S

bunnyman666

35 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I've used No Icing for my player skates since I get them profiled and the local shops here just can't seem to get that right.  My goalie skates on the other hand remain stock with a straight 1/2" cut, so I've never felt the need to send them out.  

But I just rotate out 2 sets of blades and I always have a freshly sharpened pair that way.  It costs a little extra for shipping back and forth, but worth it for solid consistent sharpenings.  I know some people don't like them, but I've had good luck.

The Sparx machine is more likely to retain profile as there is not variance in how hard one pushes the blade down. And I believe no icing uses a Prosharp, which are very nice, automated machines.  I am just tired of the hassle; it was like pulling teeth to get the Step blades for my Vaughn cowling.  

@bunnyman666 what state/region are you located if you don't mind me asking? I just bought a membership with Total awhile ago for like 25 sharpenings for $40, so I'm gonna be pissed if this is their new policy for all stores. My local store still has a whole section of goalie stuff, but now that I think about it They only have like 1 or 2 sets of the new stuff (EF3, R/GT, 1X, etc.) and told me they don't know when they'll be getting more stock in......hmmmm :shakehead:

12 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

@bunnyman666 what state/region are you located if you don't mind me asking? I just bought a membership with Total awhile ago for like 25 sharpenings for $40, so I'm gonna be pissed if this is their new policy for all stores. My local store still has a whole section of goalie stuff, but now that I think about it They only have like 1 or 2 sets of the new stuff (EF3, R/GT, 1X, etc.) and told me they don't know when they'll be getting more stock in......hmmmm :shakehead:

Near St. Louis, MO.

7 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman the place I go to is below they speak English and FYI I have seen a woman from Vermont drive up there to get about 20 pair of skates sharpened for their skate club! They also have customer in Europe who send their blades via UPS/Fedex 

http://artistedupatin.com/index_fr.php

Thanks for the link.

I guess I am hell-bent on buying a sharpener. I am certain I would be very happy with them, but as mentioned, I had a hell of a time getting Step blades for my Vaughn cowling. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have hung my shingle!!!!

Very, very simple to use. Step extreme out of the holder is difficult to do, but can be done. Player skates are SUPER simple. Goalie skates with regular height are pretty easy. Step extreme on the skate is somewhat difficult. 

For some reason I have just seen this thread.  I have a Sparx and have been using it for about a year (I was a Kickstarter backer).  As you said, forward skates are easy.  Goalie skates are kind of interesting.  I think because I use Step in one set of goalie skates and Tydan in the another it takes more passes to keep the edge fresh, and I really have to take my time cleaning up the edges.  The Sparx does hold to my profiled blades without causing issues.  Every five or so sharpening's I take the skates to my goalie guy to really set the hollow.  For example, I find the Sparx 1/2" hollow is nowhere near as sharp as the 1/2" from the sharpener I go to.  As of last week, I added Wissota machine to my home arsenal and have started to use it for fixing badly dinged blades and restoring the hollow.  Let me know if you want to discuss any of my Sparx experiences (Good and bad).  There is nothing like being able to take care of your skates whenever you want to.  Good luck!

-steve

Glad I revived this thread!

So far I have been impressed, despite the interesting manner in which it takes to sharpen goalie skates. I may fashion my own sling for the step extreme steels for the machine. My plans are to buy a Prosharp if my business takes off.

@beansbats do you attribute the slightly duller hollow to the fewer passes the machine does in general? I will run two passes on my goal skates after banging a post. 

@IPv6Freely I have found that good steel can be deburred quickly with the leather strop. I know that is the preferred method with Coated steel, any way IF it needs it at all. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

So far I have been impressed, despite the interesting manner in which it takes to sharpen goalie skates. I may fashion my own sling for the step extreme steels for the machine. My plans are to buy a Prosharp if my business takes off.

@beansbats do you attribute the slightly duller hollow to the fewer passes the machine does in general? I will run two passes on my goal skates after banging a post. 

@IPv6Freely I have found that good steel can be deburred quickly with the leather strop. I know that is the preferred method with Coated steel, any way IF it needs it at all. 

You're talking about step extreme only, I assume? Otherwise there should be nothing special required for goalie skates. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

You're talking about step extreme only, I assume? Otherwise there should be nothing special required for goalie skates. 

Yes- Bauer Vertexx cowlings not a big deal, Graf are a teeny bit interesting but manageable, but Step Extreme out of the holder, with step extreme in the holder being second are very interesting to sharpen. 

20 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

My suspicions regarding the seemingly lack of hollow might have something to do with the fact that I wear the largest size skate supported by the Sparx, and that the wheel isn't as efficient at either the toe or heel of the steel.  The center portion always seems to cut well, but I don't know.  I use a leather strop and a brillo pad as suggested by Sparx for the finish.

-steve 

2 hours ago, beansbats said:

My suspicions regarding the seemingly lack of hollow might have something to do with the fact that I wear the largest size skate supported by the Sparx, and that the wheel isn't as efficient at either the toe or heel of the steel.  The center portion always seems to cut well, but I don't know.  I use a leather strop and a brillo pad as suggested by Sparx for the finish.

-steve 

The largest Graf goalie skate would probably be the hardest to sharpen, it seems. Interesting.

My wife wants to start skating again, which means I will be the one sharpening. I know I have to buy the figure skating jigs. I have no idea what hollows figure skaters use. I surmise it is 3mm wide or narrower.  

I can definitely see the limitations to this unit. Being that I wear a 7.5 skate, I seem to be in the middle; though my Vaughn cowling is an 8 no matter what, unless it is a size 8.5 or larger. I wonder what size the 8.5-12 is?

Do any of you sharpen for others?

4 hours ago, beansbats said:

I do occasionally sharpen for my friends, and they have been happy with the Sparx results.  The cost to them is very high.... they usually have to drink a beer with me.  I'm not really interested in sharpening for more than a hobby.

-steve

I am actually looking at exploring the possibility of a good side business to do when I retire. If sharpening with a Sparx does well, I want a Prosharp that profiles. I want to also carry steel, tape and laces and do more things. I really like working with skates. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am actually looking at exploring the possibility of a good side business to do when I retire. If sharpening with a Sparx does well, I want a Prosharp that profiles. I want to also carry steel, tape and laces and do more things. I really like working with skates. 

That sounds like fun!  Good luck with it.

You need to setup a trailer like a mini shop and bring it to rinks and all. I've seen guys string tennis racquets this way.

My wife is a dentist and is working on getting a mobile lab setup to bring to tournaments for mouthguards. 

39 minutes ago, MTH said:

You need to setup a trailer like a mini shop and bring it to rinks and all. I've seen guys string tennis racquets this way.

My wife is a dentist and is working on getting a mobile lab setup to bring to tournaments for mouthguards. 

That may be a possibility; just not now because of time...

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Sparx in the trunk of the car :) haha

Archived