56FEA8BA8550.jpeg

Archived