Does anyone tape their ankles before they play?

creasecollector

I've noticed both Lundqvist (In a recent IG video) and Carey Price tape their ankles. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I'm curious as to why they would feel the need to do so (especially Price, since he's in True/VH boots which are known for the molded fit). Before this, the only goalie I heard who would tape their ankles is Biron due to his old skates having no ankle support. I'm sure more guys do it, but those are the two notable examples I saw recently.

Does anyone here tape their ankles or have done so in the past. If so, why? Did it help?

1593738054_priceskates.thumb.jpg.22be2efeb740b64509748c1ca835ae91.jpg

Image result for henrik lundqvist net cam

2 minutes ago, Ross said:

There’s a good video on the members only InGoal Magazine site of Carter Hutton where he talks about taping his ankles. He says it gives him better side to side support but still allows for good forward flex.

I noticed he also had his True skates modified with what looked like a tight sleeve to mimic that affect as well. 

I use hockey shin tape (the clear stuff) around mine. I have narrow ankles and the True pro returns I have a perfect except for the ankle (it’s really broken in so that’s helps a bit) so I just tape the tongue down and it helps. Eventually I’ll drop the cash for a fully custom skate with an narrower ankle. 

tried that after a ingoalmag video showed someone else doing it and it helps. 

*Only tangentially related to this topic* 

The only taping I've done is a box-weave on a sprained ankle for extra support, but that's in contact with the skin and for support recovering from an injury.  It's very useful in place of any kind of brace because it doesn't change the size/shape of your foot too much.  Even the lowest profile ankle supports designed to go into shoes don't do well with the top 2-3 eyelets of goalie skates.

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

*Only tangentially related to this topic* 

The only taping I've done is a box-weave on a sprained ankle for extra support, but that's in contact with the skin and for support recovering from an injury.  It's very useful in place of any kind of brace because it doesn't change the size/shape of your foot too much.  Even the lowest profile ankle supports designed to go into shoes don't do well with the top 2-3 eyelets of goalie skates.

I;ve done this before as well when I've sprained my ankles also. Just haven't done it long-term while I play, only when injuries force my hand.

Archived